Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 269 of 314 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,035 of 4701
  1. #4021
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    I thought the Dodgers (Friedman) was smart. THAT contract for a good but not great pitcher (career 3.90/fip3.85 era)? 2020 is the epitome of small sample size theatre and the Dodgers are giving Bauer elite SP money for that? Damn, the Dodgers are dumb.
    Hes added the 6th most fWAR the last 3 years. 9th most the last 4. Its not a bad contract. It's not that small of a sample size. That's over 100+ starts of data.

    Secondly they paid a lot per the first 2 years but they didn't get stuck with a SP longterm. Even if he gets hurt, it's 2, maybe 3 years (if he gets hurt year 2 you get him on $17m for a third year potentially). Or if Mr. Bauer wears his welcome thin in the locker room. No long term commitment, didn't pay a single prospect (only money) and they signed a guy who is probably a top-15 SP both years if healthy.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-05-2021 at 07:28 PM.

  2. #4022
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Hes added the 6th most fWAR the last 3 years. 9th most the last 4. Its not a bad contract. It's not that small of a sample size. That's over 100+ starts of data.

    Secondly they paid a lot per the first 2 years but they didn't get stuck with a SP longterm. Even if he gets hurt, it's 2, maybe 3 years (if he gets hurt year 2 you get him on $17m for a third year potentially). Or if Mr. Bauer wears his welcome thin in the locker room. No long term commitment, didn't pay a single prospect (only money) and they signed a guy who is probably a top-15 SP both years if healthy.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Yep. It's just short term money for a franchise who has no problem spending the next couple years. I'd be ecstatic if I'm a Dodger fan. Maybe he inexplicably falls apart, or gets injured. There's still no long term repercussions. Not really seeing a downside. Any big market franchise should be happy to take a risk like this.

  3. #4023
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    12,718

    2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cubs1423 View Post
    right, perhaps I was unclear. I understand what a mutual option is, just not sure how the actual buyout works. Are the Cubs on the hook for the buyout in 2022 if Joc doesn't exercise his portion of the mutual option? Maybe you answered that question and I just missed it again lol
    Yes they would be.

    If either side declines their half of the option the Cubs pay the buyout.

    Heís guaranteed at least $7 million. The Cubs just negotiated in a mutual option to defer $2.5 million of the guarantee to 2022.

  4. #4024
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Yep. It's just short term money for a franchise who has no problem spending the next couple years. I'd be ecstatic if I'm a Dodger fan. Maybe he inexplicably falls apart, or gets injured. There's still no long term repercussions. Not really seeing a downside. Any big market franchise should be happy to take a risk like this.
    Yep. Its as small of a risk as a team can make on a $100m+ contract. Its weird to say that, but it's true. They can get out with no long term commitment, they're in win now. Hes never been an injury issue. He's got great stuff. I agree, there's little downside. Even if he tanks, it's unforseen and short term still.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  5. #4025
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Yes they would be.

    If either side declines their half of the option the Cubs pay the buyout.

    Heís guaranteed at least $7 million. The Cubs just negotiated in a mutual option to defer $2.5 million of the guarantee to 2022.
    Thanks, makes sense! Is this always the case with mutual options? I was under the assumption that some operated the way you described and others conditioned the buyout on the players exercising of the option.

    Regardless, appreciate the help and seems like a deal the Cubs should be very pleased with. I think it is evident that for a "money-starved" team, the Cubs did very nice swapping Schwarber for Joc.

  6. #4026
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    812
    What the Dodgers did with Bauer's contract with respect to the luxury tax was very nice. Surprised more teams aren't tacking on more years at low dollar values with player opt outs later in the contract to lower the average. I know if it is too egregious, the league will step in but I imagine this strategy is going to be employed a lot more often for some of the bigger market teams.

  7. #4027
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,219
    Seriously great deal for the dodgers. Thatís how a major market club acts. Iím jealous.

  8. #4028
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    Seriously great deal for the dodgers. Thatís how a major market club acts. Iím jealous.
    I'm jealous of them wielding their financial might and significantly improving their team but certainly not jealous of having to root for Bauer.

  9. #4029
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    812
    sorry to spam the board, but interesting that there hasn't been word yet of Happ's arb hearing. Thought they were all today.

  10. #4030
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    14,604

    2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cubs1423 View Post
    sorry to spam the board, but interesting that there hasn't been word yet of Happ's arb hearing. Thought they were all today.
    There will be hearings until the 19 of this month . We probably wonít know when is the hearing until itís decided.


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dfan25; 02-05-2021 at 08:38 PM.

  11. #4031
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    12,718
    Quote Originally Posted by cubs1423 View Post
    Thanks, makes sense! Is this always the case with mutual options? I was under the assumption that some operated the way you described and others conditioned the buyout on the players exercising of the option.

    Regardless, appreciate the help and seems like a deal the Cubs should be very pleased with. I think it is evident that for a "money-starved" team, the Cubs did very nice swapping Schwarber for Joc.
    Iím not really sure. I think most if not all work like this where itís just put in to defer some money for a year. There might be some cases like that though where the conditions are a little different.

  12. #4032
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,219
    Ozuna back to the braves.

  13. #4033
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    7,619
    https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/...483982341?s=19

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  14. #4034
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A city in the United States.
    Posts
    5,754
    I still think it was a stupid deal by the Dodgers but at least it's not long term.
    Screw sabermetics.

  15. #4035
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    797
    IIRC, cubs have discarded 4 of their 2020 OFers( Schwabs, Almora, Souza,and Maybin) and have signed 1, Peterson to go with Hayward and Happ. If season was starting tomorrow, who would be their 4 and 5th outfielders?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •