Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    I really don't think this year needs any sort of asterisk. The Dodgers were the best team in MLB by almost any metric and they had to last through what was probably the most difficult playoff task asked; they had no home field advantage, they had extra rounds and extra games. So while the regular season was shorter, I don't think in any way the Dodgers didn't earn this one.

If someone odd like the Reds had won it, with their record, I think it'd be fair to question the 2020 season. The Dodgers won, they were a great team. Good on them.

And as I've said, I think if you give this year 15-20 years, no one's going to really remember it, especially the younger crowd. We always put too much importance in history on the things we'll "never forget". We always forget.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I really don't think this year needs any sort of asterisk. The Dodgers were the best team in MLB by almost any metric and they had to last through what was probably the most difficult playoff task asked; they had no home field advantage, they had extra rounds and extra games. So while the regular season was shorter, I don't think in any way the Dodgers didn't earn this one.

If someone odd like the Reds had won it, with their record, I think it'd be fair to question the 2020 season. The Dodgers won, they were a great team. Good on them.

And as I've said, I think if you give this year 15-20 years, no one's going to really remember it, especially the younger crowd. We always put too much importance in history on the things we'll "never forget". We always forget.
    It would help to be more remembered if the Dodgers follow it up with another title or titles in those 15-20 years. Think of the 1999 Spurs in the NBA, if they don't follow that up with 4 more titles in 15 years is that 99 title almost forgotten? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    It would help to be more remembered if the Dodgers follow it up with another title or titles in those 15-20 years. Think of the 1999 Spurs in the NBA, if they don't follow that up with 4 more titles in 15 years is that 99 title almost forgotten? Probably.
    Good point.

This was 60 games though, it's so much different than previously. I think this one gets remembered pretty fondly and the "asterisk worthy" will be a part of it for quite some time.

I get analytics are a big part of baseball but teams need to stop thinking analytics are the end all to making baseball decisions. Kevin Cash quite possibly cost his team a chance at winning because he trusted numbers on a piece of paper over his own players. Not saying to stop using analytics as a tool, I'm saying don't make analystics the end all to decision making.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    I get analytics are a big part of baseball but teams need to stop thinking analytics are the end all to making baseball decisions. Kevin Cash quite possibly cost his team a chance at winning because he trusted numbers on a piece of paper over his own players. Not saying to stop using analytics as a tool, I'm saying don't make analystics the end all to decision making.
    Being it was the Rays, analytics no doubt played a big part in his decision, but letís not forget that over managing during the postseason is one of baseballís most enduring traditions.

2020 MLB Playoffs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Being it was the Rays, analytics no doubt played a big part in his decision, but letís not forget that over managing during the postseason is one of baseballís most enduring traditions.
    Right. Analytics arenít the problem. Every team uses them and the most successful teams are some of the strongest users of data. They just made a questionable choice.

The Dodgers are as analytical as anyone. Playing the percentages is a big reason why the Rays were in game 6 of the World Series. They have a system and they follow it and itís been incredibly successful for them. With them only scoring 1 run the odds of them winning that game werenít great no matter what they did with Snell. Iíd have left him in the game longer, but I think they probably lose either way.
    Last edited by CP_414; Today at 11:02 AM.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516