Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 205 of 300 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 4500
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    These are such terrible reports to hear. KB is the one guy they should be keeping.
    I think they should be getting rid of all the upcoming core FA's with the possible exception of Rizzo.

But honestly I'm not even sure it's the players themselves who are the problem, it's probably deeper than that, it may be an org development thing. When an org puts so much focus on walks, HR, launch angle etc and drafts guys and develops guys with that focus we're kind of getting the offense we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    These are such terrible reports to hear. KB is the one guy they should be keeping.
    Is he healthy?

He's had nagging injuries for 3 years now and hes never really been a clutch hitter. Last year he was awful in just about every category. His best hitting statistic was barrels at the 31st percentile. Throw a Kyle Hendricks fastball belt high right down the middle and he would swing through it.

I would like to extend him but I'm not giving him a contract that makes him a player I'm locked into building around. I dont think he'll ever be MVP Bryant again, but he could get back to being one of the top players in the league or he could be Chris Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    His LA and Barrel% is right in line with Almora and Descalso (actually his LA% is much worse than Almora). Yeah, he probably isn't much better than those 2. That's the level we are talking here. He makes weak contact and hits nothing in the air. Thats why those 2 suck, too. He walks more than Almora but he's not going to walk a lot when MLB pitchers refuse to do anything but pump strikes.
    Yes it's possible his walks go down a bit. He costs nothing and is zero risk to find out, and can be dumped or demoted immediately. The difference between Almora/Descalso and Martini is that at least thus far Martini has hit RHP and those other 2 can't, they are in the high 600's in OPS vs RHP because neither can hit or walk. He at least can walk. He performed well in the leadoff slot thus far, a bunch of walks and a few HBP, almost .400 OBP (again certainly inflated due to BABIP).

And he costs nothing, he's zero risk, he's a flier. He could very well be a AAA guy, or AAAA.

He has barely 100 PAs with runners on base and less than 60 with RISP. Those numbers are worthless.
    They're not "worthless", it's just a small sample size. In statistics you don't completely throw out numbers because of a small sample size. It just means the value of the stats for evaluation/projection purposes is quite limited because it's a small sample. But it did happen.

His SLG is skewed then because he hit one of his 2 home runs on that situation.
    You're throwing out statistics that don't support your argument. He hit both of his HR with men on base. Maybe that says something, more likely it doesn't, again too small sample to show trends, but it did happen. His entire MLB career is a small sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Yes it's possible his walks go down a bit. He costs nothing and is zero risk to find out, and can be dumped or demoted immediately. The difference between Almora/Descalso and Martini is that at least thus far Martini has hit RHP and those other 2 can't, they are in the high 600's in OPS vs RHP because neither can hit or walk. He at least can walk. He performed well in the leadoff slot thus far, a bunch of walks and a few HBP, almost .400 OBP (again certainly inflated due to BABIP).

And he costs nothing, he's zero risk, he's a flier. He could very well be a AAA guy, or AAAA.

They're not "worthless", it's just a small sample size. In statistics you don't completely throw out numbers because of a small sample size. It just means the value of the stats for evaluation/projection purposes is quite limited because it's a small sample. But it did happen.

You're throwing out statistics that don't support your argument. He hit both of his HR with men on base. Maybe that says something, more likely it doesn't, again too small sample to show trends, but it did happen. His entire MLB career is a small sample.
    You and 1908 are having some great back and forth reading material.

When I said they were "worthless" I mean in terms evaluation. They're worthless right now. They mean nothing. Don't use them. Don't try to use them to defend him.

And yes it all backs up my point; his 60 PAs with men on base only look better because he lucked into a home run during them. You're playing this semantic game that somehow because a guy is on 2nd he hits better. He doesn't. Hes still Nick ****ing Martini.

And while his entire career is SSS things like LA and Barrel% stabilize early. That's what he is. His 80 wRC+ is far more in line with what he'll be. With 200 PAs we can be confident that those are his true LA and barrel numbers. Those are his EV numbers.

Yeah hes a free stab. Whatever. The point goes back to your original point; he's a bad player. He will be bad in a platoon role. If the Cubs don't care in 2021 then whatever. But please let's not pretend he's good, or will be good. He's as good of a bet in baseball to be a bad MLB player. This is really simple. Guys who hit the ball on the ground, with weak contact don't hit well. Even if they walk. Hes bad defensively. He offers little. The Cubs can play him but they could also play another other AAA LF'er and expect similar results. We shouldn't be giving him any more time debating it.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-10-2021 at 10:19 PM.

I think they should be getting rid of all the upcoming core FA's with the possible exception of Rizzo.

But honestly I'm not even sure it's the players themselves who are the problem, it's probably deeper than that, it may be an org development thing. When an org puts so much focus on walks, HR, launch angle etc and drafts guys and develops guys with that focus we're kind of getting the offense we deserve.
    Word to your mother.

Havenít you heard? Weíre traded another guy yesterday. At least thatís what someone told someone who has a Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Havenít you heard? Weíre traded another guy yesterday. At least thatís what someone told someone who has a Twitter.
    I think that guy was just messing with his followers

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

If that were the case then we'd be hanging with the Dodgers still because they're the absolute creme de la creme when it comes to those. Excel in those areas and you will score a shitload of runs.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    If that were the case then we'd be hanging with the Dodgers still because they're the absolute creme de la creme when it comes to those. Excel in those areas and you will score a shitload of runs.
    The Cubs do take walks and hit HRs. Aside from 2018 and last season they have been top 10 in both categories and better than the Dodgers in walks for a couple of those years. What the Cubs are terrible at and what the Dodgers excel at is not striking out, where recently the Cubs have been one of the absolute worst teams and the Dodgers have been one of the best teams.
    Last edited by cuzi; 01-11-2021 at 05:47 AM.

Cross the Braves off for KB trade

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status...511687684?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Cross the Braves off for KB trade

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status...511687684?s=19

If only KB has shown the ability to play the OF. Wait.......
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Yup. Lol

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    The problem is we've also sucked in other areas. It's possible we've put so much emphasis on the key analytics stats we've ignored other areas.

If you train a player to swing hard and increase that exit velo and virtually ignore contact rate, guys are going to strikeout with a guy on 3rd with less than 2 outs or not succeed at hit-and-runs. If minor league coaches don't put much focus on bunting then guys can't bunt. It's clear that the skills that were taught in the 1980's aren't taught or valued as much anymore. It's a different game, but maybe we've gone a bit too far.

When Ichiro debuted even 20 years he played the game differently than other MLB players. He was very skilled in drag-bunts, hit line drives for high average, started running out of the box while in mid-swing, his baserunning was sick. He clearly had a lifetime of practicing skills the West stopped teaching since the 1980's. That's an extreme example but you get my point.

Now a lot of lefty hitters hit with the 3rd basemen MIA from the shift and can't even put down a bunt for a free single. Schwarber was trying for a while but seemed to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Doesn't mean or guarentee he could do it for a full season

Be pretty risky on the Braves part to trade assets and pay up to 20 mil on a guy who hasn't played the position full time and it been 2 seasons since he had any actual time out there (4 Gms in 2020).