Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 242 of 314 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292 ... LastLast
Results 3,616 to 3,630 of 4701
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Well, Romine actually got a larger contract from the Cubs when you add in the bonuses. Romine is $1.5m with two $500K escalators (for games played and games started).
    The Ricketts family are about to turn into a modern day Charles Comiskey.

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Hey Kolten, we canít afford to pay you any money. But what we can guarantee is itís way less boring here than in St. Louis.
    Lol I can see it now:

Cubs sign Wong for $12 mil. They pay him $1 mil in actual salary and then give him the Bobby Bonilla treatment and pay him $1 mil in deferred money until 2032

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    If we couldnít spend an extra million to get Ramos over Romine (Romine makes Ramos look like an all star), thereís NO way we are getting Wong. Canít believe we are even kicking the tires to be honest.
    It could very well be that they've decided not to compete at all. Why win 80 games if they could win 70 games? For about the same money, they could have chosen the lesser of a player for that very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    It could very well be that they've decided not to compete at all. Why win 80 games if they could win 70 games? For about the same money, they could have chosen the lesser of a player for that very reason.
    As explained above, they didn't pay less (actually more, more than likely). I also don't think he's any worse of a player.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Lol I can see it now:

Cubs sign Wong for $12 mil. They pay him $1 mil in actual salary and then give him the Bobby Bonilla treatment and pay him $1 mil in deferred money until 2032

Oh for sure. The Ricketts have become the cheapest billionaire sports owners in the world.

Which leads me to wondering what it would be like if a billionaire Saudi tycoon, the ones who usually own football (soccer) clubs, would decide to own a Baseball club. It would never happen but funny to think about. Can you imagine a Baseball payroll being run up to $500M?

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Oh for sure. The Ricketts have become the cheapest billionaire sports owners in the world.

Which leads me to wondering what it would be like if a billionaire Saudi tycoon, the ones who usually own football (soccer) clubs, would decide to own a Baseball club. It would never happen but funny to think about. Can you imagine a Baseball payroll being run up to $500M?
    It could get worse. Nutting, the Pirates owner is worth $1.3b. The Pirates currently have $3m on the books for 2022 of guaranteed money. That is in the form of an option decline for Polanco. Thats it. Nothing else confirmed or guaranteed. An entire MLB franchise with $3m of guaranteed money. And its not like 1934.

(Obviously many players will be tendered contracts, or will be arb eligible, but the point is they have zero commitments and have made damn sure of that. They have no contractual obligations to anyone for any significant amount of money heading into next year)

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-27-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Even more pathetic: Austin Romine's $1.5 contract is nearly 50% of all of the NL Central's spending.

It could get worse. Nutting, the Pirates owner is worth $1.3b. The Pirates currently have $3m on the books for 2022 of guaranteed money. That is in the form of an option decline for Polanco. Thats it. Nothing else confirmed or guaranteed. An entire MLB franchise with $3m of guaranteed money. And its not like 1934.

(Obviously many players will be tendered contracts, or will be arb eligible, but the point is they have zero commitments and have made damn sure of that. They have no contractual obligations to anyone for any significant amount of money heading into next year)

Yeah, that is pretty bad. Sadly at some stage throughout an owners tenure, they just stop spending money. This is what this club is experiencing right now. We never thought this club would be going through a second rebuild so soon after the first one.

Yeah, that is pretty bad. Sadly at some stage throughout an owners tenure, they just stop spending money. This is what this club is experiencing right now. We never thought this club would be going through a second rebuild so soon after the first one.
    I'd be complaining less if they'd actually been willing to spend to fix the clear flaws the last couple years. If you're going to do another complete teardown/rebuild there was absolutely no excuse to not maximize your chances in the original window.

That would be great! But the owners are a fraternity that's decided that they are going to limit their spending in unison. It's perfect for them. "I would love to spend more, but I'll get penalized if I do." Yeah right!!

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/...169250819?s=19

If the Cubs were just loaded with talent and arms, I'd have understood this. If the Cubs were truly aiming to be competitive (being competitive and competitive in the NL central are very different) I would have understood this. That the Cubs have made it clear with their offseason that they neither give a **** about the on field team, and are packed with fun players like the corpse of Shelby Miller, this is infuriating.

Suck if you're going to suck. But man, let Jon win 200 here if that's what he wants to do and you're going to suck.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-27-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Damn. Thatís just shady Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    That would be great! But the owners are a fraternity that's decided that they are going to limit their spending in unison. It's perfect for them. "I would love to spend more, but I'll get penalized if I do." Yeah right!!
    Not only that but don't they all decide who gets to be an owner or not? Remember when Cuban was looking at trying to buy the Cubs and that got shot down real quick.

If the Cubs were just loaded with talent and arms, I'd have understood this. If the Cubs were truly aiming to be competitive (being competitive and competitive in the NL central are very different) I would have understood this. That the Cubs have made it clear with their offseason that they neither give a **** about the on field team, and are packed with fun players like the corpse of Shelby Miller, this is infuriating.

Suck if you're going to suck. But man, let Jon win 200 here if that's what he wants to do and you're going to suck.

WTF that is disrespectful

He must have been both disappointed and heart broken. It gives me a feeling of anger. Not only for him, but for me.