Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 82 of 210 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 3137
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I also felt Reyes' influence on Amed Rosario was really bad
    Don't forget i was talking about the Reyes we had when him and David were playing together, not the washed up Reyes that we brought back when he was at the tale end of his career, and even that Reyes still had that infectious smile but we started seeing that smile less and less as the games went on and i think it started becoming more of a reality to him that he wasn't ever gonna be the Reyes of old again.

I meant more on performance than on character. Just always got the feeling since Rosario was always seen next to Reyes that he really took to Jose as a big brother. And I just felt Jose had so much more talent than he put out there so he probably didn't show Rosario an amazing work ethic. Since Rosario just never really showed improvement here.
    Amed definitely looked up to Reyes, because of his game, success at the position and the DR connection. At first I was concerned about this since Reyes' domestic violence incident (dropped in 2016) came just before Rosario's debut. But by the time they were together Reyes was working his *** off to come back and was putting on a very positive, contrite face. I lost a lot of respect for him after that incident but I never questioned his effort and I don't believe he impeded Rosario's progress.

Springer
    Lindor
    McNeil
    Alonzo
    Conforto
    Davis
    Nimmo
    McCann

If we can somehow pull that off and add a Brad Hand we are going to be watching something similar to the 2006 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Springer
    Lindor
    McNeil
    Alonzo
    Conforto
    Davis
    Nimmo
    McCann

If we can somehow pull that off and add a Brad Hand we are going to be watching something similar to the 2006 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree about the 2006 comp on offense but not on pitching. There was no one close to Jake at SP in 2006. Pedro was past his prime. So was Glavine and even in Glavineís prime I donít think he was as good as Jake is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    I agree about the 2006 comp on offense but not on pitching. There was no one close to Jake at SP in 2006. Pedro was past his prime. So was Glavine and even in Glavineís prime I donít think he was as good as Jake is right now.
    All of that is to say, the 2021 team could be better.

Porter and Sandy said they want to improve this team's depth and that's their biggest bugaboo imo. There isn't a lot of depth in the rotation. The bullpen needs better depth and the bench is mediocre after Dominic Smith (assuming they get a CF and Smith isn't your opening day LFer)

that lineup is awesome. The pitching with just one more good #4 starter to start the season as a caddy until Thor is back would be awesome. The bullpen with Hand added and Lugo going back to the bullpen would be devastating.

However, where is Dom Smith in that lineup. With no DH and no spot for him in the OF (assuming Nimmo, Springer and Conforto) and Alonso will play 1b most of the time, where does he go. He is just too good a hitter to sit and just be used off the bench. I hope we are dangling him only for a win win situation in an area of need - starting pitching, a 3b who is excellent defensively and offensively, back end bullpen piece (2nd closer stuff). Hey we have enough for the DH in 2022 when Cano is back because that is all he will be doing since I think McNeil will take over that spot with Mauricio banging on the door. And there will certainly be other mashers available in FA who can't quite measure up on the defensive side of the ball anymore - there always is.

I know a lot of you don't like the idea of Dom leaving, but hey he can't sit either because his bat is just too good. 2021 projections have him showing the best OPS on the team. His slugging at around .500 is 2nd only to Alonso and he is close to a .300 hitter who doesn't walk a lot but gets on base at around a .350. An .850 OPS deserves to play everyday and probably be in the 3, 4 or 5 spot in the order. I say "play me or trade me", however I would say only for a major league player of need in a position of need.

The 2021 team needs to be better than the 2006 team given how good the NL East is these days.

Apparently Sam McWilliams is a potential breakout candidate for us. Wonder if he becomes a huge pen arm for us

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    This is a head-scratcher. Drury sucks ***

Minor league deal and he would get it only if he makes the major league roster. He's a super utility guy who hasn't been good since injury but was pretty good player before the injury.

The move made sense though because our GM is Porter who is from Arizona and knew him.

And unlike Brodie, getting a former player of yours on a minor league deal is not a bad idea as he's familiar with him and know what he can and can't do. He was rising player in Arizona when Porter was there in 2016-2017 and then was hurt and sucked afterward. Porter probably knows he still has some talent and probably just needed time to recover fully from injury so why not buy low with a chance for high reward in a good depth piece.
    Last edited by kyubi256; 01-09-2021 at 01:12 AM.

Minor league deal and he would get it only if he makes the major league roster. He's a super utility guy who hasn't been good since injury but was pretty good player before the injury.

The move made sense though because our GM is Porter who is from Arizona and knew him.

And unlike Brodie, getting a former player of yours on a minor league deal is not a bad idea as he's familiar with him and know what he can and can't do. He was rising player in Arizona when Porter was there in 2016-2017 and then was hurt and sucked afterward. Porter probably knows he still has some talent and probably just needed time to recover fully from injury so why not buy low with a chance for high reward in a good depth piece.
    Clearly this guy was brought in to play at Syracuse this year. They needed to add players - both Porter and Alderson mentioned that - at the high levels of the minor league affiliates. Drury is that type of player. Hopefully the Mets don't need to reach down to bring him up this year.

Quote Originally Posted by newyorker4ever View Post
    Don't forget i was talking about the Reyes we had when him and David were playing together, not the washed up Reyes that we brought back when he was at the tale end of his career, and even that Reyes still had that infectious smile but we started seeing that smile less and less as the games went on and i think it started becoming more of a reality to him that he wasn't ever gonna be the Reyes of old again.
    Reyes should never have left the Mets - he would have gone down as one of the best for sure. Obviously, he was not the leader off the field as Wright was that. But there was never any doubt who the heart and soul was on the field. Like you, it was obvious Reyes was that. Lindor will be all of that for the Mets now - they just need to work a long contract with him so he stays for the remainder of his career. But maybe it is best to find out if he really can be a Mets player. I remember when Keith Hernandez was brought here in his walk year. He hated coming here at first. By the end of 1983 he loved New York, the team and the fans. Look how much he is still admired in the biggest city in the world.

We have a good crew of young leaders emerging. I can name several for sure. Alonso is a take charge guy, Conforto a bit quieter than that. Nimmo is infectious - a crowd pleaser. Dom Smith is dynamic, outspoken and adored. I am sure McCann will be quite the field general, calling the shots in the field as the catcher ought to do. But Lindor, he will be very special. People say this is deGrom's team now but a starting pitcher is a spectator 4 out of 5 games. The real leaders on the field and in the dugout usually are everyday players. And I never heard said that deGrom is a leader in the clubhouse. He has been the most valuable player on the team for several years, but Lindor may eclipse him very soon and I'm sure deGrom wouldn't mind that at all.