Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 252 of 314 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262302 ... LastLast
Results 3,766 to 3,780 of 4701
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    In what way? That he's a LH hitter and hits homeruns? Sure. But Joc Pederson isn't rookie Joc Pederson any more and he does not strike out nearly as much. He is actually below average in K%.
    Lol. Look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyton View Post
    Lol. Look it up.
    *I'm going to use 2017 as the barometer here because there was a legit change in Pederson's game that's more reflective of what we have got today than previous versions*
    Joc Pederson K% between 2017 and 2020: 21%
    Kyle Schwarber K% between 2017 and 2020: 28%
    League Average K% between 2017 and 2020: ~22.5%

Pederson strikes out less than league average. Schwarber strikes out well above league average.

Are they somewhat similar players? Sure. They have career wRC+'s against RHP nearly identical to each other, so against RHP they're very similar. They're both LHH. They both hit home runs. They both play LF. But they get to the end game differently (Pederson strikes out well less but seems to have a little less success when the ball goes into the field of play as he has a lower BABIP), Pederson is far worse against LHP than Schwarber (Schwarber's no all-star but Pederson is historically bad), and Pederson may have a little extra to add in the field (though I wonder about his footspeed slowing down). But it's pretty wrong to call them identical, it's a very simplified answer based on "they both play the same position, are left handed and hit home runs"

Joc is fine. Ideally the Cubs pull off 5 or 6 of these 1 year, could play well and get flipped for a lottery ticket moves. I'll cut them a tiny bit of slack if they'll spend money in that fashion.

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...128756737?s=19

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Ideally, I prefer Schwarbs over Joc but for a secondary plans, there are worse ideas than Joc.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/s...128756737?s=19

That's a gamble I'd take.
    Screw sabermetics.

I wouldn't hate Williams, Folty, or Rodon for dumpster dives
    Trade Contreras
    Sign Wong
    Last edited by ILMindState; 01-29-2021 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    That's a gamble I'd take.
    I think they're all pretty much gambles now..

What do they realistically have going now

Hendricks Davies Mills Alzolay and a bunch of gambles to fill out 5 thru 8(depth) in the rotation

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    I wouldn't hate Williams, Folty, or Rodon for dumpster dives
    It depends on what you expect. Rodon should be targeted for a reliever role, not a SP. He just isn't a SP, he isn't durable enough. His slider is really good, and his fastball good enough. Throw him in the pen, make him a middle reliever, and I think you find something.

Mike Foltynewicz is someone who has skated by on a single good year. It was a really good year, but that's it. It was 2018. I think when people see the name, they remember that season. Since then, he's kind of fallen apart. He got hurt, he had an elbow injury, and the last time he took a mound, his FB was 4mph slower. Unless he's recaptured that velocity, he's probably done. I think he's interesting on name alone.

Trevor Williams is the "best bet" for innings. I don't hate him. He's been a decent 2 win pitcher in the past, he's not coming off an injury, we're not seeing major diminished velocity...but his last 38 starts have been really bad. He's actually got a longer track record of being "decently good" than Folty, which I think would probably surprise many. I think you could capture something there with some pitch mix changes and what not. So he remains my favorite; he can take some innings and if you can figure him out, you got something. Reminds me a bit of Scott Feldman; has a lot of different pitches that are all "fine". Nothing is particularly good. Maybe you get him to pitch really well for 1/2 a season and someone gives you a lottery ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I think they're all pretty much gambles now..

What do they realistically have going now

Hendricks Davies Mills Alzolay and a bunch of gambles to fill out 5 thru 8(depth) in the rotation

Of course they are all gambles but some are worth the gamble, ie Folty, imo.
    Screw sabermetics.

$7M + an option for Joc Pederson?

Please Ricketts family, can you remember that you are supposed to be poor?

CJ

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/s...817859075?s=19

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/...527160324?s=19

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status...110707713?s=21

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Wouldn’t Rosario at 8 mil been a better play than Joc at 7? I know they deferred some money on Joc and maybe we couldn’t have done that with Rosario. I mean there isn’t much difference, but Rosario looks like the better player after a quick glance at the numbers.