Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2020 NHL draft thread

Everything Rangers and everything draft here, Please.

It’s official with the 1st overall pick, Alexis Lafrenière. 6’2” 200lbs. LW.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 10-06-2020 at 09:27 PM.

We traded the 22nd pick and the 72 Nd pick to Calgary for the 19th pick.

With the 19th pick Braden Schneider 6’2” 210lbs. RHD. Craig Button compares him to Jeff Beukeboom.

My prevailing thought in the Rangers trading back up to draft right side defenseman, Braden Schneider: The Rangers are loaded with right sided defensemen but weak on Center, left sided defensemen. Um, why?!?!

Get the feeling the Rangers are going to trade away some assets to bring in a big time center and left sided defenseman.

Let's look at the lines:

First line: Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
    Second line: Panarin-Strome-Kakko
    Third line: Lefreniere-Chytil-Kravtsov
    Fourth line: Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier

Definitely need an upgrade at the Center position. Lias Andersson unlikely to suit up for the Rangers, it's a huge gaping hole at Center.

Defensive lines also have a hole at LHD:

Miller-Trouba
    Lindgren-Fox
    Hajek-Deangelo
    Smith-Linqvist

Very competitive camp before January.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    My prevailing thought in the Rangers trading back up to draft right side defenseman, Braden Schneider: The Rangers are loaded with right sided defensemen but weak on Center, left sided defensemen. Um, why?!?!

Get the feeling the Rangers are going to trade away some assets to bring in a big time center and left sided defenseman.

Let's look at the lines:

First line: Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
    Second line: Panarin-Strome-Kakko
    Third line: Lefreniere-Chytil-Kravtsov
    Fourth line: Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier

Definitely need an upgrade at the Center position. Lias Andersson unlikely to suit up for the Rangers, it's a huge gaping hole at Center.

Defensive lines also have a hole at LHD:

Miller-Trouba
    Lindgren-Fox
    Hajek-Deangelo
    Smith-Linqvist

Very competitive camp before January.
    I do not know enough about Schneider, but was really hoping the Rangers would pull the trigger on Lapierre since he fell into the Rangers laps. Just see him as a guy that could fill a Top 6 center position if the injury systems do not persist. Top 10 talent. Rangers certainly had the prospect system to take a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSchemblogger View Post
    I do not know enough about Schneider, but was really hoping the Rangers would pull the trigger on Lapierre since he fell into the Rangers laps. Just see him as a guy that could fill a Top 6 center position if the injury systems do not persist. Top 10 talent. Rangers certainly had the prospect system to take a gamble.
    Very curious what was the thought process in the war room. Gorton and Davidson definitely knew the Rangers' needs and there must've been something to the health report and/or info that would make them pass because Lapierre was a top 10 pick if he had not gotten hurt.

Goodbye to Lias Andersson...the 7th pick of the 2017 pick went to the LA Kings for a second round pick, William Cuylle LW. Feel bad for both sides. Lias just didn't get along with Quinn and felt isolated in the minor leagues. As for Cuylle, he is quoted as modeling his game off, Tom Wilson. A bit of a sketchy player in the corners.

Rangers have problems drafting RW and LHD. :lol:

I agree with you guys. I don’t know the train of thought behind these picks. But if you guys didn’t see Brian Burke rant on Jeff Gorton and the Rangers. You have to see/listen to it. At first was pissed with what he said but after watching it a second time, he wasn’t wrong( and I’m not talking about the lottery system, just what he said about Gorton).

I would have went with Perrault who’s dad is the all-time face-off win percentage leader and has shown his son how to as well( I read that Jacobs win % in the minors is 75%). He has an NHL ready body, plays physical, is fast and can shoot the puck. My 2nd choice would have been Ridley Grieg, another kid who’s dad played in the NHL and is a coach. His comparable was Domi- smallish, in you face center. But what can we do.

During the draft Schneider Lawton said he compares to Jeff Buekeboom and Burke chimed in and said he’s nastier than Buekeboom so I guess he was was a great pick. Always loved Bueke, blue collar guy more heart than skill.

But regardless of getting Schneider we should have traded up again in the draft to get that center. Even if it meant trading next years 1st and the other 3rd rd pick or even added a 4th rd pick. There were plenty of center sitting there. Lapierre, Zary, Perrault, Grieg, Bourque, Brisson, Mysak.

Today is the 1st day of “free agent frenzy” we’ll see what they had under their sleeve.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 10-09-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Brian Burke has a mouth on him. Basically he traded half the Toronto Maple Leafs for Phil Kessel, gift wrapping a Stanley Cup to the Boston Bruins. He's famous for the 2007 Anaheim Ducks team where he raided vets from the Devils, Blues, and Jets team (that was folded).

Burke rarely drafted well. Yet, he called Chytil a mediocre 4th line player.

The Rangers are a universally mocked and hated team because New York has a history of signing aging Hall of Famers only to fall on their faces. On top of that, the Rangers wear Red, White, and Blue. Not exactly popular at this time.

As for Jacob Perreault, he's at least a year away from breaking into the Pros. He's going to be great but Gorton must be thinking of getting an experienced center to get the second line going.

Gorton is thinking about how Ken Holland's Red Wings had this amazing Soviet line that got their butt kicked by the Devils in the Stanley Cup Finals. He had to add rugged Canadians to bring toughness on the Yzerman line. This draft was mostly ALL Canadian by design. Tough, big and hitters.

As for the lottery system, look...the NHL did that to monitor tanking. I'm sorry, the Rangers earned the #2 spot for Kakko and the #1 spot for Lafrienere. The kids battled every game.

The Rangers aren't building 2 killer lines...they're building THREE killer lines and a 4th rock/sock line.

Kreider-Ziibanejad-Buchnevich

Panarin-Strome-Kakko

LaFrienere-Chytil-Gauthier

William Cuylle-Howden-Lemieux
    Last edited by Dr. Detfink; 10-09-2020 at 11:31 AM.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse with this but it would have been nice to see a French-Canadian line of
    Lafreniere—Perrault—Gauthier. The French Connection 2, the Buffalo Sabres had the original French Connection back in 1972 thru 1979.

Getting back the free agent frenzy. Rumors of today were Boston calling on Strome and Vegas & Ana calling on DeAngelo. Anaheim signed Shatty so they are out. And with Pietrangelo, Brodie & Krug signing Vegas just may circle back to DeAngelo.

Oh, BTW I didn’t bother posting any of our signings today because it’s obvious that with the exception of Jack Johnson and maybe Bitetto( 6th and 7th defensemen) none of the others will be on the team when then season starts.

BTW, Tyler Johnson was put on waivers today. 4 yrs remaining on his contract at a cap hit of 5 mil. Would you take a chance on him?

I felt most of the Ranger free agent signings were protection from Seattle expansion.

Jack Johnson being the exception. A lot of bent Ranger fans and journalists who thought there was a better deal to be had. Probably. Johnson has a connection to Davidson. He also signed a 1/$1.5M year deal to be an insurance policy in case K'Andre Miller can't get through a season in the Pros.

Tyler Johnson is an upgrade over Strome.

Let’s jump on to the off season thread.

You are probably right. Tho’ taking the day to watch free agent frenzy and sitting there watch scrub after scrub be signed was really disheartening. I’m not gonna lie, I was expecting some surprising big deal get done.

I’m not as upset about the Braden Schneider pick as a lot of other people seem to be. It would have been great if they could have gotten a high end center prospect, but they seem to be pretty good at finding and acquiring good young defensemen. They have holes on the big club at LD right now, but this isn’t a right now pick.

Over the past few years, they’ve acquired/drafted DeAngelo, Trouba, Fox, Lundkvist, Lindgren, Miller, Robertson, Jones, Reunanen, Rykov, Hajek, Keane, Skinner, and now Schneider. Not all of them will pan out, but this group is highly regarded across the league. Some of them need more time to cook. Some will be used as trade chips like Keane has, and some weren’t thought very highly at the time the Rangers acquired them, but grew into quality players/prospects since (DeAngelo, Lundkvist, Lindgren, Skinner). So because of that, I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk