Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 193 of 314 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243293 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 4701
    Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    Yep this fín sucks dude. KB will literally probably be a salary dump to somebody for some 19 year old who throws 100 mph thatís destined for the bullpen 3 years from now. We couldíve fielded a really good team this year based on what these star players are getting trade for, and here we are trying to trade our best players for underwhelming returns.
    There is a reason the Cubs are trying to trade all of their best players. Heyward and Contreras. Those are the only starting position players on the roster with a contract that extends beyond 2021.

Theo failed to extend any of the core and left the team with a pretty big decision to make. Either go for one last hurrah with a lineup that has largely struggled to muster even 1 run in a playoff game recently or get what you can and go for another multi year run in a few seasons.

Obviously by trading Darvish they are going the future route and I can't say I blame them. With how bad this offense has struggled, adding a single bat to the lineup is like putting lip stick on a pig and in 10 months the pig is going to the butcher.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    What if they end up extending both Javy and KB, wouldn't that be better then getting a few prospects

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    If they wanted them for longer than the 6 or 7 years, they would have extended them. I don't think that they want either player after this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    Yep this fín sucks dude. KB will literally probably be a salary dump to somebody for some 19 year old who throws 100 mph thatís destined for the bullpen 3 years from now. We couldíve fielded a really good team this year based on what these star players are getting trade for, and here we are trying to trade our best players for underwhelming returns.
    Definitely:
    Dodgers
    Padres
    Braves
    Mets

Maybe :
    Nationals
    Marlins

I think the harsh reality is that by the end of the offseason we will be worse then all those teams 1-26 even if we kept all our guys. They are leaving one way or another so get something I guess is the theory.

And yes I realize no teams listed are in our division but do we want to do the same song a and dance by winning a mediocre division and getting swept out of the playoffs.?

I agree we could have done things if ownership wasnít strangling the budget but oh well, this is where we are I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    In what world is Carassco a salary dump? Back to back 5fwar seasons in 2017 and 2018 before injury and cancer in 2019. He then returns in 2020 posting a 3.59FIP, 2.91ERA and 10.85K/9 which put him on pace for more than a 4fwar full season.
    In this world it's a salary dump. Carlos is outstanding, but Cleveland is dumping salary. I don't think that there's any chance of this deal being made had the Mets not taken Corasco's 27 or 38 million dollars. Ramirez is probably next

Would never have thought i'd be sitting here super jealous of the Mets ownership. Billionaire has money. Using it to improve his teams performance. Crazy thinking but it might just work.

Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    Definitely:
    Dodgers
    Padres
    Braves
    Mets

Maybe :
    Nationals
    Marlins

I think the harsh reality is that by the end of the offseason we will be worse then all those teams 1-26 even if we kept all our guys. They are leaving one way or another so get something I guess is the theory.

And yes I realize no teams listed are in our division but do we want to do the same song a and dance by winning a mediocre division and getting swept out of the playoffs.?

I agree we could have done things if ownership wasnít strangling the budget but oh well, this is where we are I guess.
    Winning > losing. No matter what. Give me a legit chance at winning the division, even if we are a team that isnít expected to win the WS. We still have good young players coming that are a year or two away. We could have traded for Lindor and Carrasco. Signed LeMahiou and Brantley. Trade for or sign pitchers for our rotation. Starting last year we could have focused on getting our bullpen in order with actual good relievers. In this scenario, we could probably move Javy for the best package available. You could keep Schwarber if you know the DH is coming back, or still NT him if you donít think it is. Whatever. Itís a hypothetical because itís obviously zero chance that it would happen now.

A lineup like:
    Lindor
    DJ LeMahiou
    Rizzo
    Bryant
    Brantley
    Contreras
    Heyward
    Happ

Yeah... you can win a WS with that lineup. And thatís not unrealistic at all. A rotation of Darvish, Hendricks, Carrasco, ++ whatever would definitely play. You still potentially shed a little money by trading Javy and a NT of Schwarber, plus Lester and Quintana and Chatwood off the books. You would still be pretty close to the LT, but who gives a **** if you do go over a bit... well outside of Ricketts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Would never have thought i'd be sitting here super jealous of the Mets ownership. Billionaire has money. Using it to improve his teams performance. Crazy thinking but it might just work.
    Their payroll around 180 mil.

They no doubt improved and taking nothing away from it, but they're still way under the Threshold and not expected to go over, and if it weren't for Cano (24 mil) getting suspended, they might not of even made this trade

Their payroll around 180 mil.

They no doubt improved and taking nothing away from it, but they're still way under the Threshold and not expected to go over, and if it weren't for Cano (24 mil) getting suspended, they might not of even made this trade

That is not true. Alderson just said today that going over the tax limit was not off the table. They will almost assuredly sign Lindor to a long term extension. They would have made this trade eyes closed with or without Cano, and they are likely to continue to spend. Another $30-$40m is 100% on the table for the Mets.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

The minute he was approved, I knew about 28, or so, fan bases would be pretty jealous.
    Iím still kind of shocked the other owners did approve him.

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

Itíll be interesting to see if he becomes an outlier among owners in a few years or if he makes a big splash in his first few years and then settles in and acts like most owners. Iíd guess that after a few years he wonít be an outlier.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Itíll be interesting to see if he becomes an outlier among owners in a few years or if he makes a big splash in his first few years and then settles in and acts like most owners. Iíd guess that after a few years he wonít be an outlier.
    Agreed. It will be especially interesting if the Mets don't have success, and he immediately starts bleeding payroll soon thereafter. He could be a bit of a litmus test to see if the owners are as full of crap about losses as they say, but then again, the vaccine would hopefully be common place by then, so it's not like he'd be in a complete vacuum, revenue streams would have had a chance to recover.
    Ü

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

What, not a fan of our money grubbing owner stuffing all the profits down his pants?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    The minute he was approved, I knew about 28, or so, fan bases would be pretty jealous.
    Iím still kind of shocked the other owners did approve him.
    I'm sure same was said about Rickett when he bought the cubs

Rickett was loved in Chicago up until 2018 lol

I'm sure same was said about Rickett when he bought the cubs

Rickett was loved in Chicago up until 2018 lol

An owner has one job. To provide money. It's all he's good for. Any billionaire can fill the role. 2018 is around the time Ricketts stopped using his money to fix flaws in the team. Which makes him pretty ****ing useless.

An owner has one job. To provide money. It's all he's good for. Any billionaire can fill the role. 2018 is around the time Ricketts stopped using his money to fix flaws in the team. Which makes him pretty ****ing useless.
    Yu Darvish.
    Tyler Chatwood.
    Cole Hamels.
    Craig Kimbrel.

Time to stop blaming Ricketts for Theo's failures.

Cubs have had one of most expensive rosters in baseball for years and they havent won a playoff game since they lost 4 games to 1 against the Dodgers in the NLCS in 2017. The Cubs have less runs scored in the playoffs (2) than games played (3) since 2017.
    Last edited by cuzi; 01-07-2021 at 11:41 PM.