Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 301 of 314 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301302303311 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,515 of 4701
    Quote Originally Posted by cubs1423 View Post
    I think they will definitely go with 9 man bullpen before a 5 man bench given the lack of innings last year.
    I was under the impression that teams have to carry 13 pitchers, and 13 position players.

Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    Javy basically saying he doesnít want to play for another team got me thinking about what an extension looks like with him ... BN thinks the bogaerts extension is a parameter . Iíd probably try and stretch it to 7 yrs instead of the 6 bogaerts got to lower the AAV hit.
    7/130 ( includes this season bumping his salary up to 15m from 11.6m. Essentially making it 6/115 w Opt out after 3 years. 18.5 AAV)
    21-15m
    22-19.5m
    23-20.5m
    óopt out (4/75m left so with 3 good years he would probably opt out, age 30, to try and get more years elsewhere)
    24-20m
    25-20m
    26-19m
    27-16m

I donít think I hate it and with a normal javy year, not looking at 2020 as the norm, can probably opt out and get a 5 or 6 year deal somewhere else and by then(2024) hopefully the Cubs will have a SS in waiting.
    I wouldn't go more than 5 years. That said, I think that 5/90 is fair for an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I was under the impression that teams have to carry 13 pitchers, and 13 position players.
    I remember this being proposed last year, but don't remember if it were adopted.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    I remember this being proposed last year, but don't remember if it were adopted.
    I thought it was. That's why teams had to designate whether a guy is a pitcher or a position player. I could certainly be wrong though.

There was no 13/13 rule last year, and there is none this year. The Cubs (or any team) can structure their pitching and position players however they would like.

With that said, it's probably safe to assume a minimum of 13 pitchers the Cubs will carry this year, and I think it's very realistic to believe they could carry 14 with the limited innings everyone has seen.

Bryant traded to Redsox

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...792268295?s=19

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I hate you.

I wish Bryant success as a Red Sock.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    There was no 13/13 rule last year, and there is none this year. The Cubs (or any team) can structure their pitching and position players however they would like.

With that said, it's probably safe to assume a minimum of 13 pitchers the Cubs will carry this year, and I think it's very realistic to believe they could carry 14 with the limited innings everyone has seen.
    Thanks, teach!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I hate you. [emoji14]

I wish Bryant success as a Red Sock.
    [emoji28]

If Baez hits the open market Iíll be really interested to see what he signs for (assuming his 2021 numbers rebound close to where they were in 2019).

He should continue to be a quality defensive shortstop for the next few years. But that o-swing percentage is bad as you will ever see from a big name hitter. Assuming he continues to chase at a horrible rate I canít imagine a single GM projecting Baez to be a competent hitter beyond his early 30s.

4/72, with the ability to opt out after years two and three.

Quote Originally Posted by Prior22 View Post
    If Baez hits the open market Iíll be really interested to see what he signs for (assuming his 2021 numbers rebound close to where they were in 2019).

He should continue to be a quality defensive shortstop for the next few years. But that o-swing percentage is bad as you will ever see from a big name hitter. Assuming he continues to chase at a horrible rate I canít imagine a single GM projecting Baez to be a competent hitter beyond his early 30s.

Also has one of the lowest O-contact % in the MLB.

Like most players he'll probably be good until age 32 then start slipping.

I was thinking too, a 4-5 year deal with mutual options

Thinking if it came to it, Javy could slide over to 2B when one of the young SS ready to take over in a couple seasons

I had originally mentioned 5/90. I've since reconsidered about the length. I think 4 years is the longest I'd give him. I think that your number may be spot on.

I was thinking. Javi is a fantastic athlete playing SS. If a guy can be great at SS, he'll likely be able to be at the very least, very good at another position. Why can't a Javi slide out to RF when JHey is gone? Other than 1B, a COF spot is the easiest spot to play.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I was thinking. Javi is a fantastic athlete playing SS. If a guy can be great at SS, he'll likely be able to be at the very least, very good at another position. Why can't a Javi slide out to RF when JHey is gone? Other than 1B, a COF spot is the easiest spot to play.
    Javier Baez averaged a 96 wRC+ between 2015 and 2018. In 2018 he had a 131. Since then, he's once again averaged a 97 wRC+ (and yes, this number is effected by a really terrible 2020, but he had a 96 wRC+ in the 2nd half of 2019, which again, is right next to his overal numbers. 2020 just smooths out a strong start that didnt last). The issue with Baez is he hasn't been a good hitter most of his career. He's one 1 amazing year, and then started off 2019 really but that it. His offensive profile of "hit bad pitches" (as in bad pitches off the plate, not bad pitches in the zone) isn't one that has any history of lasting as a good offensive profile. He relies heavily on bat speed, something we know is among the first to decline.

Baez's issues are far more than "Well when he's not a great SS what do we do?". He's already around a league average hitter. When his defense goes south in the INF and even if we can just plunk him in RF, he's already been, essentially, a league average hitter in his youth outside of one big season. We can assume that his bat speed will decline in step with his defense, and he has a horribad plate approach. As he ages, his offensive profile is only likely to get worse.

He would a bad COF even if he's fine defensively. Baez shouldn't get an extension. It's almost assuredly a major mistake. Baez screams "I'm not going to last". We cannot cling to 2018 Baez. I like the guy as a guy. As a baseball player he should play 2021 here and then sadly, go elsewhere. He's not the best bet for the Cubs long term.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-28-2021 at 10:58 AM.