Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 296 of 314 FirstFirst ... 196246286294295296297298306 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,440 of 4701
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Rizzo is aging, and his back isn't getting any better. Myself? If I was to throw him an extension, it would look something like 3/60

And of course, yes to the younger FA's.
    I think he'd rather hit FA than have that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I think he'd rather hit FA than have that deal.
    Would he though? He would get a lesser deal than that if he elected to become a FA. Nobody is putting money into aging 1B, especially one that is over 30 and has back issues.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Would he though? He would get a lesser deal than that if he elected to become a FA. Nobody is putting money into aging 1B, especially one that is over 30 and has back issues.
    Jose Abreu just got 3/50 at 32 following 2 seasons of sub 2 WAR production. Paul Goldschmidt got 5/130 at 31 years old. Anthony Rizzo had 7 straight years of 600+ PA and was one of the most consistent offensive bats in the game. Over the past 3 seasons only 5 1B have been to the plate more than Rizzo. Only 3 of those 5 have a higher WAR over those seasons, Bellinger, Freeman, and Goldschmidt. Back issue or not, if he bounces back at the plate there is every reason to believe he would get more than 3/60.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Jose Abreu just got 3/50 at 32 following 2 seasons of sub 2 WAR production. Paul Goldschmidt got 5/130 at 31 years old. Anthony Rizzo had 7 straight years of 600+ PA and was one of the most consistent offensive bats in the game. Over the past 3 seasons only 5 1B have been to the plate more than Rizzo. Only 3 of those 5 have a higher WAR over those seasons, Bellinger, Freeman, and Goldschmidt. Back issue or not, if he bounces back at the plate there is every reason to believe he would get more than 3/60.
    Maybe on the open market he would exceed that. But as far as an extension goes, adding 3/60 to this years 16.5 sounds about right to me. Even in today's free agency market, teams are just not throwing money around. Maybe a couple of years ago it could be different.

I also think that it's important to keep in mind when they signed these new contacts. Abreu got 3/50 1.5 years ago. Goldy got 5/130 2 years ago. I really don't think that the typical owner would make those same signings today.
    Last edited by thawv; 02-21-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Maybe on the open market he would exceed that. But as far as an extension goes, adding 3/60 to this years 16.5 sounds about right to me. Even in today's free agency market, teams are just not throwing money around. Maybe a couple of years ago it could be different.

I also think that it's important to keep in mind when they signed these new contacts. Abreu got 3/50 1.5 years ago. Goldy got 5/130 2 years ago. I really don't think that the typical owner would make those same signings today.
    This years FA market was not that good. That being said, all of the top guys got paid.

George Springer just got 6 years at 31 years old. DJ LeMahieu just got 6 years at 31.

Top players get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    This years FA market was not that good. That being said, all of the top guys got paid.

George Springer just got 6 years at 31 years old. DJ LeMahieu just got 6 years at 31.

Top players get paid.
    Be that as it may, I'd offer (if I am the Cubs) a 3/60 extension and see if he signs it. If he wants more then I probably let him walk under the "pay for what they will do, not what they have done".
    Screw sabermetics.

Be that as it may, I'd offer (if I am the Cubs) a 3/60 extension and see if he signs it. If he wants more then I probably let him walk under the "pay for what they will do, not what they have done".
    I think an offer like that might make Rizzo walk away from the negotiating table entirely, at least this spring. He still projects to be a really good hitter, even an excellent one by PECOTA. I think you're gonna have to be in the $100M range to engage with him, at least.

Looking more closely at this year's numbers, I'm guessing his camp comes at it with a Goldschmidt comp and the Cubs counter by pointing out that Realmuto didn't touch that despite being younger and a catcher and LeMahieu got $90M at age 32. So...I assume they come in close to $90M/4 as a first offer. Maybe they wind up meeting in the middle with that fifth year and like $112.5M.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    I think an offer like that might make Rizzo walk away from the negotiating table entirely, at least this spring. He still projects to be a really good hitter, even an excellent one by PECOTA. I think you're gonna have to be in the $100M range to engage with him, at least.
    As painful as it is, I would walk away from Rizzo at that price. 1B are not exactly hard to find.
    Screw sabermetics.

As painful as it is, I would walk away from Rizzo at that price. 1B are not exactly hard to find.
    Players who walk, don't strike out, and hit for power are hard to find. The Cubs don't have many long-term commitments. If everything is looking alright with Rizzo's back, I'd go for it provided you can't get anything done with Bryant this spring.

Are they? From 2015-19 there were only 11 1B worth on average 2+ WAR a season. Rizzo was worth 4.2.

Must be some kind of misconception that because players end their careers at 1B means they are actually good at 1B.
    Last edited by cuzi; 02-22-2021 at 12:57 AM.

Hmmm...Justin Turner should actually be informative for this kind of hitter. I certainly think more years would be involved. So, maybe the $60M/3 makes sense as a starting offer for the Cubs and they wind up with 4-5 years and closer to $80M. That early 30s gradient probably isn't going to be kind to Rizzo's market at all.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...284063745?s=19

Not worried at all losing Jefress. He looks like a timebomb.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Braves claimed DFAd OF Philip Ervin from the Cubs.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

2016 World Series Champions!!!