Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 207 of 210 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,105 of 3137
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hardball View Post
    I like what Rojas said earlier about the idea of a 6 man rotation. Not 6 in a row of starting someone different, but using 6 starters in a matchup move. Playing a team heavy with LHH throw Peterson or Lucchesi, or BOTH, and give the staff a rest. This is where a manager can make a huge difference.
    Iíve brought up this concept for a few years now, glad to see it might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Iíve brought up this concept for a few years now, glad to see it might happen.
    That is fine , but pitchers like DeGrom have to work every 5 days. I don't know about Carrasco or Stroman though

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    Does lucchesi have options? If not that seems like the most likely outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Luchesi does have options, as does Peterson and Yamamoto.
    I would not like to see Luchesi go to the BP. Same for Yamamoto.
    As far as the 6 man rotation....I don't like the idea. However, late in the season, it might be necessary and the Mets have the perfect scenario of Syndergaard coming back from surgery. So in terms of the concern about pitchers not having worked a lot last year,....maybe a 6 man rotation might be viable.

On the other hand, it might not be necessary. I would not start with the premise of a 6 man rotation and certainly not until Syndegaard comes back.

One thing the Mets have done with Carrasco and Walker is solidifying the rotation for future years. Probably Stroman will walk at the end of this year. Syndegaard most likely will sign a one year deal and then walk after 2022. By that time both Peterson and Luchesi should be more or less established and perhaps the Mets develop another starter or by that time sign a FA.

Guys like Lucchesi and Peterson are young and might morph into mid to top rotation guys. I see a case where Peterson could make Stroman redundant by next year. As for Thor, let's give this time - let's not worry about whether he walks the end of this year or next. We need to see if he is the Thor of 2015, 2016 (when yes he was the ace of the staff and deGrom the #2, until 2017 when Thor went out with injuries). Carrasco is a good number 2 and a top #3 pitcher on a good staff and we have him for a couple years more at least. Szapucki should be close too and some say he has a better arsenal than Peterson. A couple years down the road, another free agent SP, then it's time for Allen and Ginn and maybe some others.

As for the 5 SP rotation, based on Luis's comments, you can still do it and use Lucchesi or Peterson as the opener but alternate them as opener vs. middle man. Something like this: deGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Walker, Lucchesi/Peterson. Then next time through go with deGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Walker, Peterson/Lucchesi. After awhile you might be able to make a decision as to who the 5th starter should be. However, this also automatically puts an innings limit on Lucchesi and Peterson. Stroman, since he opted out last year, might need to be on an innings limit too. I don't see the need to limit deGrom, Carrasco or Walker.

Unless you put an in-game limit on them but still start them every 5th game (not every 5th day). The Mets bullpen ought to have someone who can handle an additional inning or 2 if Stroman, Carrasco, Walker or deGrom need an extra inning off. We know Lugo can fill that need when he gets back because he can go more than one inning an outing. Castro is another go who is accustomed to multiple innings per outing.

With a good bullpen (and the Mets appear to have one at least on paper and by prior performance), you can keep innings down just by shaving off an inning per game every so often. By having deGrom, for example, work 6 innings (every 3rd outing) that might keep him to around 180 innings and not approach 200 for the season.

Donít work ya heads on how they will use guys or if they will have a 6 man rotation because I can promise you this by years end the Mets will use 8-10 starters to get through the year and thatís if they are not too unlucky.

Always bank the fact that.

1 starter will miss significant time.

1 starter will miss a reasonable amount of time.

1 starter will miss a short amount of time.

1 starter will regress and or just plain be bad.

The Mets will get to Yamamoto and Oswalt or Kilome or Zapucki eventually.

Still not understanding anyone giving the offseason less than a B. The roster is so improved from previous years.

It's amazing how much the roster was improved without signing any of the top 6 free agents.

Lindor, Carrasco, McCann, May, Loup, Walker, Lucchesi, Yamamoto... All likely to play significant rolls and were very good additions.

Look at our bench... Jose Martinez, Villar, Pillar, Almora, Guillorme, Nido... These first 3 guys would be starters on a lot of teams, and have been. Our previous bench was a joke compared to this. It will be key when guys start missing time or need a rest.

What about the minor league depth when we need call-ups? We actually have ML players for a change... Drury, Peraza, Mallax Smith, Vizcaino, Hunter, Montgomery... All better options for the crap we've previously had to call up from the minors.

Add to that, Reid-Foley, McWilliams, Eickhoff...

Our depth is really ****ing good and great teams always have solid players to fill in when needed. It will be huge.

I feel like I'm just repeating myself lately but it's really satisfying seeing the moves we made and increasing the payroll despite not signing some of the top guys.

Last thing we need to cap off this offseason is a Lindor and Conforto extension. Pay these men and LFGM.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Still not understanding anyone giving the offseason less than a B. The roster is so improved from previous years.

It's amazing how much the roster was improved without signing any of the top 6 free agents.

Lindor, Carrasco, McCann, May, Loup, Walker, Lucchesi, Yamamoto... All likely to play significant rolls and were very good additions.

Look at our bench... Jose Martinez, Villar, Pillar, Almora, Guillorme, Nido... These first 3 guys would be starters on a lot of teams, and have been. Our previous bench was a joke compared to this. It will be key when guys start missing time or need a rest.

What about the minor league depth when we need call-ups? We actually have ML players for a change... Drury, Peraza, Mallax Smith, Vizcaino, Hunter, Montgomery... All better options for the crap we've previously had to call up from the minors.

Add to that, Reid-Foley, McWilliams, Eickhoff...

Our depth is really ****ing good and great teams always have solid players to fill in when needed. It will be huge.

I feel like I'm just repeating myself lately but it's really satisfying seeing the moves we made and increasing the payroll despite not signing some of the top guys.

Last thing we need to cap off this offseason is a Lindor and Conforto extension. Pay these men and LFGM.
    Well said, and my sentiments exactly.

Mets DFA Heredia to make room for Pillar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Mets DFA Heredia to make room for Pillar.
    Hopefully heredia sticks around in AAA

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    Hopefully heredia sticks around in AAA

Cots has him receiving 30 days pay of $161k. Seems like they have some other information that says he will be released.

Cots also has Brad Brach as the Mets being on the hook for his entire salary, which is odd. Maybe it was a guaranteed contract.

Keep in mind that the Mets may have a few doubleheaders and need a spot starter either on the pitching staff or fir a one-day call up from Syracuse.