Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Wonder if Hahn is truly interested in LaRussa, or if this is something JR is pushing on Hahn.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Some might have said that Jim Leyland was old and out of touch with the game when he came out of retirement to coach the Tigers. He was pretty good for them.

Reports coming out that the Angels granted La Russa permission to talk with the White Sox. Tony La Russa might be old, but he is a Managerial Legend. I don't think any of us should be mad if he ends up our next coach. I'd think we will be smart enough to have a young replacement on deck if we go this route too.

I still think Age Wise, Bochy would be a smarter long term option, but I'd be lying if I said that Bochy has a better resume than La Russa.
    The only difference in my opinion is how much the game has evolved even since Leyland was the Tigers manager. Bullpen, using "openers", the amount of shifting defenses etc... I am not saying La Russa isn't in tune with the modern game. I am just saying I feel there are better fits.

What do people think about Jim Thome as a candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by Spot Starter View Post
    The only difference in my opinion is how much the game has evolved even since Leyland was the Tigers manager. Bullpen, using "openers", the amount of shifting defenses etc... I am not saying La Russa isn't in tune with the modern game. I am just saying I feel there are better fits.
    La Russa did retire after winning the World Series, so it's not like he left the game cuz the game passed him by. I get what you are saying though. I just think he's the Bill Belichick of MLB Managers.

In La Russa's Last WS, they won just about every playoff game in Bullpen games. Only the games Chris Carpenter started seemed to be starter heavy, and aside from his Complete Game Shut Out Win, he wasn't getting super deep either. If anything you could say La Russa's coaching ahead of the times. He used the crap out of the pen that entire postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    What do people think about Jim Thome as a candidate?
    Pass. Maybe as a bench coach to be future manager, but I want someone proven in that role right now. Pretty sure Hahn said they are looking for an experienced candidate as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
    Pass. Maybe as a bench coach to be future manager, but I want someone proven in that role right now. Pretty sure Hahn said they are looking for an experienced candidate as well.
    That's how I feel. Needs to be proven now. We are in win now mode. Have to maximize our window

That's how I feel. Needs to be proven now. We are in win now mode. Have to maximize our window
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
    Agreed

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

I would really like to see if Bochy or Sciosia are interested, and to a slightly lesser extent, LaRussa, and assign AJ Pierzynski as a bench coach to take over in 2 years. Maybe the timing for that to happen works out better with LaRussa.

in case folks forgot Tony LaRussa really started the opener movement.

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    in case folks forgot Tony LaRussa really started the opener movement.
    I think some forgot how elite he was. If you made a Mount Rushmore of coaches since 2000 in the 3 major sports, itd probably be Popovich, Belichick, and La Russa.

I think some forgot how elite he was. If you made a Mount Rushmore of coaches since 2000 in the 3 major sports, itd probably be Popovich, Belichick, and La Russa.
    hmmmm Joel Quenneville? Bruce Bochy? All candidates with Tony as is Steve Kerr. But the third has to be Phil Jackson

I saw a mock offseason for the Sox with Michael Conforto as a possible trade target for the RF spot. Any thoughts? I like that he's a left-handed hitter to provide some balance. They listed Cease and Stiever as the package back.

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    hmmmm Joel Quenneville? Bruce Bochy? All candidates with Tony as is Steve Kerr. But the third has to be Phil Jackson
    I didn't include hockey. As for NBA, I'd put Phil Jackson and Pop on an equal ground. I think if you give Pop the 90's Bulls and 2000's Lakers, he probably could have pulled off 11 ships as well. Their success came a little different. Phil walked into 2 of the greatest situations in coaching history getting to coach Prime MJ/Pippen, Kobe/Shaq and Kobe/Pau. Pop also had a great situation with Duncan/Robinson and Duncan/Parker/Manu. As for MLB managers, I'd go Torre/La Russa as 1A/1B and Bochy next. I think Torre and La Russa's dynasty were impressive in that they were almost always a contender. Bochys was impressive because he won with less, but outside of his championship years, the success wasn't nearly as impressive as those 2.

Either way, if we get Bochy, that would probably make me the happiest, because his age fits more with a long term dynasty run. If we get La Russa I'll be happy because I look at him as one of the greatest coaches of all time. If we get Hinch, I wouldn't be mad because I think he can do what he did for Houston here.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot Starter View Post
    I saw a mock offseason for the Sox with Michael Conforto as a possible trade target for the RF spot. Any thoughts? I like that he's a left-handed hitter to provide some balance. They listed Cease and Stiever as the package back.
    I like Conforto, but I think I'd first go for Springer, Brantley, Joc/Engel Platoon in that order.

Can't forget about Oscar Colas either in RF. The White Sox will always be considered front runners for top Cuban Specs.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast