Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    If we have Betts, Bellinger, Seager and Lindor long term...I donít care who else is in the lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Cover the most important positions, fill the rest with team controlled players.

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    not gonna happen. That will be over 1 billion committed for the next 12-15 years.
    $1B/12-15 years = $66.7M - 83.3M per year

Definitely worth it, especially considering rising AAVs over the course of the respective contracts

Hypothetically, if we end up losing this series does Roberts get fired? Someone has to lose their job for this debacle if we lose. Kenley will be replaced next season as our closer. Roberts managing the best team in baseball and not bringing a title has to go IMO. I have wanted Roberts gone for years but if we lose this series he has to go. How many more years does he get only to keep failing when it matters the most? My only concern is if Friedman fires Roberts he will replace him with Kapler 2.0.

Last edited by dodgerdave; 10-25-2020 at 07:30 AM.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    Hypothetically, if we end up losing this series does Roberts get fired? Someone has to lose their job for this debacle if we lose. Kenley will be replaced next season as our closer. Roberts managing the best team in baseball and not bringing a title has to go IMO. I have wanted Roberts gone for years but if we lose this series he has to go. How many more years does he get only to keep failing when it matters the most? My only concern is if Friedman fires Roberts he will replace him with Kapler 2.0.
    Thatís exactly what will happen. So do you really want to replace manager that all the guys love for a 99 cent store version? Because will all know itís Friedman calling the shots, not Dave.

Thatís exactly what will happen. So do you really want to replace manager that all the guys love for a 99 cent store version? Because will all know itís Friedman calling the shots, not Dave.

This is sort of exactly how I look at it... get rid of him, keep him, whatever, it doesnít really matter. Dave isnít a master tactician, but heís also not an egregious one.

This teamĎs biggest strength is its level of talent and, ultimately, players need to do their jobs. Our incredibly talented roster has great chemistry and thatís not easy to do. They execute at a very high rate.

If DR is replaced, it canít be with someone that may rock the boat

So...

We won it all. Now what?

Iíve provided my musings, now Iíll add these notes...

The Padres were a World Series contender this year.

The Braves were a World Series contender this year.

These are two of the best teams in baseball and their key pieces are still young. They will get better by virtue of the experience of the great young players they already have like Acuna, Fried, Anderson, Tatis, and Cronenworth.

We are still the favorites heading into next year, but as the saying goes; if youíre not getting better, youíre getting worse.

So... what are your plans for the offseason?

I don't know it looks like a hard job this offseason.

Already at $190m according to spotract.

I think Turner is a goner, he's gonna get like 2y $50 m from the cubs or nats. I don't think we can afford any of our free agents besides Baez. I'd try and spend the money on some bullpen arms. Liam Hendricks and re-sign Baez and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    I would say itís likely. Itís also possible he accepts it.

I think if they do not at least offer a QO, then theyíre likely tipping their hand to something bigger.
    I don't think we can give him a qualifying offer. We gave him a qualifying offer the last time he became a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    As we are enjoying this current run, I canít help but wonder about positional turnover after this season.

Turner, Trienen, Joc, Kikť, Wood, Baťz and McGee are all free agents, and Kenley Jansen seems to be on track for a middle relief/setup role to finish out his own contract.

I can only assume (and also hope) Joc must be as good as gone. I imagine Wood will try to land somewhere where he can get a starterís workload. Iíd like to see the FO try to eat half of Jansenís salary and package him to a closer-needy small market team. Iíd also like to bring the rest of bullpen pieces back but this FO doesnít seem to care much for investing heavily in middle relief via trade or free agency.

I think my big questions all revolve around JT...

Does JT still want to start and make big money in this league? Does that plan change if we win the WS? Does he love LA and the Dodgers so much that heís come back on a cheap deal understanding that he has to compete?

Also, doe the FO have a post-JT plan? Iíd imagine that plan currently includes an infield of Seager, Lux, and Muncy, with a competition at 3rd between Hoese, Rios and CT3. If CT3 loses out, he returns to his super utility role.

Alternatively, would the FO consider Keibert Ruiz for a starting role and moving Will Smith back to 3rd? Smithís bat is legit and it would be a benefit to have him out of the squat position for 9 innings and in the lineup for 162 games.

Better yet, is it possible that this FO is still locked in on a Lindor trade? We certainly have the pieces to make a trade work and could feature an infield of...

Betts
    Seager
    Lindor
    Bellinger
    Smith
    Muncy
    Pollock
    Lux

I wouldnít put it past this FO to try to lock all of those guys in long term - they are exactly the kind of players this team wants to invest in. It would be a lot of money for Seager and Lindor next offseason but if Seager is willing to move to 3rd, as he very well should, then that is a juggernaut dynasty offense.
    I'm not sure if Jake McGee is a free agent, BB-Ref says he has a 9 million dollar club option for next year.

Considering how bad his year was and how young he is, and how good he is in Joc-Tober, I wouldn't be against bringing Joc back on a 1-year deal, platoon with Pollack in Left Field.

Kenley has been with the team 11 years now, I don't think we can trade him without his permission.

Does JT still want to start and make big money in this league? Does that plan change if we win the WS? Does he love LA and the Dodgers so much that heís come back on a cheap deal understanding that he has to compete?

Also, doe the FO have a post-JT plan? Iíd imagine that plan currently includes an infield of Seager, Lux, and Muncy, with a competition at 3rd between Hoese, Rios and CT3. If CT3 loses out, he returns to his super utility role.
    If JT comes back it'll probably have to be across the diamond, he's really lost a step, and Muncy can handle 3rd just fine.
    Long Term Seager should probably be a 3b with Lux at SS, but w/e they'll figure that out.

Do you mean Kody Hoese? The guy drafted in 2019 who hasn't played a game above low single A is going to compete with Rios and Chris Turner next year. (It would have to be next year since CT3 is only under contract for one more year)
    No, I don't think that's going to happen.
    Rios really is more of a backup corner infielder than a starter.

Alternatively, would the FO consider Keibert Ruiz for a starting role and moving Will Smith back to 3rd? Smithís bat is legit and it would be a benefit to have him out of the squat position for 9 innings and in the lineup for 162 games.
    This is far more plausible than the scenario where Hoese is in spring training competing for the starting 3b job.

How close is Hoese?

Not even remotely close, the highest level he's competed in so far is Low Single-A. There is no ****ing way he's making the team out of spring training.
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
    Would the Dodgers offer Justin Turner a QO? I think it's around 18m this year? Feels like you could keep him around for another year & have a good head in the locker room while still have a productive hitter. Just probably only good for 110 games or so. But, come post season you might get that dividend.
    A player can't have a QO placed on them more than once in their careers, so no we can't.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
    Love this type of stuff.

Kike' I think wants to be a full time player. I briefly remember him being interviewed before the season & the feeling I got is he wanted to win it all this year because he was looking forward to being a free agent. He's an awesome utility player but he is deserving of testing the market. I have to imagine there is a team out there willing to give him a 3-4 year deal.

JT...I almost think that if we win it this year the chances of him coming back go down. Hear me out. I think there is a chance whether we win or lose. But by winning the FO might look at it differently. As well as JT. If we lose against Tampa JT is still hungry to win a WS with his childhood team. But if he wins does he think more about preparing himself for a better retirement if a team offers him more? Will he be the guy we hope & not want $ as much so long as he's with the team that changed his life. Likewise with the FO, if we lose they know we were so very close again & losing a guy like JT is not moving in the right direction. If we win, the FO might be more firm with how much $ they can pay for an aging 3b with a history of injury. Granted I think the DH is around after 2021 so that is a positive to extend his career.

Trienen. I think he's gone. He's making a big statement right now & if he keeps doing what he's done the last few games we'll have a WS trophy & he'll probably add millions more to his next contract.

I think Joc is also gone but this was a really bad year for him. Last year was really surprising. Average wasn't high but the HR's were there. I really wonder if he gets that worthy of a deal. But I also think the FO (who for years thought of trading him) will let him go.

That's an interesting idea about Will Smith moving to 3rd. If Ruiz turns out to be a great catcher and decent hitter it makes a lot of sense. Two cost effective players in your starting 9 for a few years.
    Unfortunately, I think Kike goes to the Giants, he's precisely the type of player that Ziadi loves. And we have so many versatile players, that I doubt the team pays him what he wants to stay, especially if someone else is offering a starting role.

I think JT comes back just maybe not at 3rd, I could see them swapping him and Muncy defensively.

Trinen is long gone, this is his best and only shot to secure a big payday, and when you consider how bad Philly was this year...lol no he's ****ing gone.
    I'll have love for him when he leaves, but he's gone.

Joc might be back on a one year deal to rebound his value, and just platoon with Pollock in LF.
    Last edited by ciaban2.0; 10-29-2020 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    I don't know it looks like a hard job this offseason.

Already at $190m according to spotract.

I think Turner is a goner, he's gonna get like 2y $50 m from the cubs or nats. I don't think we can afford any of our free agents besides Baez. I'd try and spend the money on some bullpen arms. Liam Hendricks and re-sign Baez and call it a day.
    NOOOOOOO, the Nats are committed to their young 3b Carter Keiboom. And the Cubs are cutting salary, so much so that cubs fans believe that Bryant could be traded.

In fact, that could be the direction this team goes in for 3b next year.

One thing, considering that revenue was down this year, and teams are going to be cheap, I think we can flip David Price and the two years remaining on his contract to a team in need of pitching for prospects.

His contract is half covered by the redsox, so we could trade the last two years, and kick in another 8-16 million to get a better prospect return, and it's not as though the team needs him to win...we just won without him and were deep with pitching.

This might be a disappointing answer for some, but I don't see this team trading for Lindor, the Indians have made it clear they need Lux back, and this team doesn't seem interested in doing that.

And considering that Seager ('21) Bellinger (22') Urias ('23) Walker ('24) are hitting free agency in that order, they're probably not going to pay the type of money he would command or desire.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast