Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 169 of 302 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 4523
    Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    Ok so what team would trade for Contreras and what would the return be ?
    Two days ago I'd have said that a trade revolving around Contreras to the Angels for Brandon Marsh+ would make general sense for both teams. Contreras has connections to the Angels in Maddon, and they have a need for a catcher, and with Trout and Joe Addel already in the mix, Marsh is tradable. The Cubs would get back a player near MLB ready (if not MLB ready) at a position of need; CF.

But that was 2 days ago and I wonder if the Cubs would no longer be that interested in Marsh considering his MLB readiness level. The Cubs just sent Darvish away for a package of super young, very upside players, who are also far away. Marsh has a good deal of upside but is closer to the MLB. So perhaps they're less interested in that type of player now.

Other teams who could be interested would have been the Padres or the Rays, but both of those ships have probably sailed at this juncture. The Braves might make some sense if they lose Ozuna; they could use maybe another bat and perhaps they could see him as a DH/LF? Maybe the Phillies if they dont want to sign Realmuto? It's hard to tell what his market truly is right now, so I'm just spitballing. Most teams could use a hitting catcher.

I think one, or both, are traded anyway, but if you're Bryant or Baez, why would you even want to sign an extension here at this point?

Team isn't going to be good for ages and ownership doesn't look interested in building a winning team.

I'd hit the open market and take my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    I think one, or both, are traded anyway, but if you're Bryant or Baez, why would you even want to sign an extension here at this point?

Team isn't going to be good for ages and ownership doesn't look interested in building a winning team.

I'd hit the open market and take my chances.
    Hopefully Baez doesn't want to sign an extension, because I am pretty uninterested in a Baez extension myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Despite the world ending for some, I was perfectly ok with the Darvish trade. 5 yrs removed from his tommy john surgery, coming off a season in which the Cubs pushed him hard and him having a career year to top if off. This off-season was to move on from him.

But if Hoyer f**ks up the Contreras trade, I want on the ****** hoyer/ricketts bandwagon and I would want a prominent seat. Hoyer better be asking for a top 5 prospect+ for Contreras whoever he is talking to.
    Four 45FV prospects for a 34 year old Yu Darvish with $59 million left on his contract, where we arenít eating much of it, is not a horrible return. He had a very good second half of 2019 and very good half a Baseball season in 2020 but the Padres are paying for his future performance. I commend Darvish when the talk around him has gone from some of our own supporters questioning whether he should retire after 2018 to talking about four decent prospects for him not being good enough.

Does this make a Kris Bryant extension more or less likely to happen? Good amount of saved cashed to pay Bryant now.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 12-29-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Yah, I've got a harder time seeing any extensions now. Maybe Rizzo just to placate the fan base. What sort of extension are you giving Baez if your plan is 3-4 years of tanking? Also, does it make any sense to keep Hendricks in this new timeline?
    Last edited by Sofnr; 12-29-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Newbie here. Be kind. . Dig the rebuild, it is needed at this point of mediocrity for the past few yrs. I think the biggest blow was letting our best prospects go to win the W.S (worth it), and one real bad trade in Eloy. How much different would that have looked today if we did not pull the trigger?

Moved to ATL from my beloved and gotta tell you they do not move their top prospects at all. The Braves are HUGE into developing their drafts and farm... and they are loaded, and put a lot of stock in pitching. I hope the Cubs follow suit this time around but only time will tell if they rebuild the farm with the right choices and without trading talent away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Yah, I've got a harder time seeing any extensions now. Maybe Rizzo just to placate the fan base. What sort of extension are you giving Baez if your plan is 3-4 years of tanking? Also, does it make any sense to keep Hendricks in this new timeline?
    Yeah, probably not. My suggestion about extending Bryant is probably not even a Cubs consideration either. You donít trade your best pitcher only to extend players to big contracts. We are in a rebuild, so I can see trades happening for Bryant, Baez and Willson.

So with Caratini gone, who becomes the backup to Willson?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    Wilson's probably gone too.

🙋

Iím sure Willy is on his way out too.

So Iím sure we will sign some scraps in the market for cheap and just roll with it that way. I donít think thereís any shot Amaya is on the big league team this upcoming year

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Does this make a Kris Bryant extension more or less likely to happen? Good amount of saved cashed to pay Bryant now.
    The possibility of that less than zero.

Cubs fans having a beer with Tom Ricketts:

Cubs are 2 weeks away from possibly adding another 19 YO SS in Cristian Hernandez to their system

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Cubs are 2 weeks away from possibly adding another 19 YO SS in Cristian Hernandez to their system

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Not really possibly. That deal's as good as done. $3.5m, reported almost a year ago. It just hasn't been finalized because they pushed the day back.