Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 218 of 314 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 4701
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Eh in his defense he said it was close and things happen so I'm not entirely killing him there. Hes whatever. I still think he's got some connection, but I don't think it's someone deep. CP had suggested maybe someone in the media dept (how he'd know Boog and vague ideas and goodbyes but not specific details). That he hasn't taken an easy out on either Schwarber or Lester. If you want to gain followers that's what you do, not wafer and hope for something else (you make people question your BS).

I'll keep him on the periphery. He ain't Rosenthal.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    I’ll still pay attention to him more than the average Joe, like Charles the Cat who don’t know his *** from a hole in the wall. But he was wrong. He specifically said something was happening a certain day, like 2 weeks ago. If he does have a source, and they are wrong, then that still makes him wrong. I know deals can fall apart, but he keeps talking like the thing he was talking about a few weeks ago is still in the works. He’s never said that the specific thing he heard fell through.

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    I’ll still pay attention to him more than the average Joe, like Charles the Cat who don’t know his *** from a hole in the wall. But he was wrong. He specifically said something was happening a certain day, like 2 weeks ago. If he does have a source, and they are wrong, then that still makes him wrong. I know deals can fall apart, but he keeps talking like the thing he was talking about a few weeks ago is still in the works. He’s never said that the specific thing he heard fell through.
    Well he also never said a specific day, IIRC. Only to be prepared and that goodbyes were "being prepared". I think people took what he said and ran with it a little far.

I think whatever he said probably wasn't anywhere near as close as he made it sound or fell through. How trust worthy he is, is definitely iffy. But he has had 2 easy outs and hasn't taken it. So he's definitely doubling down that he thinks he has something.

It's a bummer the Cubs didn't offer him much. If you're gonna suck, at least let Lester win 200 here. I'd rather watch that than Shelby Miller or Alec Mills suckfests.

I know Lester is past his prime but we need a few starters. Why not just bring him back? I wonder how much he ended up getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well he also never said a specific day, IIRC. Only to be prepared and that goodbyes were "being prepared". I think people took what he said and ran with it a little far.

I think whatever he said probably wasn't anywhere near as close as he made it sound or fell through. How trust worthy he is, is definitely iffy. But he has had 2 easy outs and hasn't taken it. So he's definitely doubling down that he thinks he has something.

https://twitter.com/dom_frederic/sta...368350208?s=21

He did say a specific day. I mean he was pretty clear that whatever was happening, was happening on that day. It didn’t. When somebody asked if the Lester news was the secret, he said no. I don’t know if he was talking about Jesse’s secret from earlier today, or his secret from this tweet I linked. Either way, he will have to prove me wrong before I take his word to the bank. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of him breaking the Boog news and his twitter followers, but he needs to be right about something else before I fully trust what he says. And if Contreras gets traded tomorrow and he says “that was the news” well that will be hard for me to give him credit for. Literally anybody could play that game. At this point, it would be more shocking if Contreras and Bryant didn’t get traded.

https://twitter.com/dom_frederic/sta...368350208?s=21

He did say a specific day. I mean he was pretty clear that whatever was happening, was happening on that day. It didn’t. When somebody asked if the Lester news was the secret, he said no. I don’t know if he was talking about Jesse’s secret from earlier today, or his secret from this tweet I linked. Either way, he will have to prove me wrong before I take his word to the bank. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of him breaking the Boog news and his twitter followers, but he needs to be right about something else before I fully trust what he says. And if Contreras gets traded tomorrow and he says “that was the news” well that will be hard for me to give him credit for. Literally anybody could play that game. At this point, it would be more shocking if Contreras and Bryant didn’t get traded.
    I mean, he used "might". Thats not calling a day. I think that's a stretch. I said I "might" go to the grocery store today. I didnt, either. Might implies "might not" is viable. You might want to prepare also means it might not happen. I would not call that "calling a specific day" myself.

He has said no to both Schwarber and Jessie's news today as to what he was alluding to. He's had easy outs and has not taken them. He's not gaining anything saying no to these to hopefully "call" something later. So whatever his original thing is, hes sticking to it. If he's going to play the "call the Contreras trade" why wouldn't he call the Schwarber thing that dropped an hour later? He'd look like a genius. If he didn't think he had some info why would you sit on that, but not take the easy out if he had nothing?

I don't want to defend him (I'm close to unfollowing him as I find him nearly unreadable) but I think you're being unnecessarily harsh, too. It wasn't "this is happening today 100%".

He might know nothing. I'm not saying he's a profit. But he hasn't really done anything overly misleading here, I'm not sure he's wrong, and he's doubled down twice when he didn't need to. I think that's worth something. I'm still on the fence on where I think his level is myself.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-18-2021 at 09:59 PM.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

I mean, he used "might". Thats not calling a day. I think that's a stretch. I said I "might" go to the grocery store today. I didnt, either. Might implies "might not" is viable. You might want to prepare also means it might not happen. I would not call that "calling a specific day" myself.

He has said no to both Schwarber and Jessie's news today as to what he was alluding to. He's had easy outs and has not taken them. He's not gaining anything saying no to these to hopefully "call" something later. So whatever his original thing is, hes sticking to it. If he's going to play the "call the Contreras trade" why wouldn't he call the Schwarber thing that dropped an hour later? He'd look like a genius. If he didn't think he had some info why would you sit on that, but not take the easy out if he had nothing?

I don't want to defend him but I think you're being unnecessarily harsh, too. It wasn't "this is happening today 100%".

He might know nothing. I'm not saying he's a profit. But he hasn't really done anything overly misleading here, I'm not sure he's wrong, and he's doubled down twice when he didn't need to. I think that's worth something.
    Maybe so. But I’m not being harsh. I joined you in defending him at first. At some point, you just have to be right. He’s being vague. He can explain himself without giving names. Or explain what happened. If he’s sourced enough to know it was in motion, he should be sourced enough to know what happened. I just tend to believe that you are giving him too much slack here. He said “you might want to prepare yourselves today.” And “goodbyes are being prepared.” Maybe he didn’t mean that day specifically, but it sure seems that way. If he didn’t think it was happening for sure that day, then he shouldn’t have used the word “today.” But that’s on him and it just leaves people like you and me speculating here.

It’s no use to continue splitting hairs here. I don’t think either one of us can do anything but speculate on how we interpreted what he said. Like I said, I’m not totally writing him off, but I’m a little more bullish on him than I was previously.

Wow... Lester only got 4 mil? I mean we couldn’t give him that and let him stay and get his 200th win here? And hopefully send him off the way he deserves with a full stadium at Wrigley? That’s wild.

Maybe so. But I’m not being harsh. I joined you in defending him at first. At some point, you just have to be right. He’s being vague. He can explain himself without giving names. Or explain what happened. If he’s sourced enough to know it was in motion, he should be sourced enough to know what happened. I just tend to believe that you are giving him too much slack here. He said “you might want to prepare yourselves today.” And “goodbyes are being prepared.” Maybe he didn’t mean that day specifically, but it sure seems that way. If he didn’t think it was happening for sure that day, then he shouldn’t have used the word “today.” But that’s on him and it just leaves people like you and me speculating here.

It’s no use to continue splitting hairs here. I don’t think either one of us can do anything but speculate on how we interpreted what he said. Like I said, I’m not totally writing him off, but I’m a little more bullish on him than I was previously.
    Yeah I'm fine being more skeptical. I just don't think he's necessarily "wrong" yet. I think he's earned enough slack to still be "TBD". He's had options to be "right" and lie, and didn't take them. To me, that's something.

Like I said, I find him nearly insufferable. I don't want to stick my neck out for him.

Wow... Lester only got 4 mil? I mean we couldn’t give him that and let him stay and get his 200th win here? And hopefully send him off the way he deserves with a full stadium at Wrigley? That’s wild.
    Not defending the Cubs but wouldn't they be paying him 14 mil total then with the 10 mil buyout of the 20?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Not defending the Cubs but wouldn't they be paying him 14 mil total then with the 10 mil buyout of the 20?

They were already paying the $10m. It's a sunk cost. But the real answer here is "The Cubs don't want to spend $4m on the the rotation".

Under a month til ST, maybe this is the start of FA signing.
    These guys wanna get settled into their new homes