Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Breaking news....."The White Sox release Yolmer Sanchez".....Ya know, the teacher's pet! I just can't believe it....

I wonder how we will use Kopech, Cease, and Crochet if we decide to sign Bauer.

I'd assume the rotation would be Giolito/Bauer/Keuchel/Dunning. Does Kopech come back as a starter. If so does that make Cease a BP option. Or do we use Cease as the 5th guy and use Kopech and Crochet out of the pen. That would save us a lot of money for something other than BP if we went that route.

LHP: Bummer/Crochet/Fry
    RHP: Kopech/Marshall/Heuer/Foster/Cordero/Reynaldo

Between Marshall/Kopech/Bummer/Crochet that's a pretty nice Pen to close out games.

2020 Offseason Thread

I honestly donít see us in the Bauer race. As much as Iíd like us to be I think his AAV we have to compete with gets too high for us. We made a ton of signings last year but none of them topped 20 million. Bauer might easily see 30.
    Last edited by Pierzynski4Prez; 10-31-2020 at 10:41 PM.

From a Sox perspective, $30 mil for a year is way above anything they have done in the past. Closest was the Machado deal or whatever they may or may not have officially offered Bryce Harper.
    However, when you think about the offer they made to Zack Wheeler, which if memory serves was for 5/120? Thatís $24mil/year with a hell of a lot of risk on the back half.
    If you think about 1/$30mil for Bauer, it essentially removes the risk. But what it also does is gives us a 1 year deal on a guy pitching for a contract, and allows you to move Crochet and Kopech to the pen and buy some time for either or both to be groomed for the rotation. Both of those 2 present concerns about going directly to the rotation as neither have been able to build up starter endurance yet.
    The last part, may revolve around how much urgency there is to try to win a WS as soon as next season, considering TLR is not going to be here forever, and JR isnít either. Maybe JR would be more willing to do a 1 year high AAV for Bauer.

A lot depends on what other teams offer, but if Bauer is truly interested in a 1 year contract, I think that levels the field for the Sox. It also would perhaps lower the odds of Bauer signing with Boston(as has been rumored), as they are obviously more than a year away from contending.

2020 Offseason Thread

Assuming we get priced out of the Bauer sweepstakes, what do you all think as Ozuna as our top FA grab this offseason?

MLB Trade Rumors predicts us to win Springer at 5/125 with Ozuna going for 4/72. I lean towards the Ozuna contract if itíll help us improve whatever SP we can target.

Brantley might not have the longer contract length, but his AAV might not be too far off Ozuna.

Tanaka, Q, Paxton some good backup options for our #3 if we can pair with Ozuna maybe. Vaughn and Ozuna in, Mazera and EE out.

Cease, Dunning, kopech can work for the 4-5 spots with Lopez and Rodon unloaded for anything.

Heíd be a DH for us. Doesnít really make much sense to spend there with Abreu, Eloy, Grandal, and Vaughn in the near future. If we go expensive, itís Springer. If we go good solid veteran with good playoff experience, we go Brantley, and if we go practical we platoon Joc/Engel, which might honestly be the smartest option so we could spend on pitching. Why spend on hitting when we are stacked at 8 out of 9 positions. If Jerry is serious about a ship, he gives Hahn the green light for Bauer and 1-2 power RHP relievers. Those are our holes. We have the star hitters already

Three Silver Sluggers in Abreu, Anderson, and Jimenez. A healthy Moncada, full year of Madrigal and anything we get out of Grandal, Robert, the DH, and RF. Offensively I do not worry. I think Tony and his eventual coaching staff will take care of the fundamentals on defense too.

Pitching should be our focus over the next 3-5 years. Nothing but pitching and more of it please.

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Three Silver Sluggers in Abreu, Anderson, and Jimenez. A healthy Moncada, full year of Madrigal and anything we get out of Grandal, Robert, the DH, and RF. Offensively I do not worry. I think Tony and his eventual coaching staff will take care of the fundamentals on defense too.

Pitching should be our focus over the next 3-5 years. Nothing but pitching and more of it please.
    Agreed! 3 silver sluggers is pretty exciting

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post

100%. We are the most talented team in baseball. We just need to fine tune our craft. Less Kís, more patience at the plate, better base running, and simple fielding fundamentals is what needs work. Personnel wise, we need 1 Veteran Ace to pair with Giolito, and Keuchel, and we need a dominant RHP out of the pen, unless they use Kopech there. Putting Crochet in our pen will be huge because he could have a Hader impact.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    100%. We are the most talented team in baseball. We just need to fine tune our craft. Less Kís, more patience at the plate, better base running, and simple fielding fundamentals is what needs work. Personnel wise, we need 1 Veteran Ace to pair with Giolito, and Keuchel, and we need a dominant RHP out of the pen, unless they use Kopech there. Putting Crochet in our pen will be huge because he could have a Hader impact.
    Among them. Dodgers, Rays, Padres, Braves all in that conversation.

What is the setup and protocol going to be for winter meetings? Iím assuming they will be remote, but have there been any details regarding dates and how it is going to work?

Both Winter Meetings and General Manager meetings have been canceled.

Interesting, because those events usually serve as the catalyst to get the ball rolling for FA signings.

One interesting item regarding Bauer, is his desire to pitch every 4th day. How does a team manage that issue? You obviously canít go with a 4 man rotation, because that would require 3 other starters to do the same thing. The other option would be to slot Bauer 1 spot forward, every time thru the rotation, which would require each pitcher to work on 5 days rest on occasion. I havenít gone thru the math yet, but I believe having a bullpen day every other time or so thru the rotation could also be used and eliminate the need for a 5th starter.

Any thoughts on the best way to accommodate this?

I believe every 4th start for the other 3/4 starters would require an extra day of rest (not accounting for off days. But, if you can somehow align your rotation as best you can with using the 5th spot (either 5th starter or bullpen day), you may be able to manage your staff with only 4 starters, thus eliminating a weak part of your rotation and adding over all strength to your rotation. This could also save you 5th starter salary that can be used elsewhere, making ponying up the money Bauer would cost, more palatable.

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast