Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    I won't even count out our FO deciding to start Kopech at AAA in the Spring to get him the innings he needs that he might not get at the MLB level.

Again I'm a Kopech guy who thinks he's our future 1 or 2 in the rotation, but he's not going to be rushed in after missing 2 full years.
    We will see...........

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    They babied Cease since they got him and how's that worked out? He's at 85 pitches by the third inning without any control...If you are going to baby someone ...then fine let them start in the minors, otherwise let him (Kopech) pitch since he's been cleared by everyone involved for a full work load....BTW they monitor everyone's work load (pitch count) so that's nothing new.
    Cease has over 130 innings now at the big league level. I believe his service time clock has already started. We know that plays into things too.

Kopech has 14 IP at the big league level.

I do recall the Sox saying that Kopech was cleared to throw, without limitations, in spring training, but I think they were referring to him being able to throw as hard as he wanted. I didn’t interpret that to mean they were going to let him pitch without innings or pitch limitations. I believe that is evidenced by the fact he only threw 1 inning in ST, albeit at 100 mph.

Pitchers do need to build up endurance, often referred to as “stretching them out”. I don’t know if they are going to start him in the rotation or out of the pen, but they are most likely going to ease him back with some sort of innings limitation. We have no idea how effective he will be at the outset. That’s why I could see him starting in the pen, used as a middle/long reliever, with some spot starts, or even a stint in the minors to build him back up.

I do not see him throwing more than 100 innings for the Sox this year.

I see him throwing 150 plus....

I’d be extremely happy.... and surprised.

I see two things happening with Kopech, we either sign another starter and he goes to the minors to get stretched out, or he’s the 5th starter. I don’t see any scenario is is used in our bullpen this year. People also need to stop bringing up Lopez as an option. He’s not starting unless there’s an injury. He is the guy we should see if a move to the pen boosts his stock. It’s happened with plenty of guys(Liam Hendricks included)

To me it will be very interesting to see how our pitchers react and perform with the new pitching coach....Lopez ,Cease and Kopech in particular....

Coops time had passed awhile back....

Also I forgot to mention........I believe Dunning had surgery after Kopech, like 6 months later and he pitched last year, albeit in a shortened season....I could be wrong on the timing but that's what i recall......

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    Well right now at least one of Cease, Kopech, or Lopez will be out of the pen. And if they do add another SP via FA or trade then 2 out of the 3 will. Who do you think is more likely to go between Cease and Kopech?

And not pitching since 2018 contributed with the fact that he has never pitched over 140 innings in a single year definitely means they'll be watching his workload.

I'm all for Kopech man but he has quite a hill to climb before we can pencil him in as an every day starter for a full season.
    One of the rare times we agree.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

An interesting concept that I'd entertain if we don't decided to add Bauer or a veteran, would be to Stretch out Kopech and Crochet as openers. So a rotation of Giolito/Keuchel/Lynn/Cease/(Kopech/Crochet).

Say you face a dominant lefty lineup, you start Crochet, and if you face a dominant righty lineup you go with Kopech. Those 2 could easily get us 3-4 strong innings each. All while prepping them to be full time starters in 2022. A Kopech/Crochet combo could essentially be an additional Ace in your rotation, and with shorter outings, they wouldn't even have to deal with those laboring pitch counts.

And with Reynaldo, you can use him to mop up the games where are starters get knocked out early.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    An interesting concept that I'd entertain if we don't decided to add Bauer or a veteran, would be to Stretch out Kopech and Crochet as openers. So a rotation of Giolito/Keuchel/Lynn/Cease/(Kopech/Crochet).

Say you face a dominant lefty lineup, you start Crochet, and if you face a dominant righty lineup you go with Kopech. Those 2 could easily get us 3-4 strong innings each. All while prepping them to be full time starters in 2022. A Kopech/Crochet combo could essentially be an additional Ace in your rotation, and with shorter outings, they wouldn't even have to deal with those laboring pitch counts.
    I like this idea. In today’s day and age, I think it is highly feasible. The only potential issue would be roster space, because you would be assigning 6 players as “starters” and you’d have 1 less in the bullpen or position player. But it could be worked out. Has there been any determination as to active roster sizes for this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    I like this idea. In today’s day and age, I think it is highly feasible. The only potential issue would be roster space, because you would be assigning 6 players as “starters” and you’d have 1 less in the bullpen or position player. But it could be worked out. Has there been any determination as to active roster sizes for this season?
    If they’re throwing 3 innings, maybe they can give a BP appearance a couple days prior to starts. Or say one goes 1-2 innings he’s available. I definitely thought about that though. I think it could work.

Bauer wants to pitch every fourth day he said once again.

To be honest I can’t really see many teams agreeing to that demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast