Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 91 of 235 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 3517
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Relarively speaking, if they're going to go under $175m they might as well go as low as they want. There isn't going to be a big difference between a Cubs team at $170m and $140m if they're cutting this much salary. They'll just be really bad, or normal bad.

Which isn't to say you cannot have a winning team below $170m. Its to say with the roster the Cubs currently have, I don't see any way they can put a team under $170m or so and have a winning combo.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    While I agree that they are going to be a meh team regardless , I do think having 25 available instead of 10 which would be the case ( after the KB trade )if they top out at 150 could be significant if they are trying to win a relatively weak division . Can they win the division with a team under 170 ? IDK but i like their chances better with the extra 15 mil . With a 150 payroll no chance in hell IMO.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I'd highly doubt that KB would be traded to the Sox.....But what would the package be for 1 year of KB?

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    While I agree that they are going to be a meh team regardless , I do think having 25 available instead of 10 which would be the case ( after the KB trade )if they top out at 150 could be significant if they are trying to win a relatively weak division . Can they win the division with a team under 170 ? IDK but i like their chances better with the extra 15 mil . With a 150 payroll no chance in hell IMO.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    In theory I'd like them better, but really, what are you going to add to the Cubs with $15m and as many holes as they have? You'll get a $3-4m OF'er to replace Schwarber. You'll get some backup MIF at $2m or so. You'll get 4 Ryan Tepera/Dan Winkler/Casey Sadlers at $6m or so. You'll get one veteran SP reclamation project at $5m or so. That puts you between $15-20m. That's not going to move the needle. I think the only difference is that both teams miss the playoffs, but on one hand, Tom Rickett's can claim he spent more money and the other he looks even cheaper.

The Cubs will still be bad. They're going to be a team run by 5-6 players surrounded by pretty bad players. The Cubs at $170m will probably win 2-4 more games, but will it matter? No. I don't think so. Even in a bad NL Central, it's better to be a 72 win team than an 80 win team, and there's almost no way you can get over 80 wins right now if you're non-tendering Schwarber, and trading Bryant for...well whatever they get...unless you're going to heavily reinvest in the market and add impact talent.

There are rosters where I think the difference between spending $170m and $150m result in actual, meaningful change. But I think a lot of those rosters are built on younger, lower paid talent. The Cubs have a handful of high priced guys and a roster riddled with JAGs making next to nothing because they're not good. Spending $15m in the FA market (even in a depressed market) with the holes they have, likely results in more JAGs. Entering into last year, the Cubs issue was depth. By non-tendering Schwarber (who's a potential impact bat against RHP) and probably trading Bryant (arguably their most impact player), they both create a void of true impact talent, and have still done nothing to address the depth. $15-$20m can't solve that issue.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 12-03-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    If we were to do that and trade Vaughn to you guys , where would he play? 1st base is taken...3rd? Unless Bryant is traded, but to say he'd be a fit at third would be a stretch...
    In that scenario they either move Rizzo or they have a DH in the NL and you just move forward with Rizzo and Vaughn sharing 1b/DH for the next 4 years or so. Not too different from the Sox likely plan with Abreu and Vaughn.

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    I'd highly doubt that KB would be traded to the Sox.....But what would the package be for 1 year of KB?
    Not much. Stiever or Thompson + a low level guy the Cubs like maybe?
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-03-2020 at 06:20 PM.

If we are going the cheap JAG route, I want Dahl. That was my initial reaction when I saw he was NT last night. Thereís upside there. Heís cheap (cheaper than Schwarber), heís still only 26. Obviously injuries are a concern and heís a tick below average in the field. I see him getting a 1 year prove it deal at a very cheap rate. Thoughts?

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    If we are going the cheap JAG route, I want Dahl. That was my initial reaction when I saw he was NT last night. Thereís upside there. Heís cheap (cheaper than Schwarber), heís still only 26. Obviously injuries are a concern and heís a tick below average in the field. I see him getting a 1 year prove it deal at a very cheap rate. Thoughts?
    Iíd prefer a new Cf and move Happ to left, but the available options in Cf are pretty ******.

The Angels donít really have a spot for Brandon Marsh. He should be MLb ready and heís supposed to be solid in CF. Iíd love to find a trade match or a 3 team deal that includes Marsh coming here.
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-03-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Iíd prefer a new Cf and move Happ to left, but the available options in Cf are pretty ******.

The Angels donít really have a spot for Brandon Marsh. He should be MLb ready and heís supposed to be solid in CF. Iíd love to find a trade match or a 3 team deal that includes Marsh coming here.
    If we can get a guy like Marsh via trade, then I would definitely prefer that.

My point is if we are just going to sign a guy to have a body to stand out there and take ABís, Iíd rather it be somebody like Dahl with upside than a guy like Pillar who is a what you see is what you get kind of guy. Dahl still has a chance to figure it out, Pillar is who he will always be. I really think injuries have just crushed Dahl. Heís been consistently around a 110 wRC+ guy. His k rates arenít great, but he still finds a way to hit for average. Defense is also not great, but heís Schwarber-ish in the outfield - doesnít really hurt you, doesnít help you either.

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    If we can get a guy like Marsh via trade, then I would definitely prefer that.

My point is if we are just going to sign a guy to have a body to stand out there and take ABís, Iíd rather it be somebody like Dahl with upside than a guy like Pillar who is a what you see is what you get kind of guy. Dahl still has a chance to figure it out, Pillar is who he will always be. I really think injuries have just crushed Dahl. Heís been consistently around a 110 wRC+ guy. His k rates arenít great, but he still finds a way to hit for average. Defense is also not great, but heís Schwarber-ish in the outfield - doesnít really hurt you, doesnít help you either.
    If we are just signing a guy to fill a spot while not contending then Dahl is fine. If thatís the plan I donít really care if itís Dahl or Cameron Maybin or Billy Hamilton or whoever else. Dahl would have a little more upside, but I think itís unlikely that heís ever any better than Schwarber and Schwarber had no trade value, so it doesnít matter much

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    If we are just signing a guy to fill a spot while not contending then Dahl is fine. If thatís the plan I donít really care if itís Dahl or Cameron Maybin or Billy Hamilton or whoever else. Dahl would have a little more upside, but I think itís unlikely that heís ever any better than Schwarber and Schwarber had no trade value, so it doesnít matter much
    I donít disagree. I would just rather have a guy that at least has to the potential to turn into something rather than a guy that has topped out at mediocre. Either way, not really sure it matters a whole lot. This whole deal is going to suck either way.

It's ****ing insane to me that it's almost a given KB will not be a Cub. A large market team and we letting corner stone players like him go and prob. more to follow.

Amazing how teams like the Yankees don't actually ever have to do that. KB was to retire a Cub in my eyes, but unfortunately we're one of the richest teams in one of the worst situations. IDK this season sucks, I guess then again rebuilds with some serious focus and purpose might really spark my Cubs intensity back as it's been pretty bland since the WS like something was achieved that I could finally put to bed.

No matter what though every ****ing player who was apart of that I am forever grateful for and will never forget.

At this point with non tendering schwarbs and the budget issues I feel like we are in the worst place to be as a franchise. You are either in or out, this kinda good but not good enough area has disaster written all over it.

Wow, this came out of nowhere ..
    Chris Myers rumored to replace him

https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/st...377090048?s=19

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chibears55; 12-04-2020 at 01:02 AM.

****. Len just took the job of the White Sox radio guy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Holy crap... Len Kasper is leaving the Cubs for the White Sox play by play. This is a shocker. I really liked Len.