Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 232 of 314 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 4701
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...799019014?s=20

Could be worth up to $2.5m. Ricketts must have found some money in his coat pocket or something to be dishing out bonus money. I find it interesting he's got an escalator in there for games started, especially with the Contreras rumors rolling around.
    Bizarre to use what little money they do have on such a bum.

Hell there must be someone in Iowa or any minor league free agent who can do what Romaine will do for cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    I meant it more in the context of the money faucet was being shut off after 2019. If Theo and Co. knew that the money would stop flowing then it makes no sense to lock up the remaining money you do have in Kimbrel.

Now, if they were surprised by the payroll being cut by Ricketts like many have speculated they were, then I guess you cant really fault them.
    I think they knew the faucet was shut off right after it. And I think that's why they signed him. One last shot, one last try type thing. "Maybe we can add a shutdown reliever for just money and win ONE more time".

Bizarre to use what little money they do have on such a bum.

Hell there must be someone in Iowa or any minor league free agent who can do what Romaine will do for cheaper.
    Even more troubling is his decline on xOBA on fastballs. It's been in decline since 2018. I'm really surprised this is the signing. Unless...well...he's the starter and they add some JAG behind him who's even more...JAGgy.

Even more troubling is his decline on xOBA on fastballs. It's been in decline since 2018. I'm really surprised this is the signing. Unless...well...he's the starter and they add some JAG behind him who's even more...JAGgy.
    Iím guessing Romine is the Opening Day catcher after they trade Willson.

Austin Romine is the 3rd highest contract to a position player the Cubs have given out since Jon Jay in 2017.

Let that sink in.

Austin Romine is the 3rd highest contract to a position player the Cubs have given out since Jon Jay in 2017.

Let that sink in.
    I think this sounds a lot worse than it is when you remember that they basically had starters in every position already signed to big deals before 2017 or they were in house developed talent.

I guess you could argue they should have spent on a 2B or CF during that time but if the core guys weren't going to hit it wasn't going to make a huge difference.

I think this sounds a lot worse than it is when you remember that they basically had starters in every position already signed to big deals before 2017 or they were in house developed talent.

I guess you could argue they should have spent on a 2B or CF during that time but if the core guys weren't going to hit it wasn't going to make a huge difference.
    My issue is that in 4 years, the Cubs refused to invest in their bench. It's what really crushed the 2019 team. Players like Robel Garcia, Descalso, and the likes were garnering 1000+ PA's. While in theory it doesn't sounds terrible, the idea that the Cubs barely put forth any time into fortifying a rough bench was one of the most crippling aspects of the team the last few years.

The last time the Cubs spent over 8 figures on any position player (That's $10,000,000+) was with Dexter Fowler in 2016. The only other teams not to do that: The Mariners, Pirates and Giants. Of course, this doesn't take into account arbitration. But it has been a while since the Cubs have realistically put forth any significant addition to the offense.

Even the Padres understand the importance of a good bench, adding Profar and Kim, one of whom will not be starting most days.

There were years where it probably didn't make sense, and that's fine. But half a decade because a nearly impossibly long time to not sink $10m into any single FA position player signing. And it looks like it'll stretch another full year.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-22-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Are we really sitting here talking about the Cubs not spending money on bench players? Their bench has been filled with guys like Almora, Caratini, La Stella, Bote, and Happ. They got Jon Jay for 2017. They got Daniel Murphy for 2018. They got Castellanos for 2019. What in the hell are we even talking about here?

The Cubs bench was not an issue. They didnt spend on STARTERS to replace Fowler in CF and leadoff and they've been throwing **** at the wall at 2B at praying something sticks.

Blame Theo for that, not the owner who was spending more than 27 other teams for the most part. This "cheap" ******** needs to stop. He's being cheap this year because they probably understand that based on internal discussions they are going to be looking at replacing half of their lineup. Who would invest in "one last hoorah" when the current core has constantly choked the 2nd half of the season 3 years in a row?

I meant it more in the context of the money faucet was being shut off after 2019. If Theo and Co. knew that the money would stop flowing then it makes no sense to lock up the remaining money you do have in Kimbrel.

Now, if they were surprised by the payroll being cut by Ricketts like many have speculated they were, then I guess you cant really fault them.
    My guess is they didn't get as much from the TV deal as they were anticipating. It took longer to complete the deal and they didn't get as much money as they expected from creating their own network. They were a couple years too late on getting the mega billions other teams were getting.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Are we really sitting here talking about the Cubs not spending money on bench players? Their bench has been filled with guys like Almora, Caratini, La Stella, Bote, and Happ. They got Jon Jay for 2017. They got Daniel Murphy for 2018. They got Castellanos for 2019. What in the hell are we even talking about here?

The Cubs bench was not an issue. They didnt spend on STARTERS to replace Fowler in CF and leadoff and they've been throwing **** at the wall at 2B at praying something sticks.

Blame Theo for that, not the owner who was spending more than 27 other teams for the most part. This "cheap" ******** needs to stop. He's being cheap this year because they probably understand that based on internal discussions they are going to be looking at replacing half of their lineup. Who would invest in "one last hoorah" when the current core has constantly choked the 2nd half of the season 3 years in a row?
    My only issue with the everyday lineup is that they never got a CFer but instead chose to have hope on Almora which then turned into Happ..
    2B wasn't an issue til 2019 when Russell BS started, but they had Zobrist and Bote to cover it, but then got a setback with Zobrist's issues.

All the other positions were covered by core players, so unless one was going to be traded there was no upgrade moves to be made there.

You can argue they could of done better with the bench, i know before Covid i really disliked what they had on the bench for 2020 but before this season it wasn't terrible, yes it could of been better but it wasn't terrible.

They spent on SP with Hamels, Chatwood, and Darvish

The bullpen is where they could of spent a little extra money on the last 2 offseasons to strengthen it pass the main 4-5 relievers.

Overall until last offseason and this one, you can't really complain about Rickett not spending but maybe should be upset more so that a couple of whom Theo spent it on didn't work out that well.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post

Overall until last offseason and this one, you can't really complain about Rickett not spending but maybe should be upset more so that a couple of whom Theo spent it on didn't work out that well.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    What about 2012-2015? What about dropping their CBT payroll by $22 million from 2016 to 2017 after winning the World Series?

When the Cubs tanked they said the money would be there when they were in their winning phase. When they were in their winning phase they went multiple years without adding any significant salaries to the payroll. Even the guys they did get they added cheaply. Kimbrel was added because Zobrist freed up $10 million. Castellanos cost very little. Hamels was brought back by dumping $7 million on Texas to get them out of paying his buyout.

They were giving 1200-1500 PAs a year to guys who flat out cannot hit and they couldnít add any moderate salary player to upgrade the team for more than a couple months. Now they enter a year where they had an easy path to project to 90+ wins and tops in the division but they are choosing to cut $80-100 million from payroll (not even counting the $15 mil or so they cut by going from Theo and Maddon to Jed and Ross) instead of trying.

Over the course of the Ricketts ownership the Cubs have been towards the back half of the top 10 in overall payrolls and theyíve been close to the top half of the top 10 in estimated revenues. Even if we want to only compare them against the other billionaires who own Mlb teams today they are spending a lower than average percentage of estimated revenues on player payroll. If we want to compare them against owners 20-30 years ago then itís a significant reduction in payroll spending as a percentage of revenues.

The bootlicking by some is absurd. The Ricketts have more than earned their share of criticism. Theo signed some contracts that didnít work out. He deserves his share of criticism. But the Ricketts have not been huge spenders over the term of their ownership. The team is tearing down for the 2nd time in a decade under their ownership. This is the major market high revenue Chicago ****ing Cubs slashing payroll and rebuilding twice in 10 years. That should be unacceptable to fans. When they were in their peak years they were limited by the self imposed restrictions of the lux tax and an unwillingness of ownership to add payroll externally. Now they enter another period of cutting money and leaving fans watching minor league box scores.

If anyone thinks the Ricketts are unfairly criticized then they are free to have that opinion. I think that is complete garbage. **** the Ricketts.
    Last edited by CP_414; 01-22-2021 at 05:40 PM.

Think some people need to go be a fan of a team that is truly cheap and see what exactly it means to be cheap, because the Cubs certainly havent been cheap.

Look around the league. No one is building teams through free agency. It didn't work for the Cubs in the 2000's. It didnt work for the Yankees. It didn't work for the Dodgers. Every team has a core group of players that they have brought up through the system and build around that core. The Cubs core is on its last leg. It's not being cheap to look at the situation and see that a rebuild is going to have to happen. That is just a fact as a result of not getting an extension worked out with any of the core the Cubs built around. There are 2 sides to that negotiation and no one knows what kind of money was thrown around, but now after last season there's no way the Cubs are going to be offering "market value" for any of the players and there's no way that any of the players would/should accept a low offer when they still have a year to up their value. So the fact of the matter is you either throw a bunch more money at a roster that has collapsed 3 years in a row and has scored a whopping 2 runs in the playoffs since 2018 or trade the core and hope to get back something you can build around in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Think some people need to go be a fan of a team that is truly cheap and see what exactly it means to be cheap, because the Cubs certainly havent been cheap.

Look around the league. No one is building teams through free agency. It didn't work for the Cubs in the 2000's. It didnt work for the Yankees. It didn't work for the Dodgers. Every team has a core group of players that they have brought up through the system and build around that core. The Cubs core is on its last leg. It's not being cheap to look at the situation and see that a rebuild is going to have to happen. That is just a fact as a result of not getting an extension worked out with any of the core the Cubs built around. There are 2 sides to that negotiation and no one knows what kind of money was thrown around, but now after last season there's no way the Cubs are going to be offering "market value" for any of the players and there's no way that any of the players would/should accept a low offer when they still have a year to up their value. So the fact of the matter is you either throw a bunch more money at a roster that has collapsed 3 years in a row and has scored a whopping 2 runs in the playoffs since 2018 or trade the core and hope to get back something you can build around in a couple years.
    For me, this is the logical and easy choice option.

How often to the Yankees tank? How about the Dodgers? How about the big market Cardinals?

Tanking twice in a decade is not the only option for the Chicago Cubs. Itís a choice. Itís a choice that is necessitated by an unwillingness of ownership to consistently support competitive payrolls.

It costs more for teams to be consistently good than it does to be a team that alternates waves of being good and bad. Teams like the Rays and the Aís and Marlins have to alternate or get really creative and avoid being great in the interests of being very good longer. Teams like the Yankees and Dodgers and Cards (and Cubs!!!) donít have to make that choice. They can remain competitive in the down years and good to great in the up years. The Cubs are simply choosing to suck because itís more profitable.

The Cubs absolutely could have built a very good team under the lux tax in 2021. They decided not to.

If you are cool with it, be cool with it. I think itís garbage.