Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 302 of 314 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302303304312 ... LastLast
Results 4,516 to 4,530 of 4701
    I know Is fake baseball but feels good to have games back . Watching Jays / Yankees.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Ryan was Activated

https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status...859885056?s=19

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status...916331521?s=19

https://twitter.com/maddie_m_lee/sta...068572680?s=19

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

Iíll get a Spring Training Thread up and running before the games start tomorrow

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Iíll get a Spring Training Thread up and running before the games start tomorrow
    Hey maybe Darvish is pitching tomorrow for SD.

I predict Davis will be a decent MLB player, Marquez will be a bust and maybe an ok setup guy, and Amaya will be a meh MLB catcher at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I predict Davis will be a decent MLB player, Marquez will be a bust and maybe an ok setup guy, and Amaya will be a meh MLB catcher at best.
    Lol thatís random and kind of weird.

Very random, but I kind of agree with you. I think there's zero chance of Marquez being an MLB starter.

If Marquez manages to make a living being a MLB setup guy I've got no clue how you'd call him a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    If Marquez manages to make a living being a MLB setup guy I've got no clue how you'd call him a bust.
    Itís always easiest to bet on prospects falling short of expectations, especially if you set expectations high.

Davis has a chance to be a really good player, but itís very hard to be a really good player at the MLB level. If heís a solid starting MLB OF then thatís a good outcome.

I think Marquez is likely destined for the bullpen, but the Cubs seem to think he can start and they know him a lot better than I do. If he does settle in as a reliever I think he can be a very good one.

Amaya probably projects as a solid but unspectacular starting catcher. Iíve become a fan of the idea of extending Contreras for 4-5 years and trying to trade Amaya in a deal like the Gallen for Chisholm deal with a cheap team that needs a long term catcher. Miami or Kansas City come to mind as potential fits.
    Last edited by CP_414; 03-01-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Well it's not exactly something to get excited about. I don't think he's a Josh Hader. He has one good tool, which is a high velocity fastball. I'm not sure how far that takes a player these days. He could be a Craig Kimbrel in his early days, he could be Kyle Farnsworth. I hope he becomes a good MLB starter but that's years away if possible.

Josh Hader wasnít Josh Hader at Marquezís age either. He was a minor league starter with iffy secondaries and some control questions. He was traded twice by Marquezís age.

In his most dominant years he threw his FB 80-85% of the time.

If the bar on Marquez being a bust or not is ďbe a really good starter or be Josh HaderĒ then itís easy to bet on him being a bust, but thereís a lot of positive outcomes that donít fall into those 2 categories.

If Marquez can throw strikes and stay healthy I think itís unlikely heís a bust. 100mph from the left side is hard to hit and a great reliever can throw 1 pitch over and over. Sean Doolittle threw his FB 90% of the time through his peak years. If Marquez canít throw strikes then it probably wonít work out. Thatíll be his biggest challenge.

Burl Carraway is in the same boat, but Carraway has a 0% chance of starting while Marquez has a nonzero % chance of starting.
    Last edited by CP_414; 03-01-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    If the bar on Marquez being a bust or not is ďbe a really good starter or be Josh HaderĒ then itís easy to bet on him being a bust, but thereís a lot of positive outcomes that donít fall into those 2 categories.

If Marquez can throw strikes and stay healthy I think itís unlikely heís a bust. 100mph from the left side is hard to hit and a great reliever can throw 1 pitch over and over. Sean Doolittle threw his FB 90% of the time through his peak years. If Marquez canít throw strikes then it probably wonít work out. Thatíll be his biggest challenge.
    Marquez seems to be ok with throwing strikes, not great but not terrible. I think he'll be ok there eventually.

He can hit 100, but he doesn't sit 98-100. And velocity doesn't tell us how or if his FB moves. Farnsworth threw high 90's gas that was straight as a board, Kerry Wood threw gas that exploded all over the place.

I think Marquez will probably be a poor man's Hader, maybe a Hader if we're lucky. I guess a total bust would be if he isn't a good MLB pitcher at all, but I'm sure he'll probably find success in some role. His makeup seemed pretty terrible in his debut, I'm sure he had lots of jitters but he's also no Mark Prior or Nico Hoerner out there.