Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help solve a bet: Is Gruden a Hall of Fame Head Coach?

I've got money riding on this. My brother frequents a different Raiders board, while I post on PSD mostly. We decided to poll our respective boards to get the Nation's view. I'm looking for a simple "yes" or "no", but welcome your thoughts on this topic:

If he was to retire today, do you believe that Gruden would be elected into the HOF as a Head Coach within 10 years after being eligible?

I know that he'll probably get some love as a sports announcer/contributor, but looking purely at his HC bonafides relative to other HCs that are presently in the Hall -- not to mention those still waiting to get the call -- does Gruden make it in?

I actually have two answers for this one, no and hell no. Won a SB with Tony Dungees team and absolutely sucks as a coach now... Hell F-ING NO!

No he wouldn’t

Nope...
    The Second protects the First, always has and always will...

Answer: No, He will need to produce at least 2 more SB's. Then his career would mirror Joe Gibbs of the Washington Football Team.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    I've got money riding on this. My brother frequents a different Raiders board, while I post on PSD mostly. We decided to poll our respective boards to get the Nation's view. I'm looking for a simple "yes" or "no", but welcome your thoughts on this topic:

If he was to retire today, do you believe that Gruden would be elected into the HOF as a Head Coach within 10 years after being eligible?

I know that he'll probably get some love as a sports announcer/contributor, but looking purely at his HC bonafides relative to other HCs that are presently in the Hall -- not to mention those still waiting to get the call -- does Gruden make it in?
    0% chance Gruden becomes a HOF coach, as things stand.

Another Super Bowl and a lot more wins, maybe. Right now, he’s had 2-3 really good years, a whole lot of mediocre, some bad and only 1 Super Bowl to show for it.

Nah.

-He hasn't won multiple SBs... Hell, he hasn't even been to the playoffs as a serious contender that many times. His teams have only been to the playoffs 5 of 13 years and have only been to 1 conference championship game.

-Including his 3 years as OC, his offenses have only finished in the top half of the league in yards in 8 of 16 seasons and in the top half of the league in scoring in 4 of 16 seasons (2 with the Eagles as OC, 2 in his first stint with the Raiders).

-Gruden did not revolutionize the game with his schemes.

-Gruden has a poor history in developing young talent.

Gruden has a chance to salvage his legacy with these Raiders, and lucky for him, it looks like he clicks with Carr like he's only ever clicked with Gannon. Gruden needs to take this team on a prolonged stretch of dominance (basically until Carr retires) and have a lot of playoff success, otherwise he'll go down in history as another Jeff Fisher.

No, He hasn't achieved enough.....yet.

I think Gruden would get in but not solely because of his coaching but also as a broadcaster for the NFL for a decade. I do not think that he would get in first ballot but if I would understand if the committee incorporated the breadth of his work.

So for his coaching achievements only, I do not think so.

Nope.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Hahahahaha. No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say this.

If Gruden can somehow get a Superbowl in in Oakland, he will have won 2 SB's with 2 franchises. No coach has done that, yet, so he would be the first.

At that point, he'll have that record plus 2 SBs, 4-5 division titles, a 115-120+ wins ... yeah, he's a ring away from earning his spot, IMO.

Thanks, all. I've won the bet and I'm going to have a very nice steak dinner on my brother's dime. I like Gruden more or less, but I don't see him getting in the HOF if he retired today -- not as a head coach. It looks like most of the Nation agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    I will say this.

If Gruden can somehow get a Superbowl in in Oakland, he will have won 2 SB's with 2 franchises. No coach has done that, yet, so he would be the first.

At that point, he'll have that record plus 2 SBs, 4-5 division titles, a 115-120+ wins ... yeah, he's a ring away from earning his spot, IMO.
    Unfortunately for Jon he will never win a Superbowl in Oakland... here’s to hoping he gets it in LV

Thanks, all. I've won the bet and I'm going to have a very nice steak dinner on my brother's dime. I like Gruden more or less, but I don't see him getting in the HOF if he retired today -- not as a head coach. It looks like most of the Nation agrees.
    Nice extra fun when you beat your bro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast