Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 243 of 314 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253293 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,645 of 4701
  1. #3631
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10,016
    Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Not only that but don't they all decide who gets to be an owner or not? Remember when Cuban was looking at trying to buy the Cubs and that got shot down real quick.
    Yep!! His type is not welcome in their fraternity. You know...the type will to spend money to win. The type of guy that treats his players right, and takes care of their needs both professionally and personally. We'll have none of that, mister!!!

  2. #3632
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    5,831
    In the end baseball is a business and for the most part players are going to go where the money is. But the Ricketts are earning a reputation that may negatively effect them down the line. If you're treating a guy like Jon Lester this way then every future FA should expect the exact same.

  3. #3633
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,491
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/...169250819?s=19

    If the Cubs were just loaded with talent and arms, I'd have understood this. If the Cubs were truly aiming to be competitive (being competitive and competitive in the NL central are very different) I would have understood this. That the Cubs have made it clear with their offseason that they neither give a **** about the on field team, and are packed with fun players like the corpse of Shelby Miller, this is infuriating.

    Suck if you're going to suck. But man, let Jon win 200 here if that's what he wants to do and you're going to suck.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Shocking but not quite shocked. There could be something in this as the reason why Theo left a year early than his contract, if he knew this was about to happen to Jon. Not wanting to be the ******* and who would blame him anyway? Theo and Jonís working relationship started years before anyone knew the name Ricketts. In the end Jon is a person who put his heart and soul into playing for this team that ended up winning these owners a World Series and to be treated like that? Itís disgusting.
    Last edited by JHBulls; 01-27-2021 at 07:52 PM.

  4. #3634
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,717
    Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Shocking but not quite shocked. There could be something in this as the reason why Theo left a year early than his contract, if he knew this was about to happen to Jon. Not wanting to be the ******* and who would blame him anyway? Theo and Jonís working relationship started years before anyone knew the name Ricketts. In the end Jon is a person who put his heart and soul into playing for this team that ended up winning these owners a World Series and to be treated like that? Itís disgusting.
    I doubt Theo rolled because of Jon. But I do think it's clear why he left; he knew the "budget" (I struggle to call this a budget) and knew he wouldn't be here beyond one year. Knowing that, and being friends with Jed, he turned the keys over so that it could be Jed's rebuild and not Theo's rebuild and then Jed's after.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  5. #3635
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    7,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    In the end baseball is a business and for the most part players are going to go where the money is. But the Ricketts are earning a reputation that may negatively effect them down the line. If you're treating a guy like Jon Lester this way then every future FA should expect the exact same.
    We say this about a teams/owners in every sport just about every year, bottom line players will go where the money is for the most part.

    I want to see what they do next offseason, if they continue on this path or if they start putting together a legit team

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  6. #3636
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3,738
    I wish we had a new owner. It sucks we are stuck with the Ricketts.

  7. #3637
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,491
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I doubt Theo rolled because of Jon. But I do think it's clear why he left; he knew the "budget" (I struggle to call this a budget) and knew he wouldn't be here beyond one year. Knowing that, and being friends with Jed, he turned the keys over so that it could be Jed's rebuild and not Theo's rebuild and then Jed's after.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Yeah, good explanation and it makes more sense. This all just sucks so much. It will be good to put my focus into the farm system, though.

  8. #3638
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    I wish we had a new owner. It sucks we are stuck with the Ricketts.
    Yeah, it's too bad our owner is acting like the vast majority of all the other owners.
    Ü

    "But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

    - Romans 8:25

  9. #3639
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    If they don't trade anyone else away and depending on where they want to start Hoerner, their needs now are possibly a 2Bmen, a LFer, and a SP

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Hoerner is dirt cheap and Bote can play 2B, so they aren't likely to acquire any 2B that isn't a dumpster dive IMO.

    Hoerner should be getting regular AB's in AAA to work on his approach so he can play everyday IMO...if the Cubs were interested in winning > money that is.

  10. #3640
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    WTF that is disrespectful
    I think it just means they don't want to pay anyone 5 mil, deferred or not. I wouldn't say disrespectful, just cheap.

  11. #3641
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,348
    I wonder why Lester turned down the Cubs offer if he wanted to stay here. Or maybe Jesse is making that up?

  12. #3642
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,717
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    I wonder why Lester turned down the Cubs offer if he wanted to stay here. Or maybe Jesse is making that up?
    It's already been said why by Jon. He was already too deep into talks with the Nationals when the Cubs offered him whatever it is they did. It also seems by reports prior that it was a really, really low offer.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  13. #3643
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    812
    Mets nearing a trade involving Matz apparently. Could be getting ready to sign Bauer. Just saying, Matz would make sense as a one-year salary mitigator in a Bryant trade as well given how thin the Cubs rotation is. Doubt that is what's going on, both because of the wording of the tweet and because there is really nothing suggesting anything bigger than Matz but worth monitoring.

    Edit: the tweet - https://twitter.com/mikemayerMMO/sta...284113925?s=19

  14. #3644
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    It's already been said why by Jon. He was already too deep into talks with the Nationals when the Cubs offered him whatever it is they did. It also seems by reports prior that it was a really, really low offer.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Must have been the money then, because players/coaches pull out of negotiations whenever they feel like it on the reg. It must have been a mad low and disrespectful offer and kinda lousy of Ricketts to not give him more. But Jon saying he wanted to be back here seems like a bullcrap lie to me.

  15. #3645
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,717
    Quote Originally Posted by cubs1423 View Post
    Mets nearing a trade involving Matz apparently. Could be getting ready to sign Bauer. Just saying, Matz would make sense as a one-year salary mitigator in a Bryant trade as well given how thin the Cubs rotation is. Doubt that is what's going on, both because of the wording of the tweet and because there is really nothing suggesting anything bigger than Matz but worth monitoring.

    Edit: the tweet - https://twitter.com/mikemayerMMO/sta...284113925?s=19
    Does he? Hes 29. He's been hardly a 1 fWAR most seasons in his career. Bad peripherals. He only makes sense in that he's a SP and the Cubs could use em, I guess. But outside of that, if they're going to take on Matz, they could just eat the money (which they reportedly won't do).

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •