Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flimflamman View Post
    Chapman shouldn’t have hit the hitter earlier this season, seems like poetic justice. Hope he learns from that and moves forward.
    He never hit him. He buzzed him. It was no different than what Bob Gibson had ever done.

Baseball needs to get back to thst.

Acuna Jr getting hit in the butt by the Marlins pitcher and making a big stink about it just tells you how pathetic this generation of ball players we have now......They think they own the batters box.
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 10-10-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    You do know you are wrong about that, don't you? It was in the 8th inning that he gave up that game-tieing HR to Davis; this was the day after Joe Madden had had Chapman pitch the last 3 innings of the previous game, even the 9th inning of a game where the Cubs had scored several runs in their half of the 9th and had increased their lead to 6 or 7 runs. And then the next night he was gassed. Even so, he came back out in that 7th game for the 9th and pitched a scoreless inning even though his fast ball was sitting in the low 90s, using mostly his slider and guts, an inning where 1 run would have given the series to the Indians, thereby allowing the Cubs to win it in the 10th. So I don't think you can chauk that game up to "choking," As to last night's homer that cost the game, that pitch was at 101 mph; to anyone that can pull that pitch, you just gotta tip ypur hat to them, not call Chapman a choker.
    Okay so I got the wrong inning but the same logic applies. Chapman has shown he has issues in high leverage situations in the playoffs. What was his excuse last year and this year btw? He wasn't gassed when he pitched to Altuve last season and Brosseau this year. Granted he was facing very good competition but he didn't execute.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-10-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flimflamman View Post
    No as Steve correctly reminded me he did not hit the batter, thank God. I think he was being reckless. I could be wrong. I am influenced by the fact he gave up the losing run as proof of Karma, poetic justice, a cosmic lesson of fair play. Could be wrong, I like Chapman just hope he learns that lesson.
    Karma works in mysterious ways. Dumb players do dumb things. It's why I didn't want Clevinger, on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    He never hit him. He buzzed him. It was no different than what Bob Gibson had ever done.

Baseball needs to get back to thst.

Acuna Jr getting hit in the butt by the Marlins pitcher and making a big stink about it just tells you how pathetic this generation of ball players we have now......They think they own the batters box.
    This is simply an insanely dumb statement, to support head hunting. There's never a reason to throw at someones head. If Judge or DJ had a 100mph pitch thrown to their head because the pitcher was mad or frustrated you'd be the first one *****ing and screaming on here, admit it. Don't defend idiots or idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Okay so I got the wrong inning but the same logic applies. Chapman has shown he has issues in high leverage situations in the playoffs. What was his excuse last year and this year btw? He wasn't gassed when he pitched to Altuve last season and Brosseau this year. Granted he was facing very good competition but he didn't execute.
    Well, the astros were cheating, but this has happened to Chapman before. This time a rookie took him deep. We need a new closer. Dump him now.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Karma works in mysterious ways. Dumb players do dumb things. It's why I didn't want Clevinger, on this team.

This is simply an insanely dumb statement, to support head hunting. There's never a reason to throw at someones head. If Judge or DJ had a 100mph pitch thrown to their head because the pitcher was mad or frustrated you'd be the first one *****ing and screaming on here, admit it. Don't defend idiots or idiocy.

Well, the astros were cheating, but this has happened to Chapman before. This time a rookie took him deep. We need a new closer. Dump him now.
    To the bolded, what if you have a guy crowding the plate and leaning out? The pitcher has a right to the inside part of the plate. If pitchers can't throw up and in, which is chin music to a guy leaning in, he will get killed.
    That's what chin music should be. Just off the inside part of the plate and high.
    You should not throw at someone head. But a pitcher has the right to throw to that space.
    If the hitter doesn't like it? stop leaning

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    To the bolded, what if you have a guy crowding the plate and leaning out? The pitcher has a right to the inside part of the plate. If pitchers can't throw up and in, which is chin music to a guy leaning in, he will get killed.
    That's what chin music should be. Just off the inside part of the plate and high.
    You should not throw at someone head. But a pitcher has the right to throw to that space.
    Umps should not be legislating how pitchers approach their craft. I am not suggesting or advocating head hunting. But pitchers must be allowed to throw up and in. As clown mentions the pitchers has the right and needs to back the hitter off the plate.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Umps should not be legislating how pitchers approach their craft. I am not suggesting or advocating head hunting. But pitchers must be allowed to throw up and in. As clown mentions the pitchers has the right and needs to back the hitter off the plate.
    Dust him off.
    No. Don't throw at someone's head. But a couple inches off the inside of the plate and shoulder height? Yes

Because if you can't throw a bit off the plate to the inside, might as well make a rule that you can't do it to the outside either.
    Oh wait there is a rule. The pitch is a ball.

Next, you won't be able to start a breaking pitch off inside because if you don't spin it, it might not break and you could hit the batter.

Pitching inside is necessary. The pitcher absolutely needs the inside part of the plate. If a batter wants to stand over it (Frank Thomas) he should be moved.
    I also think with the cameras, HBP should be reviewable is there is a chance the batter was in the strike zone. ( That would most likely be their hands.)

Ignorance is bliss

^^Precisely. Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson would agree. They built a career and reputation on it.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post

Clearly you did not watch the actual incident or game. The pitch was directly at his head. There was no "brushback" pitch, nor was Brosseau crowding the plate either.

Btw, I love how you equate a pitcher potentially being "killed" when a hitter was almost hit in the head by a 101mph fastball. Brilliant logic there to end a completely pointless argument.

Altuve is a really good hitter. Whatever the case was, he still had to execute and hit the pitch out which he did. That said, Chapman has shown he has a propensity for postseason hiccups.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-13-2020 at 05:05 PM.

^^Precisely. Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson would agree. They built a career and reputation on it.
    Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson built careers around head hunting? Well that's the first time I've heard of this.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bob-gibson-...ing-c266183960

Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson built careers around head hunting? Well that's the first time I've heard of this.

No they built careers out of throwing to the inside part of the plate . Remember Ryan’s famous fight ?

Clearly you did not watch the actual incident or game. The pitch was directly at his head. There was no "brushback" pitch, nor was Brosseau crowding the plate either.

Btw, I love how you equate a pitcher potentially being "killed" when a hitter was almost hit in the head by a 101mph fastball. Brilliant logic there to end a completely pointless argument.
    He does have a point though. Plus there can be a fine line between a brushback pitch and headhunting (especially when you take in to account the fact that many pitchers don't always have pinpoint control).

....and while his argument was not pointless, I also noticed the dissonance in the statement you highlighted in the last paragraph of the post I've quoted here.

Why so obtuse? I explicitly said commanding the inside part of the plate. Which is exactly where the three lived. I saw Gibson pitch. He was feared. Why?

Why so obtuse? I explicitly said commanding the inside part of the plate. Which is exactly where the three lived. I saw Gibson pitch. He was feared. Why?

He was feared because the batters knew he was coming deep inside without even having a reason to do so. That's just the way he was. I'd say it worked out pretty good for him.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

No. I saw the incident
    I clearly stated in the post that you should not throw at someone's head

I suggest learning to properly read and comprehend simple, small words before attempting to insult another person's logic.

I will make sure to use simple math and one syllable words, if possible, when discussing your foolish comments

Ignorance is bliss

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast