Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post Mortem 2020

That was a letdown. Thursday started out good and then they blew it, and yesterday they never really got any momentum going.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals

They need to blow this up. I donít think itís in the budget to sign a big free agent. I havenít even looked to see who would be available..

Quote Originally Posted by LF85 View Post
    They need to blow this up. I donít think itís in the budget to sign a big free agent. I havenít even looked to see who would be available..
    If NL keeps the DH, Cruz would be a big get for one more go with this team.

Then everyone is gone for the most part and we can roll with our young guys

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Get it out of your head that anything remotely significant will happen this off season other than MAYBE Yadi and Waino coming back. The Dewitts will cry poor cause of Covid

Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    Get it out of your head that anything remotely significant will happen this off season other than MAYBE Yadi and Waino coming back. The Dewitts will cry poor cause of Covid
    Yep.. I donít see us doing anything big at all..

At the end of next year, we have Dex, Carp, and Miller all coming off the books. This year, we take Molina and Waino off.

Molina wants a two year contract. He'll probably get it. (but certainly less than 20 mil per year)

Waino will sign another one year contract.

I would guess that those two contracts put us in the $135mil range. We could spend some, but not a ton.

2021 free agency will certainly be an exciting one for the Cardinals. If the NL adopts the DH... I could see them making a run at Freddie Freeman.

One thing about this year, I could see the Cards opting to let Molina walk, and using that money to try to get Realmuto. I don't really want that, I'd rather save up money.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    At the end of next year, we have Dex, Carp, and Miller all coming off the books. This year, we take Molina and Waino off.

Molina wants a two year contract. He'll probably get it. (but certainly less than 20 mil per year)

Waino will sign another one year contract.

I would guess that those two contracts put us in the $135mil range. We could spend some, but not a ton.

2021 free agency will certainly be an exciting one for the Cardinals. If the NL adopts the DH... I could see them making a run at Freddie Freeman.

One thing about this year, I could see the Cards opting to let Molina walk, and using that money to try to get Realmuto. I don't really want that, I'd rather save up money.
    We need to give our young guys a chance. We hold onto bader...why?

We could have had Voit at 1st but never gave him a chance. Kelly at catcher, Qeaver in the rotation. We could have been very good for very cheap. But we keep making god awful decisions. I love Goldy. But I'd rather have Voit, Kelly and Weaver.

Our best move in the last 10 years was not bring back Pujols.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Guaranteed contracts

Goldie 26 million
    Carpenter 18.5 million
    DeJong 4 million
    Edman .6 million
    Fowler 16.5 million
    Mikolas 17 million
    Miller 12 million
    Martinez 12 million
    Kim 4 million

110 million

Options
    Wong 12.5 million

Assuming that is picked up, that takes us to 122.5 million.

Arbitration

Gant and Flaherty are the only people we have going to arb. I am going to estimate 3.5 million for each. That brings total to 129.5 million.

Then add minimum roster guys -

Carlson 600k
    Brebbia 600k
    Reyes 600k
    Bader 600k
    Hicks 600k
    Gallegos 600k
    Webb 600k
    O'Neill 600k
    Ponce 600k
    Dean 600k
    Helsley 600k
    Gomber 600k
    Thomas 600k
    Knizner 600k
    Fernandez 600k
    Cabrera 600k
    Whitley 600k

So add another 10 million or so for the minimum guys so about 140 million total is on the books for 2021.

We have several holes to fill and probably not much financial flexibility. I'd guess opening day payroll is down from the 2020 opening day payroll (which was about 170 million) to around 150 million. So we have 10 million to work with

I would love to grab Joc Pederson on a 1 year deal. let him start vs righties in LF and Carlson can play CF those games, and then Bader can play CF with Carlson in LF vs lefties. Pederson was TERRIBLE this year but has a good track record vs righties overall. I think he's a huge change of scenery candidate.

This organization doesn't have a clue anymore. Been heading this downhill direction for a while now. They let go of young players who they dont give time to. And the give time to players who everyone knows is not a starting mlb player. A lot of players they have traded away would be badly needed in this pathetic lineup. They give dumb contracts away to players who have a good couple months which backfires. They do not have a clue on how to develop young hitters. Maybe they do....they just come up here and suck or dont play and leave and become all stars. Way too many holes and 7th and 8th type of hitters in this lineup. Wong...great defensively but not much of a hitter. Goldschmidt....hit for a good average but where's the power numbers??? Dejong...ever since his contract he has not been great. No power #'s at all thisnyear and struggled at the end of the last year. Carpenter...another contract and more downhill numbers. Pathetic to say the least. Dude is washed up. Molina....fine with him. Not much to say. Would like if they gave him another 2 year contract. But need to develop a catcher sometime. Dont think knizer is the answer either. Fowler...another contract and poor performance. Cant wait until he's gone. Bader...dude they have hung onto too long. He's basically a bench player. No hitting skills what so ever. And why cant this dude steal a base? O'Neil....another dude either a bench player or you move him or release him. Dont think he will ever be a starter. Thomas....another young player which i really dont see much talent in. Bench or trade or release. Edmond....little bit of a decrease from last year. But he at least shows some potential. Keep him. Miller....good bench player but nothing more than that. His numbers fell off from the beginning of the year. Carlson....book is still out. But definitely a keeper for now. Needs a couple more years to make a judgement. Last in mlb in home runs.....28th in runs.....and 22nd in team average. Puke at those numbers. Luckily the pitching was good enough. Miracle they even made the playoffs. Need more hitters with some hr potential. Seems like thats the only way teams score anymore. Good luck with that mess. A blow up seems about right.
    Last edited by scottyballgame; 10-06-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Free Agent market is quite thin this year. Might have to trade some SP to get a middle of the order bat.

Michael Brantley and Ozuna are available but I can't see Brantley leaving HOU or Ozuna coming back after we let him walk.

Again, if we make a move for a bat it will probably be via trade.

Randy Arozarena.. Theres another one we gave up on.. Dude is killing it in the playoffs..

Liberatore better be a stud lol

One for sure is search for a new hitting coach if Jeff Albert gets fired.... I know its a stretch but we could trade for Albert Pujols so he can be a player-coach for 2 years b4 retire as a player and be a coach full time.... Of course the Angels could send us money to pay Pujols ...

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mitchwolf65 View Post
    One for sure is search for a new hitting coach if Jeff Albert gets fired.... I know its a stretch but we could trade for Albert Pujols so he can be a player-coach for 2 years b4 retire as a player and be a coach full time.... Of course the Angels could send us money to pay Pujols ...

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Pujols has like a 10 year personal services clause in his contract with the Angels once he retires. Have to figure that aspect out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast