Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 56 of 234 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    That's probably real good for the Cubs. That instantly makes Javier Baez and Kris Bryant on one year contracts interesting for them. Bryant could slide into LF with Jeff McNeil retaking 2b, or Baez could be on the radar for 2b.
    True. Could make it harder to get LaStella or someone else though if we wanted to go for them. Though that seems unlikely if they do a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    If a team has a president of baseball operations, why do they need a general manager also? Don't they have essentially the same job duties?

I could be wrong, but didn't Theo pretty much make every baseball decision? Why was Jed needed?

That being said, why is it necessary to hire a general manager if Jed is the one that's going to be making baseball decisions? Conversely, if the general manager is going to be making all the decisions, what's the purpose of Jed's job? It seems like a waste of money.

Am I missing something here?
    What the GM does and the baseball Ops is kind of shifting. We lived in a world 10 years ago where we barely talked about VP of Ops and it was all "GM, GM, GM". Today, it seems to have shifted up. Your VP is basically what the GM was, the GM has become the "assistant to the GM" and so-forth. I think in many ways it was a way to circumvent contracts and hire outside of the org the GM you wanted (for example, Porter and Samayde, both of Arizona's assistan GM's who are on the Cubs wish list, I'd assume, based on their track record and their connections to the Cubs FO would both have been able to be hired as a GM probably 3-5 years ago. Now their contracts have stipulations that it must be for a VP position outside of the org or they can block the interview).

In the end, it's another voice. It's more ideas. Jed is going to run the big picture. Your GM may handle more day to day stuff, handle initial trade stuff...but they're going to be very important. They're the number 2 guy. Take it this way; according to Theo, it was Jed pushing for Pedro Strop in trades. The Cubs got half a decade out of Pedro Strop as a high leverage reliever. Doesn't that kind of just pay for the GM itself? Hard to say it's a waste of money.

So now, we need Jed's guy who says "Dude, make sure you get that guy".

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    True. Could make it harder to get LaStella or someone else though if we wanted to go for them. Though that seems unlikely if they do a rebuild.
    It could. But at this stage it's probably best to look at every opening as a potential landing spot for our guys, and less of the Cubs as a landing spot for anyone else. It's becoming clearer and clearer; we ain't trying to be a winner next year. More opening spots; creates a bigger market for what is going to be, I think, a crowded, depressed market.

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...588631052?s=19

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Wow. Mets gonna be looking for a 2B now:

Should just retire...
    I was wondering if they were still testing these guys for PHD, didn't hear anything about it during the season

What the GM does and the baseball Ops is kind of shifting. We lived in a world 10 years ago where we barely talked about VP of Ops and it was all "GM, GM, GM". Today, it seems to have shifted up. Your VP is basically what the GM was, the GM has become the "assistant to the GM" and so-forth. I think in many ways it was a way to circumvent contracts and hire outside of the org the GM you wanted (for example, Porter and Samayde, both of Arizona's assistan GM's who are on the Cubs wish list, I'd assume, based on their track record and their connections to the Cubs FO would both have been able to be hired as a GM probably 3-5 years ago. Now their contracts have stipulations that it must be for a VP position outside of the org or they can block the interview).

In the end, it's another voice. It's more ideas. Jed is going to run the big picture. Your GM may handle more day to day stuff, handle initial trade stuff...but they're going to be very important. They're the number 2 guy. Take it this way; according to Theo, it was Jed pushing for Pedro Strop in trades. The Cubs got half a decade out of Pedro Strop as a high leverage reliever. Doesn't that kind of just pay for the GM itself? Hard to say it's a waste of money.

So now, we need Jed's guy who says "Dude, make sure you get that guy".
    This is exactly how I view it also.

I don't understand why things changed. If you have a general manager and assistant general manager, that's essentially the same as a president and general manager.

Most teams have always used 2 heads. I feel like it cost more money doing it this way because of their titles

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...286830599?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    This is exactly how I view it also.

I don't understand why things changed. If you have a general manager and assistant general manager, that's essentially the same as a president and general manager.

Most teams have always used 2 heads. I feel like it cost more money doing it this way because of their titles
    So that you could hire guys away. It was a title change, nothing more. If a contract says "you can't move latterly" than you have to "move them up". So the GM becomes VP. Bingo. They're still doing the same job.

It was semantics. But it circumvented contractual language.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...588631052?s=19

Iím a big fan of how the DBacks have drafted the last few years. Theyíve built an excellent farm system while being over .500 3 straight years before 2020.

Even if the Cubs canít get one of their assistant GMs, Iíd love to see some trades with Arizona in the next year.

Should just retire...
    I was wondering if they were still testing these guys for PHD, didn't hear anything about it during the season

Cano just forfeited $24m over the 2021 season. If he retires, he then forfeits the $24m he's owed in 2022, 2023, and 2024. He's not going to make a $24m mistake into a $96m hit to his pocket.

What more did Hoyer need to do as GM other than be another intelligent voice that Theo trusted to be doing his job? It'd be pretty overwhelming/terrifying to not have second opinons on... Pretty much any move you make as an MLB executive.

Of course we can't be completely certain what exactly what Hoyer's job looked like as GM, but in my head, he was right there in the room with Theo helping make virtually all decisions. Theo just had the final say.

So that you could hire guys away. It was a title change, nothing more. If a contract says "you can't move latterly" than you have to "move them up". So the GM becomes VP. Bingo. They're still doing the same job.

It was semantics. But it circumvented contractual language.

Fair enough

Cano just forfeited $24m over the 2021 season. If he retires, he then forfeits the $24m he's owed in 2022, 2023, and 2024. He's not going to make a $24m mistake into a $96m hit to his pocket.
    Didn't look at his contract
    Mets screwed themselves here making that trade..
    Guy going to be 39 when he returns next year
    Gonna be one expensive bench player for 2 years

Didn't look at his contract
    Mets screwed themselves here making that trade..
    Guy going to be 39 when he returns next year
    Gonna be one expensive bench player for 2 years

For 3. He's signed through 2024. Thats a truly ugly contract heading forward. For everyone who's hated the Heyward deal; he didn't sign until the age of 42.

For 3. He's signed through 2024. Thats a truly ugly contract heading forward. For everyone who's hated the Heyward deal; he didn't sign until the age of 42.

I don't believe that is true. Pretty sure that he has 3 years remaining inclusive of 2021. Although I did go and confirm, perhaps I am still mistaken.