Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 67 of 242 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 3617
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I understand what you are both saying. Apparently I'm alone here, but if I was the new GM, I would want to help decide who gets arb and who get NT. These are very big decisions that need to be made by next week.

I'm quite sure that Jed is 100% capable of making that decision without a GM's input, but I would want to have some input if my job is going to be to run the players that are there. I'd like to help decide who's there, and who's not there.

Not for one second would it surprise me if they hired a GM before the NT day.

To add....I certainly understand that new GM's get the players they get. It is what it is. Maybe they won't hire anybody until Jed makes all or most of the roster decisions. I'm more thinking from the new GM's position of thought.
    I'm sure the new GM would like to have Gleyber Torres, too. But in the end, you sign on because you like the franchise, and the fit. The new GM is going to be judged on everything that happens after, not before, his hiring. I doubt a ton of the NT decisions are going to really impact the Cubs heading forward. We only have, realistically, a few days to trade someone like Byrant pre-NT and it feels more and more unlikely he's dealt by the 2nd. If they're going to NT, they were going to do that anyways.

They have zero ability to hire a GM before the Non-tender day. It should literally shock everyone if they're able to conduct an entire process in the span of 48 hours, which is basically what they have. We should all be highly worried if they rush into a major hire like that, as it sounds by everyone, they have not in any way started that process.

The NT deadline feels a little more major this year, but it's only if they dump a contract like Bryant then. Outside of that, I think you're putting a little too much importance on the date. As I said, the decision to tender or non tender Bryant is likely already made. And the time they have to trade him is minimal as is if they have decided to NT him. As long as they tender Bryant a contract, then really, Hoyer hasn't made "most of the moves" by himself as "most" of the moves will yet to come". And if they're dealing for minor league talent, then that's something Dan Kantrovitz is probably going to be more involved in than Jared Porter anyways, as Kantrovitz is the player dev guy.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 11-24-2020 at 12:59 PM.

I understand what you are both saying. Apparently I'm alone here, but if I was the new GM, I would want to help decide who gets arb and who get NT. These are very big decisions that need to be made by next week.

I'm quite sure that Jed is 100% capable of making that decision without a GM's input, but I would want to have some input if my job is going to be to run the players that are there. I'd like to help decide who's there, and who's not there.

Not for one second would it surprise me if they hired a GM before the NT day.

To add....I certainly understand that new GM's get the players they get. It is what it is. Maybe they won't hire anybody until Jed makes all or most of the roster decisions. I'm more thinking from the new GM's position of thought.
    As far as NT goes, I'm sure Jed already has an idea of where he going there..
    Maybe he looks for a last minute deal with the ones he not tendering but I have to think he about 99% sure of what he going to do now.

I think the winter meeting still starts dec 7 via virtual now, so I'd guess Jed would have his GM in place before then..
    Which I'm sure he probably been working on since Theo decided he was stepping down

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I'm sure the new GM would like to have Gleyber Torres, too. But in the end, you sign on because you like the franchise, and the fit. The new GM is going to be judged on everything that happens after, not before, his hiring. I doubt a ton of the NT decisions are going to really impact the Cubs heading forward. We only have, realistically, a few days to trade someone like Byrant pre-NT and it feels more and more unlikely he's dealt by the 2nd. If they're going to NT, they were going to do that anyways.

They have zero ability to hire a GM before the Non-tender day. It should literally shock everyone if they're able to conduct an entire process in the span of 48 hours, which is basically what they have. We should all be highly worried if they rush into a major hire like that, as it sounds by everyone, they have not in any way started that process.

The NT deadline feels a little more major this year, but it's only if they dump a contract like Bryant then. Outside of that, I think you're putting a little too much importance on the date. As I said, the decision to tender or non tender Bryant is likely already made. And the time they have to trade him is minimal as is if they have decided to NT him. As long as they tender Bryant a contract, then really, Hoyer hasn't made "most of the moves" by himself as "most" of the moves will yet to come". And if they're dealing for minor league talent, then that's something Dan Kantrovitz is probably going to be more involved in than Jared Porter anyways, as Kantrovitz is the player dev guy.
    I'll say the same thing that I said to CP. That's a fair assessment.

Make this bad dream end.

Giants are said to be interested in Lester

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...107812355?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Giants are said to be interested in Lester

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...107812355?s=19

Although this link is about Bryant, what do you think that Lester can fetch?

1/3?

I see that rumors are spewing up about the Cubs and Arrieta possibly reuniting.

I donít see it happening

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post

I donít see it happening
    I could. Hes right up their ally. Should sign a 1 year reclamation deal and flip him later. Cubs need innings. Hed sell viewers simply due to nostalgia.

It signals they don't really have much money. Hes just a JAG really at this stage. But a nostalgia JAG makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

Yeah i wouldnít be surprise by Arrieta . Cubs need at least 1 SP probably 2 and are broke . Arrieta shouldnít cost much .

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dfan25; 11-24-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Although this link is about Bryant, what do you think that Lester can fetch?

1/3?
    Id be surprised if Lester plays again unless it for a legit contender to try for 1 more championship

I donít see it happening
    Where are you seeing that?

Id be surprised if Lester plays again unless it for a legit contender to try for 1 more championship

I bet he tries to play another year or two. He must be thinking about crossing 50 fWAR and 200+ wins to help him make a HOF case.

I donít see it happening
    Arrieta is as done as Lester is..
    I'd rather give an open spot to a rookie or someone younger needing an opportunity .

Signing Arrieta IMO, wouldn't be trying to win in 2021 as Jeb said, it would be going to hope to be able to flip him route

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I bet he tries to play another year or two. He must be thinking about crossing 50 fWAR and 200+ wins to help him make a HOF case.
    I could see going for 200 wins being 7 away..

I doubt he'd go to the Giants though, like I said if he does return it would be to a team that has a good chance to win ..

As blah as he finished off with us, he's always been a pitcher who grinded. His flame and passion was a pleasure to watch. He's old school!

You may be right about his career, but I'd be thrilled to have him on a 1/3 deal.