Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 82 of 237 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 3545
  1. #1216
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,372
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I think that’s likely too, but Gonzales is saying “if they do..” in this interview.

    Whatever the result is, in the part I heard Gonzales did not report this would happen. So either Nightengale is reporting it and wording it weirdly or Nightengale is just being a moron. Or he’s guessing.
    I'm guessing that both of them are getting the same smoke because it's the same "if" sounding stuff.

    To me? It feels like the Cubs are trying to trade him and if they can't, they're going to non-tender him.

  2. #1217
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A city in the United States.
    Posts
    5,512
    I think non-tendering both Schwarber and Almora were the right calls. It sucks to see Schwarber go, though. I wish the big man well, wherever he ends up.
    Screw sabermetics.

  3. #1218
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,871
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I see $152.05 mil for 18 players on Cots? That doesn’t include the $15 mil in benefits or the $11 mil in buyouts, so with that included they’d be a little under $180.

    Something must be off there. They were under $220 in 2020 and they’ve already dropped a ton of payroll.
    You're right. I counted the arb guys twice. I come up with a little over 169 as of right now for their CBT number. That's assuming they sign all their arb guys.

    Contract guys w/Rizzo 91.5
    Arb guys 53.8
    0-3 guys 6.3
    Minors 2.3
    Benefits 15.5
    Total 169.4
    Last edited by thawv; 12-02-2020 at 06:41 PM.

  4. #1219
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    I think non-tendering both Schwarber and Almora were the right calls. It sucks to see Schwarber go, though. I wish the big man well, wherever he ends up.
    Non-tendering Schwarber is in no way "the right" move. He's a 2-3 win player signed for much less than a 2-3 win player. If you want to change things...we can talk. But you get something for him. The Cubs are getting nothing. And getting nothing for an MLB player who's got value is never right.

  5. #1220
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    12,554
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    You're right. I counted the arb guys twice. I come up with a little over 169 as of right now for their CBT number. That's assuming they sign all their arb guys.

    Contract guys w/Rizzo 91.5
    Arb guys 53.8
    0-3 guys 6.3
    Minors 2.3
    Benefits 15.5
    Total 169.4
    So if we use 169 and subtract 13 for Schwarber, Almora, Martinez, Ryan NTs we’re at about 156 mil. If Gonzales is right that they can go to 180-190 they have some room to spend now. If they did move KB too and say they save $12 mil in that deal they’d have 40-50 to spend.

    Unfortunately, I think they are going closer to 150-160 than 180-190.

  6. #1221
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I don’t believe Gonzales said Schwarber would be non tendered. He said he might be non tendered. The Nightengale said unless something changes Schwarber will be non tendered. So Nightengale was the first to report that it will happen. Nightengale is a moron, so it’s entirely possible that he misunderstood the Gonzales article and was regurgitating it rather than actually reporting that this decision has been made.


    Yeah, I’d trade Javy if it were me. I don’t really believe in the bat at all and I think he still has a lot of value across the league that he’ll lose if he has another season in 2021 where he can’t hit.
    Wouldn't surprise me either with Nightengale..

    I'm on that same boat with Javy, love the kid but not confidence in that bat going forward.

    I mean, Am I wrong to not be 100% confidence that outside of power, he might not be as productive offensively as Castro been the last 5 yrs

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  7. #1222
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,871
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    The Cubs non-tendering Schwarber is a pretty bad sign of things to come. Schwarber is a 2-3 win player most years. Yes, he's coming off a bad year, but if they're uninterested in paying s 27 year old LF'er who's mostly a 2-3 win player $7m or so, then we're getting a LF'er who's going to be making less then that as I doubt the Cubs plan is to break the bank there.

    So we're getting a reclamation project. Think the 2021 version of Souza. I'll guess a 1 year deal with someone like Josh Reddick.
    This one is sad to see happen. If there was any hope left for wanting to compete, it's now gone in my eyes. Even at 2 wins, Kyles is worth his arb number. It's clearly about saving and pocketing as much money as possible. Winning is not a not a concern right now.

    It doesn't matter at all if the guy is a replacement level player coming on board, as long as he's cheap.

  8. #1223
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,871
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I didn't say it was going to be good, just saying they could also go that route..

    As far as Hermosillo goes, just saying he'd probably get that opportunity if they're punting 2021..
    I looked at their prospects, cause I was wondering if there was anyone ready that they could use that could be decent but not sure if anyone good is ready..

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Since they have no interest in winning right now, even if any of the prospect WERE ready, it would not be wise to bring them up. They would start their clock, while helping them win. By the time they are good again, these guys will be half way through their control years.

  9. #1224
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    12,554
    Kyle Schwarber was as good or better than Marcel Ozuna in 2018 and 2019.

    One of these guys is getting a 4-5 year deal near $20 mil per year. The other gets a NT when he’s due 1/$7-8 mil.

    That’s crazy to me. I know Schwarber sucked in 2020 and Ozuna was great, but it was 60 games.

  10. #1225
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,871
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    So if we use 169 and subtract 13 for Schwarber, Almora, Martinez, Ryan NTs we’re at about 156 mil. If Gonzales is right that they can go to 180-190 they have some room to spend now. If they did move KB too and say they save $12 mil in that deal they’d have 40-50 to spend.

    Unfortunately, I think they are going closer to 150-160 than 180-190.
    Crazy as it sounds, they already had Martinez off the payroll since I looked at lunch!

    I don't think they will be spending again this year. Yep.......150-160 range sounds about right.

  11. #1226
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Since they have no interest in winning right now, even if any of the prospect WERE ready, it would not be wise to bring them up. They would start their clock, while helping them win. By the time they are good again, these guys will be half way through their control years.
    I'm not disagreeing with the clock thing and wouldn't expect them to bring up their best young prospects now, but what indication do you have that they wont be good in 2022 and compete again.


    Also as far as this year goes, not saying their intentions isnt probably to go under the Threshold for the year, but we're 2 hours away from the NT deadline and all we've heard so far is that just Schwarber and Almora may be NT..
    everyone been talking about KB, Contreras, Baez, etc. getting traded the last few weeks and going 50 60 70 mil under the threshold, So, just saying before we stick a fork into it, let see what happens officially first with everything they do this offseason

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chibears55; 12-02-2020 at 07:22 PM.

  12. #1227
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,871
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with the clock thing and wouldn't expect them to bring up their best young prospects now, but what indication do you have that they wont be good in 2022 and compete again

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    They won't have KB, Schwarber, Javi in 2022. And if they're dead sent on slashing payroll, they may not have Yu and maybe Hendricks either. Not that they were winning with them, but it seems like they want to take a step back for a bit as far as spending money goes.

    Maybe they surprise us all and go crazy next year!

  13. #1228
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    They won't have KB, Schwarber, Javi in 2022. And if they're dead sent on slashing payroll, they may not have Yu and maybe Hendricks either. Not that they were winning with them, but it seems like they want to take a step back for a bit as far as spending money goes.

    Maybe they surprise us all and go crazy next year!
    They have 55 mil in guarenteed contracts next season, theyll have plenty of money to spend and Yu and Hendricks is 30+ of that..

    I'm not saying they're definitely going to win a championship in 2022, I'm just saying they will be in much better position money wise and all to put together a good contending team next offseason if they choose

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  14. #1229
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,372
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    They have 55 mil in guarenteed contracts next season, theyll have plenty of money to spend and Yu and Hendricks is 30+ of that..

    I'm not saying they're definitely going to win a championship in 2022, I'm just saying they will be in much better position money wise and all to put together a good contending team next offseason if they choose

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    How much money they continue to spend and what FA is going to look like the next time we have it (2022 is in serious doubt with the CBA) is going to have a large impact on what the Cubs do and how much they can compete. If the financials bounce back, it'll be likely the Cubs won't be the only team wanting to spend. It may not be a good market to buy, just as this market is bad to sell. Or the CBA could have major changes.

    If the Cubs dump to around $150-$160m, and don't add many long term assets you can count on for 2022, I'm not sure if 2022 is really likely to come out of it. It might be 2023 or 2024, especially depending on what they sell this year. They won't easily, for example, be able to just buy a rotation and they may not want to go that route. If they don't, it'll probably be a year or two, as their minor league system matures.

  15. #1230
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A city in the United States.
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Non-tendering Schwarber is in no way "the right" move. He's a 2-3 win player signed for much less than a 2-3 win player. If you want to change things...we can talk. But you get something for him. The Cubs are getting nothing. And getting nothing for an MLB player who's got value is never right.
    It is if the plan is to tear it down and rebuilt. Sure, I want to keep him but clearly the Cubs wanted to move on.
    Screw sabermetics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •