Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 176 of 302 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 4523
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    If this is the case, then why did Yu needed to be traded right now? I think Hoyer would have waited, till he got an offer he really wanted.
    Ricketts wanted to save money. It's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    If this is the case, then why did Yu needed to be traded right now? I think Hoyer would have waited, till he got an offer he really wanted.
    He knows they canít build a good team on the budget that he has and he knows that Darvish will bring back the most return (other than Hendricks, but heís probably staying), so he prioritized a Darvish trade. Iím guessing Contreras is next. Then theyíll see if someone wants to take on Bryantís money and if not theyíll wait until July with KB because they probably dumped enough cash by that point.

Lmao, Jed. Do you honestly think that Willy is going to stay?

No. Youíre just posturing so that you can get a better deal when heís eventually shipped out of town.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

https://twitter.com/PJ_Mooney/status...370232835?s=19

Sounds awfully a lot like a rebuild to me.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    https://twitter.com/PJ_Mooney/status...370232835?s=19

Sounds awfully a lot like a rebuild to me.

They should really just say it at this point.

Them lying to us for the past few months about the direction of the franchise achieves nothing.

It's honestly just really stupid of them to tear this all down when the trade market is incredibly depressed due to COVID. I get there are time considerations with guys like Bryant and Baez, but trading guys like Darvish right now when you're minimizing your return is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    They should really just say it at this point.

Them lying to us for the past few months about the direction of the franchise achieves nothing.

It's honestly just really stupid of them to tear this all down when the trade market is incredibly depressed due to COVID. I get there are time considerations with guys like Bryant and Baez, but trading guys like Darvish right now when you're minimizing your return is just stupid.
    While I'd like to hear it just to get everyone on the same page; the Cubs can't say that out loud and devalue their position (even if everyone knows).

So sadly they're stuck here. Pretending they aren't. When they oh, so clearly are.

Are the Cubs really so poor they can't afford a GM? This can't be a thing, can it? There has to be some other reason. Right?

Honestly why even have a GM. Screw it. Lean up the front office too.

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    Honestly why even have a GM. Screw it. Lean up the front office too.
    I mean, I don't see what that would accomplish. The Cubs have good VPs and assistant GMs in place. The GM position offers a slot for outside of the organization and even more new ideas to jump in. Thats not a bad thing.

While I'd like to hear it just to get everyone on the same page; the Cubs can't say that out loud and devalue their position (even if everyone knows).

So sadly they're stuck here. Pretending they aren't. When they oh, so clearly are.

These GMs know just as much as we do what situation the Cubs are in. We're fans and can put the pieces together. Just because Jed isn't saying the words to the public, doesn't mean other teams are oblivious to their intentions.

These GMs know just as much as we do what situation the Cubs are in. We're fans and can put the pieces together. Just because Jed isn't saying the words to the public, doesn't mean other teams are oblivious to their intentions.
    Yeah. But there still remains "plausible deniability" with not saying it. No team comes out and says "hey, full rebuild boys!" Especially in a hard buyers market like this. The Cubs gain nothing by saying that. It really only placates people on Twitter and PSD.

So while it'd be nice for you and I for Hoyer to just say it, I don't think the Cubs particularly get anything positive by stating it. Even if it's obvious.

But I do agree this is stupid. They could easily be one of the few buyers and go and get another teams Darvish for pennies on the dollar.

I think itís more about the players.

They might be at a point where they want to trade other guys but they may or may not get an offer to justify doing it. You probably donít want to talk about how you want to trade guys who might be in spring training with your organization in a couple months.

I think basically everyone knows what they want to do.

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

I do believe Jed that his intention is not to have the Cubs next competitive window wait until these prospects from SD are part of it. He just couldnít get the close to MLB prospects that he wanted so he choose this higher upside group over a group of lower upside guys closer to MLB. So thatís mildly encouraging that he isnít intentionally trying to create a 3 year rebuild here.

I think ideally heíll try to target closer to MLB prospects in a Contreras trade. His comment about not being in on major FAs until they have a core in MLB also makes me think itíll be at least 2 years. Iím guessing the plan is to acquire prospects this year, to promote some key prospects in 2021 and then to start signing FAs/making trades to acquire MLB talent going into 2022. Weíll see if it works out that way but I think in his mind this is a 2 year process before they are buyers.
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-30-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Jed also said that, with a leaner scouting dept., they had to narrow their focus to certain organizations in trade discussions. Like it sounds like some organizations weren't even considered because they didn't have the manpower available. Because they fired a bunch of scouts, remember.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Jed also said that, with a leaner scouting dept., they had to narrow their focus to certain organizations in trade discussions. Like it sounds like some organizations weren't even considered because they didn't have the manpower available. Because they fired a bunch of scouts, remember.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Did he really? Thatís horrible.

So short sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Did he really? Thatís horrible.

So short sighted.
    Yah, that's ridiculous if true. Just another example of the Ricketts cheapness costing the organization. It'd be hillarious if it wasn't so sad. Billionaires that really want people to think they can't spend any money.