Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 192 of 300 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 4500
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Unless Bryant comes crawling back to the Cubs after not getting any offers for what he feels he's worth in FA, I don't think there's any chance he wears a Cubs uniform beyond his current contract.

And I would rather spend any money that would go towards Baez on Story, Seager, or Lindor, but it's probably pretty likely that Lindor will be given a big contract by the new billionaire owner of the Mets that just traded for him. However, that still leaves Story and Seager who are just better than Baez.
    I don't think KB needs to do any crawling, Hoyer would be happy if they can come to an agreement with KB.

I'm 50/50 with Javy, love the way he plays the game, but drives me nuts at times with his bat..
    never a guarentee on FAs signing, so it a risk not extending Javy and hoping to sign one of those 3, cubs do have a good stock of SS in the system to back them up there though

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Good for the Mets. Another team that can stand in the way of the Dodgers getting their monkey off their back fully (don't @ me) is fine with me. Hell, I would love to see Mets/Padres for the NLCS in 21.

With that said, I think the last trade that floored me in a good way, was the day the Cubs announced the Nomar trade. That day was a good day.
    Who could resist watching Nomar adjust his gloves for 5 minutes between pitches [emoji28]

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I donít think the correct Cubs take here is that they waited too long to sell. I think the correct Cubs take is that itís BS that they canít buy in an offseason where you can get stars for next to nothing.

They could have built a really great team with a payroll up against the tax in 2021.
    Buy what with what?

Seriously.

Look at the FA market. What are they going to buy that fixes the team? George Springer?

The Cubs haven't really had a problem with pitching, at least starting pitching. Their main problem has been consistently scoring runs against quality pitching. The kind of pitching that the team is inevitably going to be facing each and every game in the playoffs. All the way down the lineup it is player after player that just disappears for months at a time. What are the Cubs going to buy that fixes Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Contreras, Heyward, Happ, and whoever the Cubs stick in CF or 2B because all those options kind of suck.

If there is no one out there to really buy with money to fill in the voids and make this team legit then what are they going to trade that brings back value? Evidently, they dont have anything. They traded Darvish who has arguably been the best pitcher in baseball for 1.5 years now and has a pretty friendly deal considering what aces are signing for these days and got back a soft tossing #3 pitcher and a handful of lottery tickets.

The Indians just traded a much better SS than Baez and got back a guy who was once a top 10 prospect in baseball who hasnt even been a 1 WAR player in the majors over 4 years, a fringe top 100 prospect, and the 9th and 10th best prospect of the Mets system. What is Baez going to get you?
    Last edited by cuzi; 01-07-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I donít think the correct Cubs take here is that they waited too long to sell. I think the correct Cubs take is that itís BS that they canít buy in an offseason where you can get stars for next to nothing.

They could have built a really great team with a payroll up against the tax in 2021.
    This is 100% accurate and 1000% sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    So the best SS in baseball, in his last year, plus a 2 year salary dump for meh. I'd say that the most similar move that we could make would be Javi/Hendricks (salary wise + a year) for some prospects.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it sure would have been nice to move Javi and KB 2-3 years ago. They have no trade value at all.
    In what world is Carassco a salary dump? Back to back 5fwar seasons in 2017 and 2018 before injury and cancer in 2019. He then returns in 2020 posting a 3.59FIP, 2.91ERA and 10.85K/9 which put him on pace for more than a 4fwar full season.

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

Buy what with what?
    Buy players with money and buy players by trading weak prospect packages because players cost money.

The Mets just bought 8-11 wins with about $30-35 million in 2021 money and a pretty weak trade package.

The Cubs are now down about $80 million in payroll from 2020. Say you take $70 million of that $80 million and you do the Lindor/Carrasco trade instead of the Mets. You keep Darvish instead of dumping him. Then you either sign someone like Michael Brantley or grab multiple high contact guys to lengthen the lineup along with Lindor (and you keep Contreras). Is that not a great team that is under the tax? That team wins 95+ games and dominates the Central.
    Last edited by CP_414; 01-07-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Buy what with what?

Seriously.

Look at the FA market. What are they going to buy that fixes the team? George Springer?

The Cubs haven't really had a problem with pitching, at least starting pitching. Their main problem has been consistently scoring runs against quality pitching. The kind of pitching that the team is inevitably going to be facing each and every game in the playoffs. All the way down the lineup it is player after player that just disappears for months at a time. What are the Cubs going to buy that fixes Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Contreras, Heyward, Happ, and whoever the Cubs stick in CF or 2B because all those options kind of suck.

If there is no one out there to really buy with money to fill in the voids and make this team legit then what are they going to trade that brings back value? Evidently, they dont have anything. They traded Darvish who has arguably been the best pitcher in baseball for 1.5 years now and has a pretty friendly deal considering what aces are signing for these days and got back a soft tossing #3 pitcher and a handful of lottery tickets.

The Indians just traded a much better SS than Baez and got back a guy who was once a top 10 prospect in baseball who hasnt even been a 1 WAR player in the majors over 4 years, a fringe top 100 prospect, and the 9th and 10th best prospect of the Mets system. What is Baez going to get you?
    Wouldn't Springer be an better upgrade in the lineup over Schwarber?

Cubs could made an offer for Lindor and Carrasco and moved Javy over to 2B.

There would be of been a few things they could of done to upgrade the team if they weren't concerned about payroll

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

Nightengale says the Mets are still engaged with FA OF George Springer and ďhave had recent trade talks with the Cubs for Kris BryantĒ even after the move today to acquire Lindor and Carrasco.

Take it FWIW

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    The scouting on Isaiah Greene are all over. Kiley seems to like him. Others see a highly inconsistent, defense/speed first prospect. He's risky. Only hit 4 HR's in HS. He's very much a "Yeah, yeah the power's probably there" kind of prospect.
    It's amazing how many low-power prospects have scouts say "when he fills out more and learns to drive the ball the power will come". It usually doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Nightengale says the Mets are still engaged with FA OF George Springer and ďhave had recent trade talks with the Cubs for Kris BryantĒ even after the move today to acquire Lindor and Carrasco.

Take it FWIW
    I doubt they had conversations today about KB, my guess is they probably had conversations before the Holidays and then turned their attention to Lindor afterwards when they couldn't agree on anything

That's the most depressing trade in terms of thinking the Cubs are getting anything remotely decent for Bryant or Baez. Theo really Castro'd this roster by waiting too long to make a move.
    The Cubs are screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    It's amazing how many low-power prospects have scouts say "when he fills out more and learns to drive the ball the power will come". It usually doesn't.
    Absolutely. The "oh he's got more power, I promise!" prospect is among my least favorites. These guys rarely fix these issues or just create power out of nowhere. Guys with game power fight through crappy swings and mechanics and they find it. If we're choosing "fixable" traits, give me the guy with the power who has issues making contacts because their swing is jacked versus the guy who has to somehow learn how to make power appear via thin air.

In the end, if I'm drafting a kid in the 2nd, I'd take the Brennan Davis type of a mess over the Isaiah Greene type of a risk every time and twice on Sunday. You can build a swing, you don't rarely manifest power.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    Truly is a great time to buy in this market
    Exactly. If it's a buyers market, then BUY.

If you can get Darvish or Lindor for a bunch of nobody's, then the Cubs should trade their nobody's for guys like that.

Trying to sell Darvish, Baez, Bryant, Schwarber, Rizzo in this market.....what a disaster.

I was just remembering in 2015 offseason with all the talks of Cub and their young hitters and Mets with the young pitchers should pull off a trade..

Maybe a deal will finally be made 5 yrs later..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Exactly. If it's a buyers market, then BUY.

If you can get Darvish or Lindor for a bunch of nobody's, then the Cubs should trade their nobody's for guys like that.

Trying to sell Darvish, Baez, Bryant, Schwarber, Rizzo in this market.....what a disaster.
    Yep this fín sucks dude. KB will literally probably be a salary dump to somebody for some 19 year old who throws 100 mph thatís destined for the bullpen 3 years from now. We couldíve fielded a really good team this year based on what these star players are getting trade for, and here we are trying to trade our best players for underwhelming returns.