Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 221 of 314 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,315 of 4701
    NM.

The Porter incident happened during the same season in which Russell and Chapman were in the organization. So, I decided NOT to give the organization the benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by Bluefire; 01-19-2021 at 02:12 AM.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    The last time we started a rebuild we were atlleast willing to give major league contracts to a few bounce back candidates.
    That was mainly because they had pretty much zip in the farm system and spent 4 years building it up with top draft picks and flips..

I remember they didn't even have a 1st basemen to play in Iowa, it was in 2011 they made a trade with Seattle for Lahair.
    They got Carlos Pena to play 1st for the Cubs.

They released Hoffpauir and D.Lee was a FA after the 2010 season

I remember talking to my buddy about this, how can a major league team not have someone at every position available at every level in the minors

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    That was mainly because they had pretty much zip in the farm system and spent 4 years building it up with top draft picks and flips..

I remember they didn't even have a 1st basemen to play in Iowa, it was in 2011 they made a trade with Seattle for Lahair.
    They got Carlos Pena to play 1st for the Cubs.

They released Hoffpauir and D.Lee was a FA after the 2010 season

I remember talking to my buddy about this, how can a major league team not have someone at every position available at every level in the minors

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    I understand what you're saying man. Regardless of what way you want to plan your rebuild, money only helps. Spending it on some major league player possible bounce backs is going to net you more prospect value then dumpster diving and having 30 mil in RIcketts pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by s2obed View Post
    I know Lester is past his prime but we need a few starters. Why not just bring him back? I wonder how much he ended up getting.
    He cost more than a million dollars. Cubs are into minor league contracts these days.

Quote Originally Posted by cubs1423 View Post
    Chatwood has a deal with the Jays, per Heyman. Odd that he and Lester sign one after the other. Curious if that suggests they were waiting on something with regards to the Cubs or if it is just a coincidence. Of course, it could also just be that the two are similar enough that their markets overlapped.
    Maybe with the tight payrolls due to COVID a lot of teams were waiting for arbitration to happen so teams know exactly where they stand payroll wise, meaning more deals will come now too.

Lester leaving, eh, I get it.

But how could we not retain Chatty on a non-contending team for 2M+?

Arenít those the exact arms we need?

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    Somebody still has to go out there and pitch. Give me Chatwood for 3 mil as opposed to some Alec Mills type for 1 mil. Itís no difference when we are like 70-80 mil under the luxury tax. At least Chat is nasty and fun to watch when heís right.
    There may also be the belief that they prefer the worse outcome with Mills opposed to Chatwood. I think that not only don't they want to spend money at all this season, but they don't want to improve the team either this season.

https://twitter.com/stevenacohen2/st...663450116?s=21

Way to not waste any time on this.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    There may also be the belief that they prefer the worse outcome with Mills opposed to Chatwood. I think that not only don't they want to spend money at all this season, but they don't want to improve the team either this season.
    Yeah and again Iíll say that I donít really care who is pitching. It isnít going to matter. I was just laughing at the fact we couldnít have kept Lester and or Chat for 7 mil. If they want to let the Tyson Millerís of the world get a spot, then thatís fine. It was more of a joke about how broke we are and how much this sucks and that other guy was freaking out wanting to challenge me on it. Itís not that serious.

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    Yeah and again Iíll say that I donít really care who is pitching. It isnít going to matter. I was just laughing at the fact we couldnít have kept Lester and or Chat for 7 mil. If they want to let the Tyson Millerís of the world get a spot, then thatís fine. It was more of a joke about how broke we are and how much this sucks and that other guy was freaking out wanting to challenge me on it. Itís not that serious.
    I hear ya. Right now, I just feel like the Cubs would prefer to not put a competitive team on the field this year. Not just avoid spending money. Lester and Chatwood may be a better outcome then let's say, Mills and Miller.

Tyler Chatwood is a)ridiculously high maintenance and b)not good. If there is something magically hidden inside him, itís pretty clear the Cubs arenít the organization to find it.

Well, if Jed is going to hire a GM, he now has another team to potentially compete with. But there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency for him anyway. Maybe he doesn't hire one until next year, as moves to be a good team are not going to happen anyway.

Well, if Jed is going to hire a GM, he now has another team to potentially compete with. But there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency for him anyway. Maybe he doesn't hire one until next year, as moves to be a good team are not going to happen anyway.
    They don't seem to have started the job. Probably will wait at this point.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    They don't seem to have started the job. Probably will wait at this point.

I had two thoughts. He would hire someone within a week of his promotion, or he wouldn't hire anybody at all. At this point, clean house, or do whatever it is he wants to do, and hire someone after the smoke has cleared. Not to mention there's additional money to be saved by not hiring anybody. Yes!!!

I had two thoughts. He would hire someone within a week of his promotion, or he wouldn't hire anybody at all. At this point, clean house, or do whatever it is he wants to do, and hire someone after the smoke has cleared. Not to mention there's additional money to be saved by not hiring anybody. Yes!!!
    There was never a world where they could hire someone in a week unless it was a promotion. Always was going to take a bit coming from outside. I figured they'd have done it in December. At this point I don't think they should force it and it doesn't seem like Ricketts wants to pay anyone either. They can't even pay someone a guaranteed contract.