Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 30 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    What do you guys think is a good extension offer for KB and something he would seriously consider. 5 years, 115-120 mill? I’m bitter he had a bad season but if they can extend him to something reasonable I’d be all for it. I want there to be at least one holdover from the dream team and he projects to still be a really
    good player in most seasons. Unfortunately it seems like they might trade him and cut costs
    at every corner. If Mark Cuban ended up getting the Cubs they probably would have been better off long term
    For 5 years, I would do 95 mil

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Here’s a blow it all up offseason plan on a Friday afternoon because I’m bored.

Trade KB, Jason Adam for Carter Kieboom and Daniel Hudson ($6 million - Hudson is a salary dump for Washington) - Cubs drop about 15 mil in 2021 salary. Nats take 1 more run at it with Scherzer, Stras, Corbin, Soto, Turner etc.

Trade Javy to Toronto for Alek Manoah - Cubs drop about $12-14 million in 2021 salary. Jays add a potential impact guy and greatly improve their terrible defense for a good but not top 100 SP prospect.

Trade Willson, Kimbrel, $10 million to TB for McClanahan or Baz + Joe Ryan and Greg Jones, Kiermaier (Tb adds him in to offset 11.5 million) - Cubs drop 1.5 million in 2021 salary, Kiermaier is a FA after 2021. Rays fix their weakest position and add 1 more pen arm to replace McClanahan or Baz’s 2021 contribution. Pretty close to a financially neutral trade.

Trade Darvish + Caratini + $10 million to the White Sox for Vaughn + Kelley - Cubs drop about $10 million in 2021 salary, about $20 million in each of 2022 and 2023 salary. Sox get a TORP effectively for 3/49 and replace McCann cheap to save cash for a RF. They have Abreu at 1b and Grandal/Eloy might DH a lot the next few years. Cubs lock up 1b for the next 7 years and add a future potential top pitching prospect.

Trade Rizzo + Wick to NYY for Austin Wells - Cubs save $17 Million in 2021 salary. Yankees need a big lefty bat and they could probably use a dude like Rizzo. Voit gets moved separately for a SP or goes into a DH rotation. Cubs acquired Vaughn in this scenario so extending Rizzo seems unlikely. Wells should be a solid bat but he’s probably not too much to give up for a year and first rights to extend Rizzo.

FA - fill in the roster with mostly cheap 1 year deals. Tank 2021. If you can get good value on a 3 year deal for Stroman, maybe do that in hopes of competing in the last 2 years.

By 2022 you should have $100M+ AAV to spend in FA.

2022 internal bats - Heyward (RF), Happ(CF or LF), Vaughn (1b), Kieboom(2b, 3b), Davis (All OF spots), Amaya (C), Wells(C, DH, LF, 1b), Jones (CF, 2b), Hoerner(CF/2b), Bote (2b, 3b), maybe Strumpf (2b)

2022 internal arms - Hendricks, Marquez, Alzolay, whoever is good in the pen next year, McClanahan or Baz, Joe Ryan, Manoah, plus whoever emerges from the Cubs pitching prospects (Jensen, Thompson, Abbott, Franklin, Carraway, Clarke, McAvene, Cruz, Patterson, Gallardo, Roberts, etc).

Kelley, Howard, Hernandez, Quintero, Etc would all still be a year + away but likely those are your potential top 100 prospects in 2022/2023 + whoever they draft high in 2022 after a crap 2021 season.

Spend big on good hitting power bats and SP in FA after next season and open a new window in 2022.
    Tremendously well thought out post. Excellent job CP.

Sign me up for this.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Tremendously well thought out post. Excellent job CP.

Sign me up for this.
    Thanks. I have no idea how realistic any of those trades are in this new market and it’s pretty unlikely they make 5 major trades this offseason...but I was bored.

Personally, I hope MLB does something to address the domanace of pitching in today's game. Batting averages have crashed to the lowest ever. The last time this happened ,(the late 60's the AL adopted the DH and both leagues lowrred the height of the pitching mound several inches. Last year even the NL had the DH and that didn't seem to help so I think they should try shaving another 2to3 incjed off the heights of the mounds. Improved training techniques have added 5 mph to virtually every ML pitcher's fastballs (well, except Hendricks) and hitter have not been able to keep pace. With virtually all having a decent slider, coupled wth faster fastballs, hitter have to guess even more, resulting in more swings and misses--and more strikeout thru the roofs. If MLB wants to get more excitement bsck into the game, it needs to help its hitters just as it did 50 years ago. And the hitters on the Cubs are prime exhibits, KB,Rizzo, etc. They wete getting beat by these faster fastballs all year.

Thanks. I have no idea how realistic any of those trades are in this new market and it’s pretty unlikely they make 5 major trades this offseason...but I was bored.
    Realistic or not, the amount of thought and creativity that was put in to this is impressive.

Here’s a blow it all up offseason plan on a Friday afternoon because I’m bored.

Trade KB, Jason Adam for Carter Kieboom and Daniel Hudson ($6 million - Hudson is a salary dump for Washington) - Cubs drop about 15 mil in 2021 salary. Nats take 1 more run at it with Scherzer, Stras, Corbin, Soto, Turner etc.

Trade Javy to Toronto for Alek Manoah - Cubs drop about $12-14 million in 2021 salary. Jays add a potential impact guy and greatly improve their terrible defense for a good but not top 100 SP prospect.

Trade Willson, Kimbrel, $10 million to TB for McClanahan or Baz + Joe Ryan and Greg Jones, Kiermaier (Tb adds him in to offset 11.5 million) - Cubs drop 1.5 million in 2021 salary, Kiermaier is a FA after 2021. Rays fix their weakest position and add 1 more pen arm to replace McClanahan or Baz’s 2021 contribution. Pretty close to a financially neutral trade.

Trade Darvish + Caratini + $10 million to the White Sox for Vaughn + Kelley - Cubs drop about $10 million in 2021 salary, about $20 million in each of 2022 and 2023 salary. Sox get a TORP effectively for 3/49 and replace McCann cheap to save cash for a RF. They have Abreu at 1b and Grandal/Eloy might DH a lot the next few years. Cubs lock up 1b for the next 7 years and add a future potential top pitching prospect.

Trade Rizzo + Wick to NYY for Austin Wells - Cubs save $17 Million in 2021 salary. Yankees need a big lefty bat and they could probably use a dude like Rizzo. Voit gets moved separately for a SP or goes into a DH rotation. Cubs acquired Vaughn in this scenario so extending Rizzo seems unlikely. Wells should be a solid bat but he’s probably not too much to give up for a year and first rights to extend Rizzo.

FA - fill in the roster with mostly cheap 1 year deals. Tank 2021. If you can get good value on a 3 year deal for Stroman, maybe do that in hopes of competing in the last 2 years.

By 2022 you should have $100M+ AAV to spend in FA.

2022 internal bats - Heyward (RF), Happ(CF or LF), Vaughn (1b), Kieboom(2b, 3b), Davis (All OF spots), Amaya (C), Wells(C, DH, LF, 1b), Jones (CF, 2b), Hoerner(CF/2b), Bote (2b, 3b), maybe Strumpf (2b)

2022 internal arms - Hendricks, Marquez, Alzolay, whoever is good in the pen next year, McClanahan or Baz, Joe Ryan, Manoah, plus whoever emerges from the Cubs pitching prospects (Jensen, Thompson, Abbott, Franklin, Carraway, Clarke, McAvene, Cruz, Patterson, Gallardo, Roberts, etc).

Kelley, Howard, Hernandez, Quintero, Etc would all still be a year + away but likely those are your potential top 100 prospects in 2022/2023 + whoever they draft high in 2022 after a crap 2021 season.

Spend big on good hitting power bats and SP in FA after next season and open a new window in 2022.
    Forget Jed. I nominate you to take over for Theo. Very well thought out post. I would be on board with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    Personally, I hope MLB does something to address the domanace of pitching in today's game. Batting averages have crashed to the lowest ever. The last time this happened ,(the late 60's the AL adopted the DH and both leagues lowrred the height of the pitching mound several inches. Last year even the NL had the DH and that didn't seem to help so I think they should try shaving another 2to3 incjed off the heights of the mounds. Improved training techniques have added 5 mph to virtually every ML pitcher's fastballs (well, except Hendricks) and hitter have not been able to keep pace. With virtually all having a decent slider, coupled wth faster fastballs, hitter have to guess even more, resulting in more swings and misses--and more strikeout thru the roofs. If MLB wants to get more excitement bsck into the game, it needs to help its hitters just as it did 50 years ago. And the hitters on the Cubs are prime exhibits, KB,Rizzo, etc. They wete getting beat by these faster fastballs all year.
    Also, I think that the fact that in the new era of metrics, batting average seems to have gone by the wayside as far as importance goes. Because metrics are the new thing, hitters don't concern themselves with BA as much as they did in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    So you’re proposing that MLB tells pitchers not to throw max effort? I’m confused here. I think the only way they can “help” hitters is to limit shifts, which they are talking about doing. That’s the only realistic thing. Either that or hitters hit better. You just can’t say “hey pitchers, don’t ever throw your best stuff because we need to make the game more exciting.”

Woah they fired the assistant hitting coach?!?! Big changes incoming!!

Dodgers had a 122 wRC+ this year. With the right preparation hitters can still rake.

The Cubs biggest problem are curves and sliders. They are largely useless against them. Hitting those pitches consistently and with authority is where they should start. That's what the great offenses do better than the rest. Unfortunately the Cubs hitters have not made any marked improvement in that regard over the last 5 years.

Most of them also have very flat bat paths compared to the league average. If you guys want to see improvement from the Cubs offense, get ready, because they will need to embrace the launch angle era. I actually believe Mallee was at the forefront of that in his years in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    So you’re proposing that MLB tells pitchers not to throw max effort? I’m confused here. I think the only way they can “help” hitters is to limit shifts, which they are talking about doing. That’s the only realistic thing. Either that or hitters hit better. You just can’t say “hey pitchers, don’t ever throw your best stuff because we need to make the game more exciting.”
    I'm mot proposing they tell the pitchersvanything. I am proposing MLB shave snothet couple of inches off the heigjt the the mound to somewhat reduce the pitchers'advantage in throwing downhill, justblike it did in eithet '69 or 70 when scoring was way, way down ,(helped by ERAs like Bob Gibson's 1.11 in '68.) Pitchers can still throw max effort, the result will be maybe 1-2 mph less though since their downhill angle will be less.See, you don't have to tell pitchers anything, you just reduce the advantage that throwing from a hill gives them, just as was done 50 years ago!
    Last edited by Stevemil505; 10-23-2020 at 09:09 PM.

I think it’s beyond the point of just lowering the mound a couple inches. They should strongly consider moving the mound back 1-2 feet.

I think it’s beyond the point of just lowering the mound a couple inches. They should strongly consider moving the mound back 1-2 feet.
    But what does that do for the guys like Hendricks who can barely touch 87? I mean I know he’s one of the very few that throws under 90, but do they just say “sorry bud” to those type of pitchers?

But what does that do for the guys like Hendricks who can barely touch 87? I mean I know he’s one of the very few that throws under 90, but do they just say “sorry bud” to those type of pitchers?
    I’m not sure it would be worse for Hendricks than it is for the guys who rely on velo.

Probably. When they change the fences they dont worry about the Tony Campana's who can't hit it that far, either. It probably hurts someone like Hendricks. But its game over player.

The game probably needs to do something about the velo right now, as we are getting to the limitations of what humans can actually perceive and react to.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Page 30 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast