Page 70 of 214 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 3210
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I thought it said major leaguers
    [emoji849][emoji1787][emoji28]

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Wow!!! Garbage for garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Watched Jed's press conference on Youtube. Tom Ricketts answered questions too.

They're playing their off-season cards close to their vest as usual, but a few things of note:

- With questions about a full rebuild, Jed said with the resources the Cubs had he felt the Cubs could make changes (I assume get younger too) but always compete for a playoff spot. He thinks that it's always a good idea to try and make the playoffs because once you get in you never know what will happen. This echoed what Theo said in his presser at the end of the season.

- Ricketts echoed that and said they wouldn't be "tearing anything down" (ie: no full rebuild).

- Jed wouldn't comment on 2021 payroll for offseason strategic reasons. When asked if any significant salary players might be non-tendered he also wouldn't comment for the same reason.

- Jed said he's been disappointed with the offense, years ago they thought they had built an offensive juggernaut but it didn't work out that way, and this offseason he's looking to make moves to change up the offensive.

- Jed said there's no extension talks currently happening with any players. He also said that the Cubs have tried to make extension deals with some of the core guys in the past but have been unable to.

Sounds to me like the core guys are headed to free agency in 2021, some could be dealt this winter, and guys like Darvish are likely staying put due to no rebuild happening.
    Ewww.

This sounds like a path to 80-85 win baseball purgatory.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I hate Tom Ricketts as an owner. I really, really, really do.
    Why?

I'm sure he could of spent a few more dollars over the last few years but hate?

Political thing?

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I think people have far too high of expectations of what they can get in this market. People forget how lucky the Cubs got at times with things like Hendricks and Arrieta. The Cubs have a better org top to bottom than the last time, but a lot of the Cubs system is far away still.

I doubt they're back in 2022. Maybe by 2023. I think there's a good chance its not until 2024 due to how piss poor this market is shaping up to be and what they won't get for the players they're trading.

And thats not "doing it wrong" so much as "not having options".

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    2024 looks about right to me .

So If it's not until 2024 then there is no reason to keep around guys like Hendrix and Darvish.
    Last edited by Cubs420; 11-27-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Any news on the new GM?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Why?

Political thing?
    I agree. If you want to hate, hate Wrigley, hate the Trib-neither of these brought a ws win to Chicago, but Ricketts did. Grow up, 1908!
    Last edited by Stevemil505; 11-27-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    I agree. If you want to hate, hate Wrigley, hate the Trib-neither of these brought a ws win to Chicago, but Ricketts did. Grow up, 1908!
    But here we are. One of the largest market teams in baseball looking to trade our super star 3rd baseman for the second straight year because we canít afford him. We probably have to non tender Schwarber. Ricketts hasnít made a significant signing since Darvish (not counting Kimbrel bc we only got him bc of Zobrist). So basically we are broke and looking to trade off players and taking a step back for a couple of years. But Ricketts gets a pass because he won a World Series 4 years ago. Lol okay.

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

It has nothing to do with political reasons. Ricketts is being ****ing stupid and ďcrying poorĒ, not spending ANY MONEY over the last 2 offseasons, in which this offseason will be the 3rd straight offseason of not spending money, on top of blowing up a good chunk of the core while also gaining over $100 mil on tax credits for the Wrigley renovation project.

Who gives a **** if he was the owner that finally saw the Cubs win a World Series? Instead of trying to help the team that ended a 108-year drought and keep them in contention for years by adding other quality FAs on top of this core, he decided to go cheap and eventually stop giving money out. And now we get to trade off people for salary relief and sit through another rebuild.

At this point, he can **** off. Iím happy for 2016, but since then heís become a typical ******** professional sports owner.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Why is it not a grown up position to dislike this ownership group? Itís a perfectly legitimate position. What impresses you about the ownership group?

Iíll give them credit for hiring Theo. Iíll give them credit for not getting involved in baseball decisions like some owners do. Beyond hiring Theo what impresses you about this ownership group? Maybe you just like their politics? Even with the Theo thing they just got lucky as hell that the Red Sox collapsed in 2011 and he was ready to move on.

The Cubs have had a top 5 payroll 4 times in the last 10 years and are looking to slash spending again. They put a lot of money into investments that will drive revenues to themselves but in terms of what we should care about as fans theyíve been an entirely mediocre ownership group. Iím sure Hotel Zachary is nice. Marquee is garbage. They bought up a ton of property.

Since Steinbrenner died there hasnít been a good owner in MLB. The Ricketts are far from the worst of the worst, but they are no better than most.
    Last edited by CP_414; 11-27-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Why?

Political thing?
    Because of the hypocrisy and the crying poor. He is consistently adding new revenue streams via the Cubs (TV, the field, developing businesses around the field) but refuses to put that money back in to the team. Won't tell anyone how much he makes, but damnit, he will let you know how much he loses. Its the baseball team that takes hits, and fans are left holding the receipt. And if that's the way he wants to handle his money, fine but that doesn't mean he should be liked or get plaudits for doing it. The Cubs are speaking about non-tendering Kris Bryant but Ricketts just got a $100m tax break on Wrigley. So now you, I and others get to deal with a dumpy team for a few years, but Tom doesn't care and he's on record of stating none of that tax break money goes to the Cubs. It goes to Tom. Fans paid for the renovations with tickets, and food, and drink; but none of the tax money's going back to the team. **** that noise.

I'm not saying others may not play the same game. But frankly, I don't care. Tom Rickett's is the Cubs owner and he doesn't have to do things "cause everyone else does", so he doesn't get a pass because other owners suck. He could almost assuredly do a ton more on the field, and still rake in cash hand over fist. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

And hey, maybe we'll all be shocked. Maybe the Cubs are playing a "waiting" game and plan to attack the market and are just playing coy. Is it the most insane thing? No, it's not. But it's all the same argument fans have had since the Cubs didn't appear interested in Bryce Harper, that the team was laying in wait. Every report on the planet surrounding the Cubs suggest they won't. So maybe I'll have to re-*****. But...probably not.

And none of that is on the politics side. To be transparent; I do not subscribe to his politics, and that's another issue but has nothing to do with Ricketts the owner. He could have a different opinion on politics but do the best for the Cubs and I'd say Tom Ricketts the Cubs Owner is great. I cannot stand Ricketts the baseball owner because the franchise is playing poor in the market to buy low and be a winner. I can't stand watching Tom play developer and not Cub owner. It's annoying as hell to watch the team find every excuse on the planet to cut payroll. It's embarrassing to watch the team have to be in a situation where contemplating non-tendering good players is on the table.

So in short, Tom Ricketts the Cubs owner can shove it. It doesn't have to be this way. The Cubs should be the unique team who's buying a championship this year. So yeah, I hate Tom Ricketts the owner because he's realistically, no better than any of the others, he does not seem overly committed to the team and we the fans seem to be the ones on the other end of the stick.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 11-27-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Did you seriously just tell me to "grow up"? First off, how incredibly uncalled for, as I did nothing that would require "growing up". I've got quite legitimate reasons (as outlined in another post) for disliking Tom Ricketts. So if you'd like to explain what about that would be cause for me to need to mature and "grow up" I'd love to know.

Why would I "hate" Wrigley? I'm 33 years old. I don't really care what Wrigley did with the Cubs. And you're right, the Tribune Co was not a good owner either. But just because those two were bummer owners, and Rickett's hired Epstein a decade ago, doesn't mean he just gets to be a cheap bastard and gets a pass for it. Rickett's didn't "bring" a WS here. He took zero PA's, he threw 0 innings, he made zero trades. There are years the Cubs spent around the amount of money you'd expect a large budget to spend, but he's walked that back real quickly, and has found almost any excuse to do so. He's hid behind the luxury tax (which is not nearly as large of a penalty as franchises make it out to be; it's a self-imposed line they themselves created, not for competitive balance but to line their own pockets. He's not hiding from his losses, as he's sung those loud and proud). Rickett's might not be the worst offender of all, but it doesn't mean he's been good, either. It'd be like sitting in a room full of convicted, confessed serial killers. Sure, one of the 30 may have donated 10% of what he stole after he killed folks, but he still was a serial killer. Being not as awful does not equate to something that should be celebrated. Ricketts did some not-awful things. He's also hamstrung the Cubs and is actively doing just that, while our ticket prices have gone up, our cable bills have gone up; he gets tax breaks and refuses to put it back into the team, or limits spending enough to where the Cubs consider non-tendering good players.

So let's ask ourselves this? What sounds more mature; finding faults in ownership or blindly accepting their cheap attitude because he was the owner when the Cubs won the WS? Because, maybe it isn't I who needs to "grow up" but the person who's blindly following authority who could use a little more sophistication and cultivated opinions on ownership. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 11-27-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Haven't the cubs been in the top 5 to 10 payroll the last 5 years?

I recall before, most of the complaint wasn't directly towards him not spending but more towards who Theo was spending it on.

Theyve been over 2 yrs now haven't they? so I thought because of what theyll lose other then money, that it best they dont go over a 3rd year

Just wondering are we pissed because of the possibility of him draining payroll more then need too this coming season, what the payroll been the last 5 seasons , or both

I recall before, most of the complaint wasn't directly towards him not spending but more towards who Theo was spending it on.

Theyve been over 2 yrs now haven't they? so I thought because of what theyll lose other then money, that it best they dont go over a 3rd year

Just wondering are we pissed because of the possibility of him draining payroll more then need too this coming season, what the payroll been the last 5 seasons , or both

The Cubs sitting in the 5-10 range isn't impressive, its expected. On top of it, they could have easily gone higher. The excuse of "other teams don't go over the self imposed luxury tax" isn't an argument for why Ricketts doesn't. The Cubs have cut payroll two years running now and are likely yo drastically cut (at least down to $175, which is $40m in reduction, very possibly over that down closed to $150m is on the table).

The Cubs should almost never have anything under a top-5, and should almost always have a top-3 or so. If everyone is scared of the luxury tax, the Cubs easily should be able to go over it, the penalties pale in comparison to how much the Cubs will make Ricketts in the long run.

Ricketts isn't a good owner. At best hes no better than any of the others. That hes not the Tribune is the bare minimum and being as good as all of the other bad ones simply shouldn't be good enough either. Being as good as all of the bad ones just makes you bad. Its a business, and I get that, but as a fan, I don't give a **** about his business, and if he wants to get my accolades, flex your financial might the way you can. If you refuse, while raising the price of admission (tickets and cable bills) while slashing talent on the field, you get a big old "**** you". Especially when you want the fans to pay for your renovations then pocket the tax savings.

As a fan we shouldn't ask an owner to spend $500m a year because we know its a business and that is almost assuredly way too much. But the Cubs likely turn hand over fist profit on his $215m budget and would do the same on a $240m. When we consider how lucrative these things are as they just accrue value for sale...I'm not going to give him a pass at using the luxury tax (created BY owners for this very purpose) to defend his spending.

The Cubs could be a clear favorite next year. They are choosing the easy way out and slashing payroll like the rest. I'm not celebrating him.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 11-27-2020 at 04:45 PM.

What I see shows them outside the top 5 in 2017 in addition to 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. Theyíll almost certainly be outside the top 5 in 2021 and 2022 and potentially longer. The Cubs revenues could support a top 5 payroll every year.

They went over the tax only 3 times under this ownership: 2016, 2019 and 2020. 2016 was because they really did ramp up spending significantly. They followed that WS with a major cut in payroll and then in 2019/2020 they were kind of stuck with an inability to get out of some deals and a lack of progression by some players.

When they were tanking the story was that it doesnít make sense to spend now but when we are good weíll be a huge spender. Then they were good the last few years but couldnít add any money to what was already committed and they never blew everyone away in spending the way the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox have at times. Now they can easily go into 2021 as the overwhelming division favorite but the plan seems to be to cut spending by $70 mil + from 2020 and $90 mil + from 2019 levels.

The Ricketts arenít unique. They are the same as basically every other ownership group in the game today. Revenues have exploded in the last 2 decades but the share that goes to payroll keeps shrinking. Now they face the first actual financial hardship in mlb team ownership in 70+ years and itís clear how low winning is in the priority list.

Like I said, they arenít the worst ownership group in the game but I donít see why they deserve any praise. They are entirely replaceable by basically any other multi billionaire.
    Last edited by CP_414; 11-27-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    What I see shows them outside the top 5 in 2017 in addition to 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. Theyíll almost certainly be outside the top 5 in 2021 and 2022 and potentially longer. The Cubs revenues could support a top 5 payroll every year.

They went over the tax only 3 times under this ownership: 2016, 2019 and 2020. 2016 was because they really did ramp up spending significantly. They followed that WS with a major cut in payroll and then in 2019/2020 they were kind of stuck with an inability to get out of some deals and a lack of progression by some players.

When they were tanking the story was that it doesnít make sense to spend now but when we are good weíll be a huge spender. Then they were good the last few years but couldnít add any money to what was already committed and they never blew everyone away in spending the way the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox have at times. Now they can easily go into 2021 as the overwhelming division favorite but the plan seems to be to cut spending by $70 mil + from 2020 and $90 mil + from 2019 levels.

The Ricketts arenít unique. They are the same as basically every other ownership group in the game today. Revenues have exploded in the last 2 decades but the share that goes to payroll keeps shrinking. Now they face the first actual financial hardship in mlb team ownership in 70+ years and itís clear how low winning is in the priority list.

Like I said, they arenít the worst ownership group in the game but I donít see why they deserve any praise. They are entirely replaceable by basically any other multi billionaire.
    I'm not trying to defend or praise Rickett from not spending more, but it hard to totally trash him based on 2020 and an uncertainty yet of how 2021 or 22 going to go.

For me, yes he on a short lease with me but im gonna wait and see exactly what they do this offseason and next before I decide if he a garbage owner or not..
    I've been through the whole Tribune ERA, now they were garbage owners that profited off of Carey,WGN, and the 84 team and never considered putting anything extra into the team itself

I dont think TR will be as bad as the Tribune or as good as George Steinbrenner with spending, but we'll see how things look come next offseason