Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576
Results 1,126 to 1,134 of 1134
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Sadly, I have finally accepted the new reality of the Cubs. If feels like the Cubs heading back to the pre-Theo years.
    If that was the case, then it would of been a dumb move by Jed to stay and accept a 5 yr deal just to preside over a team that going to be irrelevant because Rickett not going to spend anymore like the previous owners in the past.
    Only way Jed gets out from Theo shadow is by putting together a winning team himself, and only way to do that is by having a healthy payroll.
    I'm sure he dont want to be known as to only be able to put together a winning team with Theo running it.

Same with whomever takes over as GM, I hope and think theyll find out first if they're just along for the ride to keep payroll down or will have money flexibility to put together a winning team

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    If that was the case, then it would of been a dumb move by Jed to stay and accept a 5 yr deal just to preside over a team that going to be irrelevant because Rickett not going to spend anymore like the previous owners in the past.
    Only way Jed gets out from Theo shadow is by putting together a winning team himself, and only way to do that is by having a healthy payroll.
    I'm sure he dont want to be known as to only be able to put together a winning team with Theo running it.

Same with whomever takes over as GM, I hope and think theyll find out first if they're just along for the ride to keep payroll down or will have money flexibility to put together a winning team

Again, it's been explained many times as to why Jed Hoyer would take over this franchise even if spending was being slashed immediately. It's a 5 year deal, not a one year deal. No one has suggested salary will be cut forever, but in the interim, it's likely to be heavily slashed. It was heavily slashed when Theo got here, too. It went from $125m down to under $90m for his first season.

Jed Hoyer's been apart of the Theo Epstein transition team for nearly 2 full decades. I have a feeling he would love nothing more than to pull a "Theo" and rebuild the Cubs back into a winner, and I don't think that would scare him off in the least. I do think he'll eventually get a healthy payroll again. But it isn't coming this year. And again, I don't think that's that scary to someone who's been around this before and has been apart of this before.

In other news, the MLB season does not look to be on track for a 162 game year. In an article by the NY Daily News:

As one club exec told me: “Even if there’s vaccines available next month, with all the COVID restrictions there’s no way we’re going to be able to have spring training in February and March.”
    It goes on to say:

More likely, we’re looking at spring training in April and a regular “fannies in the seats” season beginning sometime in May — likely shortened to around 130 games, which will mean more lost revenue for the clubs. It’s all making for an even gloomier outlook for 2022. With the collective bargaining agreement expiring at the end of next season, Manfred finds himself dealing with multiple internal warring parties between the large and small market clubs.
    There's going to be a shortened season this year, and teams are scared to death of next year. We're in a terrible time for spending. This is going to be a long, drawn out off season, with little movement until somethings clear up. Buckle in.

Source: NY Daily News

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Again, it's been explained many times as to why Jed Hoyer would take over this franchise even if spending was being slashed immediately. It's a 5 year deal, not a one year deal. No one has suggested salary will be cut forever, but in the interim, it's likely to be heavily slashed. It was heavily slashed when Theo got here, too. It went from $125m down to under $90m for his first season.

Jed Hoyer's been apart of the Theo Epstein transition team for nearly 2 full decades. I have a feeling he would love nothing more than to pull a "Theo" and rebuild the Cubs back into a winner, and I don't think that would scare him off in the least. I do think he'll eventually get a healthy payroll again. But it isn't coming this year. And again, I don't think that's that scary to someone who's been around this before and has been apart of this before.
    The person I responded to said that he felt the team was going back to the pre Theo years...

Pre Theo years, Owners weren't all that generous with the payroll most of those years.

I dont expect Rickett to become cheap the next 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    The person I responded to said that he felt the team was going back to the pre Theo years...

Pre Theo years, Owners weren't all that generous with the payroll most of those years.

I dont expect Rickett to become cheap the next 5 years

He said he felt like we were headed back to pre-Theo era. Not staying there forever.

And truly, not much the Ricketts have done has been very different than pre-Theo era spending, either, especially the 2000's. The amount the Cubs has spent is more, but its inflation. They were a top-5 payroll a handful of times prior to Theo, too.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

2020 Chicago Cubs Offseason Thread

In other news, the MLB season does not look to be on track for a 162 game year. In an article by the NY Daily News:

It goes on to say:

There's going to be a shortened season this year, and teams are scared to death of next year. We're in a terrible time for spending. This is going to be a long, drawn out off season, with little movement until somethings clear up. Buckle in.

Source: NY Daily News
    That’s a bummer but not unexpected. We might see a lot of the offseason trade/signing activity pushed back into March or April this year.

If teams can’t have fans in seats in April, I’d imagine a 130 game season would be better for owners. They’d save a lot of payroll money and they’d have more games in the later part of the season when you can get more fans into parks. If the vaccines are effective and distributed in the first quarter of 2021 you might be able to have full ballparks in the 2nd half of the season.

Maybe a late start helps the trade value of some of the Cubs guys because it brings the financial cost down.
    Last edited by CP_414; Today at 01:49 PM.

He said he felt like we were headed back to pre-Theo era. Not staying there forever.
    That is exactly what I meant. I wasn't 100% clear on my thoughts, my apology.

----------------------

As for the shorten season, maybe it's a good thing the Cubs are not going to spend. I think teams will need to be mindful of the money they spend this offseason. Maybe the top end FA this year and next off-season are not going to get as much as they think. IDK if teams are going to want to commit to contracts pass three years.
    Screw sabermetics.

----------------------
    NP..
    pre Theo ERA covers over 100 years..lol

----------------------

As for the shorten season, maybe it's a good thing the Cubs are not going to spend. I think teams will need to be mindful of the money they spend this offseason. Maybe the top end FA this year and next off-season are not going to get as much as they think. IDK if teams are going to want to commit to contracts pass three years.
    This is the exact market TO spend in. Teams are being cheap and salaries are being depressed. You can literally walk into FA right now and buy a championship.

Teams don't need to be half as mindful as they're acting. The Cubs, as well. Walk into this offseason, flex your muscle and buy a winner. It's the single best time to do so. And the worst single time to sell, in a flooded economy.

Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576