Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Looking Ahead

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    As an alternative to acquiring a bat on the level of Lindor, what would you all think of a short term deal for LaMahieu? Heís not a great defender at 2B, but I think heíd offer more than JT and may be a plus defender at 1B if weíre willing to move Muncy across the diamond.

Alternatively, we could bring back JT and move him to 1B for two years but we all know how heís struggled to stay healthy. I think DJ - 4 years younger - might be the smarter investment here.

Clearly our defense would be diminished, but...

STARTING LINEUP
    Betts - CF
    Seager - SS
    LaMahieu - 1B/DH
    Muncy - 3B/1B
    Smith - C
    Bellinger - CF
    AJ - LF
    Lux - 2B
    Taylor/Rios - 3B when DH is used

BENCH
    Taylor - Super Utility
    Rios - 3B/1B
    McKinstry - Middle Infield
    Barnes - Kershawís personal caddy
    Last Spot - Open competition (DJ Peters?)

A two year deal for LeMahieu could be a perfect short term solution to replacing JT. In year one they can evaluate what theyíve got in Lux, McKinstry and Rios, providing an opportunity to evaluate whether they want to be players in the FA market for Seager or Lindor while knowing theyíve got at least one more year with Lemahieu

Itíd be nice to have a guy that hits like a traditional batting champ.

What do you think?
    Hesitant considering the Yankees tindered him. What pick would it cost? Honestly we don't have $ for someone make $20m per.

Lindor will be traded. Can we get him by not offering Lux, May?

Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    Hesitant considering the Yankees tindered him. What pick would it cost? Honestly we don't have $ for someone make $20m per.
    Iím not too concerned about the QO because itís the Yankees.

To answer the question, it depends, but the gist in this particular transaction is as follows...

Since...
    - We did not exceed the LT
    - The Yankees arenít a revenue sharing recipient
    - We only have one first round pick

The Yankees would only get our second rounder this year.

As far as the money is concerned, remember, we didnít exceed the LT so the penalty has been reset for the last two years. If we go over the LT watermark of $210M, we only pay a 20% tax on the overage. For example, if our payroll is $220M, we would pay $2M (20% of $10M).

Essentially LaMaheiu would cost his contract, a second rounder, and may contribute to having to a penalty.

But, remember, a lot of money is freed up after 2021 which would allow us to reset the LT again.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.Ē

- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    Lindor will be traded. Can we get him by not offering Lux, May?
    Dude, seriously? Glad youíre finally on board. Lol.

I donít think itíll take Lux, definitely not May.

A package around Ruiz should get it done.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.Ē

- Carl Sagan

Am I the only one that doesn't want Lindor? He's going to cost a ton to keep once he hits free agency. I'd rather keep Seager & pay him. We are in a position to win more than 1 WS in the next 5 years with the majority home grown talent. If we sign Lindor, no way does Seager stick around and might even be hard to keep guys like Bellinger, Buehler, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
    Am I the only one that doesn't want Lindor? He's going to cost a ton to keep once he hits free agency. I'd rather keep Seager & pay him. We are in a position to win more than 1 WS in the next 5 years with the majority home grown talent. If we sign Lindor, no way does Seager stick around and might even be hard to keep guys like Bellinger, Buehler, etc..
    Yeah I would not wanna give up prospects for a 1 year rental.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Iím not too concerned about the QO because itís the Yankees.

To answer the question, it depends, but the gist in this particular transaction is as follows...

Since...
    - We did not exceed the LT
    - The Yankees arenít a revenue sharing recipient
    - We only have one first round pick

The Yankees would only get our second rounder this year.

As far as the money is concerned, remember, we didnít exceed the LT so the penalty has been reset for the last two years. If we go over the LT watermark of $210M, we only pay a 20% tax on the overage. For example, if our payroll is $220M, we would pay $2M (20% of $10M).

Essentially LaMaheiu would cost his contract, a second rounder, and may contribute to having to a penalty.,

But, remember, a lot of money is freed up after 2021 which would allow us to reset the LT again.
    With Covid and no fans, I expect management won't spend much. Payroll is already at $188m with arbitration estimates that's already alot, I don't see us spending that much.

Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    With Covid and no fans, I expect management won't spend much. Payroll is already at $188m with arbitration estimates that's already alot, I don't see us spending that much.
    I actually think there may be fans for a significant portion of the season, if not for the start, given Pfizerís announcement yesterday. It depends on how quickly they can get the vaccination into production and circulate it.

Another detail to add is that the MLBPA wants the DH in the NL for somewhat obvious reasons. It sounds like the owners are leveraging that in the hopes of also permanently implementing a deeper playoff format, although maybe not 16 teams like this year. In either case, it sounds like itís possible that they may get the DH with or without that agreement.

IMO, if this happens, we canít expect to remain competitive after losing JT, Kikť, and Joc. Weíll have to do something to replace someone although I wouldnít be opposed to bringing back JT to DH. Hell, I might consider all three of the price is right, though it sounds like McKinstry would be a cheap, and maybe significantly better, replacement for Kikť.

The way I look at this offseason...

Something has to happen with Keibert Ruiz.

Heís a starting major league catcher with first tier potential...

But Will Smith is better...

Having both guys for one starting catcher role it not realistic.

We also have a young fella in the wings who can be up in 3-4 years by the name of Diego Cartaya. All indications are that this kid has every bit of the potential of Ruiz and Smith.

So the question is

1) Do we explore with moving Will Smith back to 3rd and handing the keys to Ruiz?

- OR -

2) Knowing that we have Cartaya in waiting, do we use Ruiz as a chip to improve elsewhere?

What I donít think we can or should do is hold onto the kid. Heís too valuable to be doing nothing.

If a package around Ruiz would get it done, (deadhorse, I know) Iíd definitely use him to swing a trade for Lindor, then Iíd prioritize extending both Lindor and Seager long term.

No one wants to lose Cody, but if weíre being honest, of those three players, heís least deserving of a Betts-esque level contract. The Dodgers still have a lot of talent on the farm to fill CF and LF.

Weíd have RF, 3B, SS locked up, with 2B and C under TC for 5 and 6 years respectively.

Sounds like Galiz pivoted from the Yanks to the Dodgers which gives us another tremendous catching prospect.

With this news, Iíd still lean toward keeping Cartaya, but Iíd give him more consideration as the out piece in a mega-deal (Lindor).

I honestly think Cartaya has more upside than Ruiz. However, since Ruiz is both on the cusp of being an everyday ML starter and blocked at the big league level, I think he simultaneously has more trade value to potential partners and is more expendable for us. Smith can grind it out for a few years then, seeing that heíll be in his early 30ís when he hits FA, perhaps hand the reigns to whoever emerges in the Cartaya v Galiz battle.

- OR -

We keep shuttling Ruiz between the bigs and AAA until heís out of options as an insurance policy for Smith. Ruiz is still pretty young himself and makes great contact. Heís also got a ton of upside. We are stacked with young talented catchers.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/intern...s-galiz-694188
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 11-19-2020 at 01:43 PM.

A couple of things come to mind...

Firstly, thereís certainly fire here. Itís no secret this FO was champing at the bit for Arenado to hit FA and have tried to trade for him like every year since theyíve been here.

Secondly, it shows that another big money contract isnít a concern of ours as Bowden claims that the Dodgers want Arenado to eradicate his opt out clause.

Thirdly, it tells me that Lindor is definitely an option. If theyíre not concerned with paying Arenado $30M a year, they certainly must be willing to consider the younger and more talented switch hitter. If Seager is willing move to 3rd, Lindor is the better option.

It comes down to these points...

* Is Seager willing to slide over to third?
    * Can we get Lindor for a similar package as Arenado?

If the answer to either question no, you get Arenado. If the answer to both questions is yes, you go get Lindor.

https://twitter.com/mlbnetworkradio/...718026767?s=21

In fact, getting Arenado now may mean the Dodgers are hedging their bets on Seager returning. This might be a message to both Corey Seager and the Cleveland Indians.

To The Indians: if youíre serious about Lindor, you better lower your expectations or your going to lose leverage once weíre out of the race.

To Seager: if youíre not willing to move to 3rd (and possibly sign an extension) weíre going to fill that spot now and, next offseason, weíre only going to be contenders for one of you or Lindor.

I wouldn't trade for Lindor. We have already shown we can win the WS without him. If we really want him, sign him for free next year. I would trade for Arenado but only include one of our top prospect either Lux or Ruiz. If Rockies ask for the moon I would walk and sign Turner for 2 years at 15 mil per year. Seager can take over 3rd when Turner retires and Lux would become the everyday SS assuming we didn't sign Lindor, Story or someone else. I would also get rid of Ruiz for someone like Hader.

I am more interested to see if Dodgers gonna go after Bauer. I think Bauer will come here for a short contract with averages of 35+ mil per year.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345