Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 285 of 314 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,275 of 4701
  1. #4261
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    5,834
    Name another major market team going through their 2nd 3-4 year tank job in the last decade and we can cut the Ricketts some slack. Also, can we not act like it's "not in the cards" for the Ricketts to spend more money or that they don't have unlimited funds. They are billionaires who have already made ridiculous profits off this team. Covid didn't destroy them. Their net worth actually increased. They absolutely could have spent more money the last three years to compliment this team and push them over the top. They absolutely could spend more now to get better prospects, or better trade chips. They choose not to.

  2. #4262
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Name another major market team going through their 2nd 3-4 year tank job in the last decade and we can cut the Ricketts some slack. Also, can we not act like it's "not in the cards" for the Ricketts to spend more money or that they don't have unlimited funds. They are billionaires who have already made ridiculous profits off this team. Covid didn't destroy them. Their net worth actually increased. They absolutely could have spent more money the last three years to compliment this team and push them over the top. They absolutely could spend more now to get better prospects, or better trade chips. They choose not to.
    The Mets? Philly? San Francisco? The Angels (I mean, they aren't tanking, but they should). They literally have spent money the last 3 years, they just invested in gambles that didn't pay off.

    Again, I'm right with you, I'd love for this team to have unlimited funds. They just don't (like basically everyone that's not NY or the Dodgers).
    Ü

    "But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

    - Romans 8:25

  3. #4263
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    And what exactly is constantly complaining that our ownership group isn't LA going to accomplish? Post after Post? It's not like the Ricketts are the worst owners in baseball. Unfortunately, they just don't have unlimited funds. So why keep complaining about it ... constantly?



    See above. I read this board every day, and like 80% of the free agent posts are largely you and CP complaining about not having the Yankees or LA's ownership group, and I agree, it would be great, but that's not in the cards, and there's nothing online posting, day after day, post after post, about it on a message board will do about changing things. It's not like they're miraculously going to sell (and again ... there are far worse owners). I almost have to just limit myself to reading the prospects thread just to read something positive being said.
    I give my honest opinion. I see an issue, I post about it. I've been among the most positive person in years past, both on the minor league front, and have been among the most positive during 2017-2020 when others could not have been more negative. It isn't like I'm a consistently negative Nancy. I'm pissed at the offseason at hand. Everyone should be. If you don't like that, I frankly couldn't care less.

    And before you ask me what complaining accomplishes, ask yourself what "complaining about me complaining" accomplishes? Because it comes off pretty hypocritical. You know those who live in glass homes...



    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  4. #4264
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    803
    Btw, people are complaining over on the Yankees forum about Yankee ownership too. I imagine that's happening on every team's forum (except for the Dodgers and Padres maybe) this year. All those billionaires aren't paying enough to all those multimillionares, I guess.

  5. #4265
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    And before you ask me what complaining accomplishes, ask yourself what "complaining about me complaining" accomplishes? Because it comes off pretty hypocritical. You know those who live in glass homes...



    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Sure, it's hypocritical, but my post is what 1 or 2, vs your mass quantity? And if I can get you to think about it for a second and to reconsider, then it's already a massive net positive.
    Ü

    "But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

    - Romans 8:25

  6. #4266
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    Btw, people are complaining over on the Yankees forum about Yankee ownership too. I imagine that's happening on every team's forum (except for the Dodgers and Padres maybe) this year. All those billionaires aren't paying enough to all those multimillionares, I guess.
    As should fans be doing. Every team not acting like an MLB team right now should be ****ing livid.

    Let's put it this way; every team in the MLB could have had Arenado. It was only money. Only 1 team tried for him.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  7. #4267
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Sure, it's hypocritical, but my post is what 1 or 2, vs your mass quantity? And if I can get you to think about it for a second and to reconsider, then it's already a massive net positive.
    You've made me reconsider literally nothing. I will not change what I feel about this offseason or how I post for you.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  8. #4268
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    You've made me reconsider literally nothing. I will not change what I feel about this offseason or how I post for you.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Great, ditto. I will continue to sperg constantly.
    Ü

    "But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

    - Romans 8:25

  9. #4269
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Great, ditto. I will continue to sperg constantly.
    All good my friend.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  10. #4270
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    7,624
    https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/...592289794?s=19

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  11. #4271
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    I think we mostly paid for nostalgia. Don't underestimate the amount of casual fans who think the Cubs just signed an ace.
    It's totally possible that the Arrieta and Joc signings were made for PR reasons because us fans were rightfully coming down hard on Ricketts, and so Ricketts increased payroll.

    All I care about is winning. I'm a team player, everything should be in service of the team. No single player on the field has any importance other than if they make the team more likely to win or not. 100% of decisions by the front office and the manager should be to help the team win more games. I definitely don't care about Arrieta being a Cubs again other than if he makes the Cubs better.

  12. #4272
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    As should fans be doing. Every team not acting like an MLB team right now should be ****ing livid.

    Let's put it this way; every team in the MLB could have had Arenado. It was only money. Only 1 team tried for him.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    There were no fans in the stands last year, and there's going to be less this year at least partway through the year. So it makes sense for payrolls to be slashed across the league. The problem is we don't really know what the books look like. We can only judge based on how the Cubs are behaving compared to other teams. It doesn't surprise me at all that teams don't want to take on Arenado's salary.

    These teams are businesses. The priority of the owners isn't to win it's to make money. I'm glad Cubs fans spoke up because maybe this was a reason why Ricketts opened the wallet up a a bit recently.

  13. #4273
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    There were no fans in the stands last year, and there's going to be less this year at least partway through the year. So it makes sense for payrolls to be slashed across the league. The problem is we don't really know what the books look like. We can only judge based on how the Cubs are behaving compared to other teams. It doesn't surprise me at all that teams don't want to take on Arenado's salary.

    These teams are businesses. The priority of the owners isn't to win it's to make money. I'm glad Cubs fans spoke up because maybe this was a reason why Ricketts opened the wallet up a a bit recently.
    "I always assumed baseball teams just print money for owners. Nothing in my experience in an MLB front office has changed that". Kevin Goldstein, former Astros exec, current Fangraphs writer.

    That's the answer. That's all you need to know. I do not give a **** no one was in the stands. Owners print money year to year. 2020 was the first hard year these owners have ever seen. The argument is "owners take all the risk". If they print money year to year, then 2020 is the first year they have experienced any hardship. They raise prices on tickets yearly, they create new revenue streams by adding advertisements, they build TV stations, they create self imposed spending limits (and convince fans they matter) and they sell lies about how their revenue streams are different than their purchasing of land around stadiums. Yet, the first year they get a hit in the wallet, it's boo-hoo time? The first actual risk they've taken? Yeah, I'll pass on giving them a pass.

    Teams may be businesses, but I'm not a stock holder. Their profit line means nothing to me. Especially considering their unwillingness to prove or disprove how much money they print year to year. I will cry no tears for poor Tom today, nor when the Ricketts family eventually sells the Cubs for literal billions. I assure you, the $40m or so hit they took in 2020 will be but a glimmer in the books eyes. Craig Edwards wrote a wonderful article on how the sentiment that Ricketts and DeWitt have said about how the teams have little liquid profit is true; yet also still print money for the owners that I'd recommend reading. Essentially, through accounting and purchasing land, owners can claim to make little profit from the MLB team in cash (and not lying) while also creating monster revenue streams for themselves. The business of owning an MLB team is fool proof. Nothing is more obvious than watching Frank McCourt be broke and then sell the Dodgers for billions of dollars. I can't think of many situations in which a human being went from bankrupt to billionaire that easily.

    The Ricketts should also get zero credit for "opening up the wallet a bit" recently. They have done so 3 weeks before the season started, not improving the team over the course of the offseason, buying old fan-favorites to sell nostalgia and Joc Pederson, a deferred contract that will be dealt mid-year in almost all likelihood. The Cubs have faked spending by "adding" MLB players in the last 3 weeks, none of them truly fixing any holes or moving the needle with anything impactful. Tom should have opened the wallet in November and bought a division (the way the Cardinals have essentially done with one trade). It's frustrating as hell to watch the Cubs pretend in the last minute to care. It's like a kid who has an F, turn in a few missing assignments on the last day of the quarter. The work is half done. Then he sits there and asks if he got an A. It's a half-assed effort to get fan sentiment to swing. No one should give him a pass.

    When the Cubs are serious about putting a winning team on Wrigley Field again, I'll be done *****ing at Tom Ricketts. As a Cubs fan, it shouldn't be this way. The minor league system should almost never be more interesting than the MLB team. And never because we made it that way, instead of making the MLB team more interesting when all that needed to be spent was money.

    I know you aren't necessarily defending them, but when we give them the excuse of "no fans were in the stands" they get an excuse they don't deserve. Again, especially without opening up books to prove it. If they want anyone to care about their losses in 2020, they should be showing how much they have made, both in liquid cash and revenues stemming from owning a baseball team in all previous years. Until that moment (which is never), I will not bestow an excuse of "no fans were in the stands".
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-16-2021 at 12:50 AM.

  14. #4274
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3,739
    **** the Ricketts for being cheap *** owners. We arenít built to be ran like the Aís or Rays. Our team has been built to spend money to make it better. We are a large market team acting like a small market team.

    NYM are spending money and making moves. The NYY just gave Cole a MASSIVE deal last year and are a much better team than we are. The Dodgers continue to be the dream organization. The Angels paid up for Trout and went and got Rendon. The Padres arenít even a large market team, but they continue to act like one. But we are okay with doing absolutely freaking nothing?

    We donít hoard prospects. We rebuilt, got a core of players to win with, and fixed the other holes via trades and free agency. Now weíve gone like 3 years without doing **** to make our team better when there are glaring holes. Weíve done a whole lot of nothing that just looks like something this offseason.

    How anybody can sit here and say they are okay with whatís happening is a freaking joke. The Ricketts family are BILLIONAIRES!!!! But here we are crying broke for the 3rd straight year. Oh wait, Tom found a few mil laying around after he signed off on trading our ace, but he goes and signs Joc Pederson who basically provides the same value as Schwarber and Jake Arrieta, who we all love, but doesnít move the needle. The average fan will say ďoooo Joc Pederson and Arrietta!! Thatís awesome.Ē But they arenít fooling us that know better.

    So yeah, Iíll join 1908 and CP and continuously voice my opinion on this every chance I get. Itís the Ricketts fault that I donít give a damn that spring training starts this week. And thatís hard for me to say as a diehard baseball fan and Cubs fan. I just canít accept them not doing a damn thing to make us better for 3 years in the middle of our window.

  15. #4275
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    5,834
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    "I always assumed baseball teams just print money for owners. Nothing in my experience in an MLB front office has changed that". Kevin Goldstein, former Astros exec, current Fangraphs writer.

    That's the answer. That's all you need to know. I do not give a **** no one was in the stands. Owners print money year to year. 2020 was the first hard year these owners have ever seen. The argument is "owners take all the risk". If they print money year to year, then 2020 is the first year they have experienced any hardship. They raise prices on tickets yearly, they create new revenue streams by adding advertisements, they build TV stations, they create self imposed spending limits (and convince fans they matter) and they sell lies about how their revenue streams are different than their purchasing of land around stadiums. Yet, the first year they get a hit in the wallet, it's boo-hoo time? The first actual risk they've taken? Yeah, I'll pass on giving them a pass.

    Teams may be businesses, but I'm not a stock holder. Their profit line means nothing to me. Especially considering their unwillingness to prove or disprove how much money they print year to year. I will cry no tears for poor Tom today, nor when the Ricketts family eventually sells the Cubs for literal billions. I assure you, the $40m or so hit they took in 2020 will be but a glimmer in the books eyes. Craig Edwards wrote a wonderful article on how the sentiment that Ricketts and DeWitt have said about how the teams have little liquid profit is true; yet also still print money for the owners that I'd recommend reading. Essentially, through accounting and purchasing land, owners can claim to make little profit from the MLB team in cash (and not lying) while also creating monster revenue streams for themselves. The business of owning an MLB team is fool proof. Nothing is more obvious than watching Frank McCourt be broke and then sell the Dodgers for billions of dollars. I can't think of many situations in which a human being went from bankrupt to billionaire that easily.

    The Ricketts should also get zero credit for "opening up the wallet a bit" recently. They have done so 3 weeks before the season started, not improving the team over the course of the offseason, buying old fan-favorites to sell nostalgia and Joc Pederson, a deferred contract that will be dealt mid-year in almost all likelihood. The Cubs have faked spending by "adding" MLB players in the last 3 weeks, none of them truly fixing any holes or moving the needle with anything impactful. Tom should have opened the wallet in November and bought a division (the way the Cardinals have essentially done with one trade). It's frustrating as hell to watch the Cubs pretend in the last minute to care. It's like a kid who has an F, turn in a few missing assignments on the last day of the quarter. The work is half done. Then he sits there and asks if he got an A. It's a half-assed effort to get fan sentiment to swing. No one should give him a pass.

    When the Cubs are serious about putting a winning team on Wrigley Field again, I'll be done *****ing at Tom Ricketts. As a Cubs fan, it shouldn't be this way. The minor league system should almost never be more interesting than the MLB team. And never because we made it that way, instead of making the MLB team more interesting when all that needed to be spent was money.

    I know you aren't necessarily defending them, but when we give them the excuse of "no fans were in the stands" they get an excuse they don't deserve. Again, especially without opening up books to prove it. If they want anyone to care about their losses in 2020, they should be showing how much they have made, both in liquid cash and revenues stemming from owning a baseball team in all previous years. Until that moment (which is never), I will not bestow an excuse of "no fans were in the stands".
    All of this.


    Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    **** the Ricketts for being cheap *** owners. We arenít built to be ran like the Aís or Rays. Our team has been built to spend money to make it better. We are a large market team acting like a small market team.

    NYM are spending money and making moves. The NYY just gave Cole a MASSIVE deal last year and are a much better team than we are. The Dodgers continue to be the dream organization. The Angels paid up for Trout and went and got Rendon. The Padres arenít even a large market team, but they continue to act like one. But we are okay with doing absolutely freaking nothing?

    We donít hoard prospects. We rebuilt, got a core of players to win with, and fixed the other holes via trades and free agency. Now weíve gone like 3 years without doing **** to make our team better when there are glaring holes. Weíve done a whole lot of nothing that just looks like something this offseason.

    How anybody can sit here and say they are okay with whatís happening is a freaking joke. The Ricketts family are BILLIONAIRES!!!! But here we are crying broke for the 3rd straight year. Oh wait, Tom found a few mil laying around after he signed off on trading our ace, but he goes and signs Joc Pederson who basically provides the same value as Schwarber and Jake Arrieta, who we all love, but doesnít move the needle. The average fan will say ďoooo Joc Pederson and Arrietta!! Thatís awesome.Ē But they arenít fooling us that know better.

    So yeah, Iíll join 1908 and CP and continuously voice my opinion on this every chance I get. Itís the Ricketts fault that I donít give a damn that spring training starts this week. And thatís hard for me to say as a diehard baseball fan and Cubs fan. I just canít accept them not doing a damn thing to make us better for 3 years in the middle of our window.
    And this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •