Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 222 of 314 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232272 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 4701
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Well, if Jed is going to hire a GM, he now has another team to potentially compete with. But there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency for him anyway. Maybe he doesn't hire one until next year, as moves to be a good team are not going to happen anyway.
    Ricketts is obviously in severe penny pinching mode, poor guy..... Wouldnít surprise me if Hoyer has been directed not to hire anyone and handle this lame suck season alone, saving even more money.

The good will Ricketts bought with the 2016 championship has pretty much faded.

So was this Dom person calling out the Porter news breaking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RowBTrice View Post
    So was this Dom person calling out the Porter news breaking?

Does not appear so. Hes alluded it to being a trade since day 1. Take it FWIW.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Well, if Jed is going to hire a GM, he now has another team to potentially compete with. But there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency for him anyway. Maybe he doesn't hire one until next year, as moves to be a good team are not going to happen anyway.
    The other finalist for the Mets job was Zack Scott from the Red Sox. After they hired Porter they actually also hired Scott to a VP position. Iím guessing heíll be named the GM in NY pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Does not appear so. Hes alluded it to being a trade since day 1. Take it FWIW.

Ok gotcha. Thanks

Ricketts is still waiting on the rest of his stimulus check before we can bring in a GM or any major league players

Jesse Rogers was just on ESPN radio and he said the Cubs couldn't sign Lester unless they freed up money first. This is pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Jesse Rogers was just on ESPN radio and he said the Cubs couldn't sign Lester unless they freed up money first. This is pathetic
    The Cubs active payroll according to spotrac is $125m right now. That's too much money, apparently (it'll go higher with Happ signing, and as well as a handful of these MiLB contracts becoming guaranteed). But they're below $150m right now. If they need to still drop money, they'll probably drop between $80m and $100m from last year.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-19-2021 at 12:09 PM.

Yeah I said earlier that with the 3 assistant GMs that he'd likely just go with them this season to do what they're doing and give whomever he brings in a fresh start next offseason

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The other finalist for the Mets job was Zack Scott from the Red Sox. After they hired Porter they actually also hired Scott to a VP position. Iím guessing heíll be named the GM in NY pretty soon.
    My guess is you are absolutely correct

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Wow. I mean, it's kind of what we figured but wow. Two thoughts:

1. It's not necessarily criminal they let Lester go but it means that they don't really even have $5 million to spend on the roster. Just look at our current outfield situation to see why that's a massive issue.

2. In a year that pretty much everyone agrees will kind of suck for Cubs fan, you couldn't shell out a few million so we get to see Jon get 200 wins? It might have been one of the only really feel good moments for the fans this season. It also means he could retire a Cub which would be, again, a nice feel good moment for the fans.

**** the Ricketts man.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    Wow. I mean, it's kind of what we figured but wow. Two thoughts:

1. It's not necessarily criminal they let Lester go but it means that they don't really even have $5 million to spend on the roster. Just look at our current outfield situation to see why that's a massive issue.

2. In a year that pretty much everyone agrees will kind of suck for Cubs fan, you couldn't shell out a few million so we get to see Jon get 200 wins? It might have been one of the only really feel good moments for the fans this season. It also means he could retire a Cub which would be, again, a nice feel good moment for the fans.

**** the Ricketts man.
    It's even worse. Lester's $5m is deterred. He's only making $2m this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    It's even worse. Lester's $5m is deterred. He's only making $2m this year.

Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    Unbelievable.
    It gets even worse. He'll make $2m this year and $3m...in 2023. This is where the Chicago Cubs are at. They can't beat that offer. That's too much and they needed to "clear money" to beat...that. A team who was at $218m last year. Who's down to ~$140m and still needs to "clear money" according to Jesse Rogers. They can't beat that.

I'm okay with Lester leaving. I'm just floored with how bad the ownership is right now. If we're going to suck let the man win 200 here.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-19-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Nats offense should be good enough to carry him for the most part, I just hope Lester doesn't struggle all season just to try and get those 7 wins.

Hate to see him with an inflated ERA and just a couple wins in July and Nats fans calling for his head because he struggles to go 5 innings, and he ends up getting release

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk