Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast
Results 886 to 900 of 901
  1. #886
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    19,299
    Quote Originally Posted by flimflamman View Post
    Chapman shouldn’t have hit the hitter earlier this season, seems like poetic justice. Hope he learns from that and moves forward.
    He never hit him. He buzzed him. It was no different than what Bob Gibson had ever done.

    Baseball needs to get back to thst.

    Acuna Jr getting hit in the butt by the Marlins pitcher and making a big stink about it just tells you how pathetic this generation of ball players we have now......They think they own the batters box.
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 10-10-2020 at 01:52 PM.

  2. #887
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    38,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    You do know you are wrong about that, don't you? It was in the 8th inning that he gave up that game-tieing HR to Davis; this was the day after Joe Madden had had Chapman pitch the last 3 innings of the previous game, even the 9th inning of a game where the Cubs had scored several runs in their half of the 9th and had increased their lead to 6 or 7 runs. And then the next night he was gassed. Even so, he came back out in that 7th game for the 9th and pitched a scoreless inning even though his fast ball was sitting in the low 90s, using mostly his slider and guts, an inning where 1 run would have given the series to the Indians, thereby allowing the Cubs to win it in the 10th. So I don't think you can chauk that game up to "choking," As to last night's homer that cost the game, that pitch was at 101 mph; to anyone that can pull that pitch, you just gotta tip ypur hat to them, not call Chapman a choker.
    Okay so I got the wrong inning but the same logic applies. Chapman has shown he has issues in high leverage situations in the playoffs. What was his excuse last year and this year btw? He wasn't gassed when he pitched to Altuve last season and Brosseau this year. Granted he was facing very good competition but he didn't execute.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-10-2020 at 06:02 PM.

  3. #888
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,693
    Quote Originally Posted by flimflamman View Post
    No as Steve correctly reminded me he did not hit the batter, thank God. I think he was being reckless. I could be wrong. I am influenced by the fact he gave up the losing run as proof of Karma, poetic justice, a cosmic lesson of fair play. Could be wrong, I like Chapman just hope he learns that lesson.
    Karma works in mysterious ways. Dumb players do dumb things. It's why I didn't want Clevinger, on this team.


    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    He never hit him. He buzzed him. It was no different than what Bob Gibson had ever done.

    Baseball needs to get back to thst.

    Acuna Jr getting hit in the butt by the Marlins pitcher and making a big stink about it just tells you how pathetic this generation of ball players we have now......They think they own the batters box.
    This is simply an insanely dumb statement, to support head hunting. There's never a reason to throw at someones head. If Judge or DJ had a 100mph pitch thrown to their head because the pitcher was mad or frustrated you'd be the first one *****ing and screaming on here, admit it. Don't defend idiots or idiocy.

    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Okay so I got the wrong inning but the same logic applies. Chapman has shown he has issues in high leverage situations in the playoffs. What was his excuse last year and this year btw? He wasn't gassed when he pitched to Altuve last season and Brosseau this year. Granted he was facing very good competition but he didn't execute.
    Well, the astros were cheating, but this has happened to Chapman before. This time a rookie took him deep. We need a new closer. Dump him now.

  4. #889
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    36,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Karma works in mysterious ways. Dumb players do dumb things. It's why I didn't want Clevinger, on this team.




    This is simply an insanely dumb statement, to support head hunting. There's never a reason to throw at someones head. If Judge or DJ had a 100mph pitch thrown to their head because the pitcher was mad or frustrated you'd be the first one *****ing and screaming on here, admit it. Don't defend idiots or idiocy.



    Well, the astros were cheating, but this has happened to Chapman before. This time a rookie took him deep. We need a new closer. Dump him now.
    To the bolded, what if you have a guy crowding the plate and leaning out? The pitcher has a right to the inside part of the plate. If pitchers can't throw up and in, which is chin music to a guy leaning in, he will get killed.
    That's what chin music should be. Just off the inside part of the plate and high.
    You should not throw at someone head. But a pitcher has the right to throw to that space.
    If the hitter doesn't like it? stop leaning



    Ignorance is bliss

  5. #890
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    To the bolded, what if you have a guy crowding the plate and leaning out? The pitcher has a right to the inside part of the plate. If pitchers can't throw up and in, which is chin music to a guy leaning in, he will get killed.
    That's what chin music should be. Just off the inside part of the plate and high.
    You should not throw at someone head. But a pitcher has the right to throw to that space.
    If the hitter doesn't like it? stop leaning
    Umps should not be legislating how pitchers approach their craft. I am not suggesting or advocating head hunting. But pitchers must be allowed to throw up and in. As clown mentions the pitchers has the right and needs to back the hitter off the plate.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  6. #891
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    36,179
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Umps should not be legislating how pitchers approach their craft. I am not suggesting or advocating head hunting. But pitchers must be allowed to throw up and in. As clown mentions the pitchers has the right and needs to back the hitter off the plate.
    Dust him off.
    No. Don't throw at someone's head. But a couple inches off the inside of the plate and shoulder height? Yes

    Because if you can't throw a bit off the plate to the inside, might as well make a rule that you can't do it to the outside either.
    Oh wait there is a rule. The pitch is a ball.

    Next, you won't be able to start a breaking pitch off inside because if you don't spin it, it might not break and you could hit the batter.

    Pitching inside is necessary. The pitcher absolutely needs the inside part of the plate. If a batter wants to stand over it (Frank Thomas) he should be moved.
    I also think with the cameras, HBP should be reviewable is there is a chance the batter was in the strike zone. ( That would most likely be their hands.)



    Ignorance is bliss

  7. #892
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,251
    ^^Precisely. Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson would agree. They built a career and reputation on it.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  8. #893
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    To the bolded, what if you have a guy crowding the plate and leaning out? The pitcher has a right to the inside part of the plate. If pitchers can't throw up and in, which is chin music to a guy leaning in, he will get killed.
    That's what chin music should be. Just off the inside part of the plate and high.
    You should not throw at someone head. But a pitcher has the right to throw to that space.
    If the hitter doesn't like it? stop leaning

    Clearly you did not watch the actual incident or game. The pitch was directly at his head. There was no "brushback" pitch, nor was Brosseau crowding the plate either.

    Btw, I love how you equate a pitcher potentially being "killed" when a hitter was almost hit in the head by a 101mph fastball. Brilliant logic there to end a completely pointless argument.

  9. #894
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    38,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Well, the astros were cheating, but this has happened to Chapman before. This time a rookie took him deep. We need a new closer. Dump him now.
    Altuve is a really good hitter. Whatever the case was, he still had to execute and hit the pitch out which he did. That said, Chapman has shown he has a propensity for postseason hiccups.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-13-2020 at 05:05 PM.

  10. #895
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,693
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    ^^Precisely. Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson would agree. They built a career and reputation on it.
    Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson built careers around head hunting? Well that's the first time I've heard of this.

    https://www.mlb.com/news/bob-gibson-...ing-c266183960

  11. #896
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    4,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson built careers around head hunting? Well that's the first time I've heard of this.

    https://www.mlb.com/news/bob-gibson-...ing-c266183960
    No they built careers out of throwing to the inside part of the plate . Remember Ryan’s famous fight ?

  12. #897
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    53,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Clearly you did not watch the actual incident or game. The pitch was directly at his head. There was no "brushback" pitch, nor was Brosseau crowding the plate either.

    Btw, I love how you equate a pitcher potentially being "killed" when a hitter was almost hit in the head by a 101mph fastball. Brilliant logic there to end a completely pointless argument.
    He does have a point though. Plus there can be a fine line between a brushback pitch and headhunting (especially when you take in to account the fact that many pitchers don't always have pinpoint control).

    ....and while his argument was not pointless, I also noticed the dissonance in the statement you highlighted in the last paragraph of the post I've quoted here.

  13. #898
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson built careers around head hunting? Well that's the first time I've heard of this.

    https://www.mlb.com/news/bob-gibson-...ing-c266183960
    Why so obtuse? I explicitly said commanding the inside part of the plate. Which is exactly where the three lived. I saw Gibson pitch. He was feared. Why?
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  14. #899
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cold Spring, NY
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Why so obtuse? I explicitly said commanding the inside part of the plate. Which is exactly where the three lived. I saw Gibson pitch. He was feared. Why?

    He was feared because the batters knew he was coming deep inside without even having a reason to do so. That's just the way he was. I'd say it worked out pretty good for him.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

  15. #900
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    36,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Clearly you did not watch the actual incident or game. The pitch was directly at his head. There was no "brushback" pitch, nor was Brosseau crowding the plate either.

    Btw, I love how you equate a pitcher potentially being "killed" when a hitter was almost hit in the head by a 101mph fastball. Brilliant logic there to end a completely pointless argument.

    No. I saw the incident
    I clearly stated in the post that you should not throw at someone's head

    I suggest learning to properly read and comprehend simple, small words before attempting to insult another person's logic.

    I will make sure to use simple math and one syllable words, if possible, when discussing your foolish comments



    Ignorance is bliss

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •