Follow us on Twitter

Page 66 of 227 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
    I sort of like the Twins for Darvish .

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    I sort of like the Twins for Darvish .

He has a limited NTC right? If I remember right they were involved when the Cubs signed him and he didnít seem into Minnesota.

Iím not sure if heíd feel differently about Toronto but I like the Jays for him. SD and the White Sox would be good too. Maybe Atlanta. It would be great if AZ wanted to go for it and get him, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    He has a limited NTC right? If I remember right they were involved when the Cubs signed him and he didnít seem into Minnesota.

Iím not sure if heíd feel differently about Toronto but I like the Jays for him. SD and the White Sox would be good too. Maybe Atlanta. It would be great if AZ wanted to go for it and get him, but I doubt it.
    He can block a trade with 12 clubs annually.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    He can block a trade with 12 clubs annually.
    Thanks. Would be interesting to see that list.

Yes he does have a limited NTC . If the Cubs decide to move him ( I donít think they will ) I think even in this market he would bring back a very nice return (same with Contreras ). All those teams you mentioned are nice fits . Just read that the Braves are going hard after Charlie Morton .

At the end I think Hendricks / Darvish stay and they will be very active in the 2022 FA market after signing Rizzo to a new deal . Not sure is the right path but itís the one I see them taking .

Thanks. Would be interesting to see that list.
    Interesting. I wonder if he has to give his list before/after the season. Can the list change every year? I believe it can. The last two years, he could have blocked a trade to all clubs. This is a pretty big change from here on out.

Watched Jed's press conference on Youtube. Tom Ricketts answered questions too.

They're playing their off-season cards close to their vest as usual, but a few things of note:

- With questions about a full rebuild, Jed said with the resources the Cubs had he felt the Cubs could make changes (I assume get younger too) but always compete for a playoff spot. He thinks that it's always a good idea to try and make the playoffs because once you get in you never know what will happen. This echoed what Theo said in his presser at the end of the season.

- Ricketts echoed that and said they wouldn't be "tearing anything down" (ie: no full rebuild).

- Jed wouldn't comment on 2021 payroll for offseason strategic reasons. When asked if any significant salary players might be non-tendered he also wouldn't comment for the same reason.

- Jed said he's been disappointed with the offense, years ago they thought they had built an offensive juggernaut but it didn't work out that way, and this offseason he's looking to make moves to change up the offensive.

- Jed said there's no extension talks currently happening with any players. He also said that the Cubs have tried to make extension deals with some of the core guys in the past but have been unable to.

Sounds to me like the core guys are headed to free agency in 2021, some could be dealt this winter, and guys like Darvish are likely staying put due to no rebuild happening.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I think he's a name to watch, though I think there's a lot of really great guys out there. The D'Backs front office is really interesting, but both Porter and Sawadye have stipulations in their contract that states they can block their movement unless it's for a VP spot. So I think there's definitely enough roadblocks there that mean it's not going to make either guy presumptive favorites. Sawayde also, kind of does what Dan Kantrovitz does with the Cubs, so he might be too much on the player development side of things

The Rays have some really interesting guys in their front office, and guys who might really add a new concept into the front office. Bendix and Newell could get some traction there (or I hope especially Newell does. He's a stats guru). But while I like Porter and Sawadye for sure, I do think it'll be a pretty open search, as the Cubs have put little timeframe on it.
    Thanks for the leg work on candidates, 1908. I'm assuming the hiring will be very quick either way.

Thanks for the leg work on candidates, 1908. I'm assuming the hiring will be very quick either way.
    Eh, I don't necessarily believe that. The Cubs said they didn't have a timeline on things. If they're waiting on the Diamondbacks to give permission on Porter or Sawadye they could pull in a few other guys and then still interview those 2.

I expect it'll probably take a little bit. Consider that the Mets had a better idea that they would need a GM and still haven't gotten that locked down.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Eh, I don't necessarily believe that. The Cubs said they didn't have a timeline on things. If they're waiting on the Diamondbacks to give permission on Porter or Sawadye they could pull in a few other guys and then still interview those 2.

I expect it'll probably take a little bit. Consider that the Mets had a better idea that they would need a GM and still haven't gotten that locked down.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Didn't the Mets just announce that they will not have a president of baseball operations, and will only being hiring a GM?

If the new Cubs GM is going to have any input on who gets NT, I would think that they are going to move quickly on that hiring. If the new GM isn't going to have that kind of input, why even hire one? Just let Jed pull the trigger on moves.

Didn't the Mets just announce that they will not have a president of baseball operations, and will only being hiring a GM?

If the new Cubs GM is going to have any input on who gets NT, I would think that they are going to move quickly on that hiring. If the new GM isn't going to have that kind of input, why even hire one? Just let Jed pull the trigger on moves.
    I think it would be nearly impossible to have an outside hire GM in place in time to make tender decisions by next Wednesday. Jed made it sound yesterday like they had barely started the GM search.

At whatever point they hire a GM there will be lots of decisions where input will be needed. I think Jed knows what he has to do next week, but thereís going to be big decisions all winter and in the years moving forward where heíd want a GM from the outside pushing him. Ultimately, Jed pulls the trigger now but why not being in another smart person from another organization to help?

I doubt the Cubs will have much time in the next week and change to both hire a new GM, have them look at everything, sit down, develop a plan for a brand new organization, and have credible input on NT situations. At the earliest, the Cubs won't be able to hire a GM until after the T-giving holiday and the non-tender date is December 2nd. Meaning they can't really start the process until Monday next week.

Do you really think they'll be able to conduct a full process, as well as things like, get the Arizona Diamondbacks to agree to let FO people go (if it's indeed a Porter) in...12 hours? Because if they started at 7am on Monday November the 30th, they could sign someone like Porter by 7pm then. Then let him come in for 24 hours and have input and then try to figure out a trade on Wednesday before 4pm. So at best, if you could somehow, create a situation in which you can hire a GM in 12 hours, you're talking about like, 24 hours of input. So even in the impossible, it amounts to nothing. We are well past a GM adding to the NT deadline.

What's more likely is that the Cubs know they can't get a GM in, in any sort of realistic situation, to come in and handle the non-tender deadline and this will be on Hoyer alone. The market will likely be very slow developing after that, so the Cubs will have plenty of time to sit down, hire a real guy they really want, and then allow them to take stock of the Cubs, the financials, and the system better.

This is still Hoyer's show. The GM is another voice in the room.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 11-24-2020 at 11:51 AM.

I understand what you are both saying. Apparently I'm alone here, but if I was the new GM, I would want to help decide who gets arb and who get NT. These are very big decisions that need to be made by next week.

I'm quite sure that Jed is 100% capable of making that decision without a GM's input, but I would want to have some input if my job is going to be to run the players that are there. I'd like to help decide who's there, and who's not there.

Not for one second would it surprise me if they hired a GM before the NT day.

To add....I certainly understand that new GM's get the players they get. It is what it is. Maybe they won't hire anybody until Jed makes all or most of the roster decisions. I'm more thinking from the new GM's position of thought.
    Last edited by thawv; 11-24-2020 at 12:40 PM.

I understand what you are both saying. Apparently I'm alone here, but if I was the new GM, I would want to help decide who gets arb and who get NT. These are very big decisions that need to be made by next week.

I'm quite sure that Jed is 100% capable of making that decision without a GM's input, but I would want to have some input if my job is going to be to run the players that are there. I'd like to help decide who's there, and who's not there.

Not for one second would it surprise me if they hired a GM before the NT day.

To add....I certainly understand that new GM's get the players they get. It is what it is. Maybe they won't hire anybody until Jed makes all or most of the roster decisions. I'm more thinking from the new GM's position of thought.
    If you start a new job next month then you donít get to have input into decisions that they make this month. It doesnít mean you canít help them make good decisions next month.

I think theyíve had a plan for the NT decisions for months now. Itís Jed (and Ricketts) call. The GM will have input into every decision after they are hired.
    Last edited by CP_414; 11-24-2020 at 12:50 PM.

If you start a new job next month then you donít get to have input into decisions that they make this month. It doesnít mean you canít help them make good decisions next month.

I think theyíve had a plan for the NT decisions for months now. Itís Jed (and Ricketts) call. The GM will have input into every decision after they are hired.
    That's a fair assessment.