Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 203 of 210 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 3137
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Considering the culture and funds are different, imo there should’ve been more done.

Missing out on the top free agents, Arenado, and other players is meh. Lindor and Carrasco was an A+ deal, everything else was pretty mediocre.

Guys like Villar, Pillar, Almora, Drury, etc are all solid signings but they hardly move the needle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is the starting pitching depth better?
    Is the roster depth overall better?

That moves the needle.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

B+

If they would of gotten Springer it would have be an A for sure.

But they went into the off season needing

Pen help - did not get any of the top guys I wanted in Hand/Hendricks/Rosenthal, but May, Loup are solid and a bunch of other guys that can help. Would like one more arm perhaps Jeffers.

Starting pitching - they went in with just deGrom and Peterson and now are 8 deep when Syndergaard comes up and have other options too.

CF - Again the big miss was Springer and I would of been ok with JBJ, but with no DH Nimmo has to be the CF and they have like 5 guys who can play defense and come in.

3rd base - Villar was a nice grab and I think he and Davis can handle it.

Catcher - They missed on Realmuto but I do like McCannn, just sucks that they missed on two of the big FA positional players.

RH hitters - I think they signed enough RH bats to fair better vs lefties this year.

SS - while it was not a big hole, Rosario was looking more and more like not the long term solution and Gimenez might of taken it from him eventually, now you have one of the best.

Over all filled in most of the holes, got a lot better depth and should be contenders not just for the division but WS contenders.

Now who will be the Lowry of the group?

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    B+

If they would of gotten Springer it would have be an A for sure.

But they went into the off season needing

Pen help - did not get any of the top guys I wanted in Hand/Hendricks/Rosenthal, but May, Loup are solid and a bunch of other guys that can help. Would like one more arm perhaps Jeffers.

Starting pitching - they went in with just deGrom and Peterson and now are 8 deep when Syndergaard comes up and have other options too.

CF - Again the big miss was Springer and I would of been ok with JBJ, but with no DH Nimmo has to be the CF and they have like 5 guys who can play defense and come in.

3rd base - Villar was a nice grab and I think he and Davis can handle it.

Catcher - They missed on Realmuto but I do like McCannn, just sucks that they missed on two of the big FA positional players.

RH hitters - I think they signed enough RH bats to fair better vs lefties this year.

SS - while it was not a big hole, Rosario was looking more and more like not the long term solution and Gimenez might of taken it from him eventually, now you have one of the best.

Over all filled in most of the holes, got a lot better depth and should be contenders not just for the division but WS contenders.

Now who will be the Lowry of the group?
    1. Springer wouldn't have made the team better offensively because it would have limited Nimmo's and Dom Smith's at bats and maybe saved a couple games defensively.
    2. The Cubs (for Bryant) and any of the other team who were willing to trade their third baseman wanted too much of our core youngsters (read as Mauricio, Baty, Alvarez).
    3. In hindsight, McCann was the much better choice over Realmuto who will lose a bit of time with his broken thumb and who knows how that will affect a catcher's game. Can he even catch this year? Besides, Realmuto said he did not want any part of New York, whether it be the Mets or Yanks.
    4. Our LH bats hit RH pitching very well in 2020. Having Pillar, who is very effective against LH pitching, playing on those days is an improvement for certain.

5. No question that we are better at SS now and in the foreseeable future. Gimenez was never considered a top prospect hitting-wise and Rosario would never be what Lindor is defensively. Lindor gives us top hitting and defense at a premier position.

This team, any way you choose to look at it, can win not only 94 games but could be on track for 100. Too bad the NL East is so competitive though so no one in the East will win 100 games. Just did my projection using my own econometric model, lol, and our pitchers could be good for 26 WAR and our hitters more than 26 WAR. Our defense will give back 3 or 4 WAR though. So all totalled it is about a 48 WAR team without another relief pitcher and assuming Lugo misses 2/3s of the season. That would be good for 98 to 100 wins.

No more spot starts from guys like Cory Oswalt, ect. No more of the Eric Campbell type getting regular pinch hitting at bats and a bunch of starts. We have actual ML depth. That is huge when we start seeing guys miss time.

Go get another solid RP and this offseason is done. They did a great job improving this team. It's only year 1 of the new ownership. This team looks good. Really hope we extend Lindor before the season now.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 02-19-2021 at 02:05 PM.

This off-season really does feel like they got a lot accomplished (even with missing on the Big 3), almost more than any other team besides the Padres and maybe Dodgers. Looking back, the only real regret I have is not pushing more for Springer, but alas. As currently assembled, I think we are a top 3 team in the NL right behind the two clubs I mentioned previously. Add another bullpen arm, reassess needs at the trade deadline, and hope this team can figure out to hit in the clutch and we should be in store for a very exciting season. (Also pray that they can agree on the universal DH at the last minute.)

B+/A- is what I would grade it. Also, please resign Lindor, Conforto by end of ST and next offseason give DeGrom every dollar he's rightfully earned (5 years/$200 mil maybe? 40 mil AAV). In 10 years, I'd love to see #5 and #48 hanging up in the rafters and Jake potentially getting enshrined into the HOF as a Met.

Quote Originally Posted by sieve00 View Post
    I am confused how did Sandy miss out

Blue Jays out paid for a known CHEATER. His contract will look more like Ellsbury's deal with the Yankees. We have a RF and an ave CF.

Good Bauer went to the Dodger for that foolish contract. He is an ave pitcher with a career 3.9 era. Is a total d bag and I am going to guess bad teammate considering he prob cost Cleveland a WS. It is comical that the top 2 CY pitchers last were ave pitchers in a weak division. What kind of numbers woudl Jake put up pitching against the AL and NL Central

Missed out on Hand and Hendricks because they didn't want to come here.

Realmoto was never coming to NY. Well published.

Sandy is trying to build a perennially winner not a one hit Oneder that is hampered by bad contracts in the future.
    This sums up exactly what is going on. And I want to add to that. Pitchers like Hendricks, Rosenthal and such DEMAND to be named the closer. We simply cannot give that too them. Rosenthal is headed to a team that just lost its closer. Hendricks will be the man in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    Wow can't believe we got Walker. I wanted him over Bauer to be honest...
    I wanted Bauer, but Walker $10M > Bauer $40

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Anthony DiComo
    @AnthonyDiComo

·
    2m
    Methinks the Mets under Steve Cohen will never say they're done, but if they are indeed mostly satisfied for the offseason, they've signed 10 free agents to MLB deals, completed seven trades and turned over nearly half their 40-man roster.

Well done, Sandy, Steve and Zack!

And, Steve Cohen will gladly eclipse the Luxury tax threshold at the deadline if the Mets are in the playoff hunt and a stud becomes available that could win us a WS

I give them an A-
    You took a rotation that was in shambles and added Stroman, Carrasco, Walker and Depth in Luchesee, Montgomery, Hunter, and such

With the signing of Pillar you improved the defense by shifting Nimmo to LF. Villar is an everything utility guy that will surprise people. Lindor at SS, McNiel at 2B (Thank you Cano) McCannon behind the plate make us solid up the middle.

Adding Trevor May might just be the best move IMO.

Another BP arm would be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hardball View Post
    I wanted Bauer, but Walker $10M > Bauer $40
    Bauer is the better pitcher but agreed. Walker 10M and at least 2 years is better than Bauer 40M and potential to leave next year

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    1. Springer wouldn't have made the team better offensively because it would have limited Nimmo's and Dom Smith's at bats and maybe saved a couple games defensively.
    2. The Cubs (for Bryant) and any of the other team who were willing to trade their third baseman wanted too much of our core youngsters (read as Mauricio, Baty, Alvarez).
    3. In hindsight, McCann was the much better choice over Realmuto who will lose a bit of time with his broken thumb and who knows how that will affect a catcher's game. Can he even catch this year? Besides, Realmuto said he did not want any part of New York, whether it be the Mets or Yanks.
    4. Our LH bats hit RH pitching very well in 2020. Having Pillar, who is very effective against LH pitching, playing on those days is an improvement for certain.

5. No question that we are better at SS now and in the foreseeable future. Gimenez was never considered a top prospect hitting-wise and Rosario would never be what Lindor is defensively. Lindor gives us top hitting and defense at a premier position.

This team, any way you choose to look at it, can win not only 94 games but could be on track for 100. Too bad the NL East is so competitive though so no one in the East will win 100 games. Just did my projection using my own econometric model, lol, and our pitchers could be good for 26 WAR and our hitters more than 26 WAR. Our defense will give back 3 or 4 WAR though. So all totalled it is about a 48 WAR team without another relief pitcher and assuming Lugo misses 2/3s of the season. That would be good for 98 to 100 wins.
    Why would lugo miss 2/3 of the season? He will start throwing end of March

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    No more spot starts from guys like Cory Oswalt, ect. No more of the Eric Campbell type getting regular pinch hitting at bats and a bunch of starts. We have actual ML depth. That is huge when we start seeing guys miss time.

Go get another solid RP and this offseason is done. They did a great job improving this team. It's only year 1 of the new ownership. This team looks good. Really hope we extend Lindor before the season now.
    Exactly this. You play the Yankees or Braves, and bona fide MLB players are coming off the bench to face your bullpen. We are sending out has been's and never were types. Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    Bauer is the better pitcher but agreed. Walker 10M and at least 2 years is better than Bauer 40M and potential to leave next year
    45 million next year? Bauer going nowhere

45M with Dodgers. For us it was only I believe 35M next year

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hardball View Post
    45 million next year? Bauer going nowhere
    Yea it's essentially a 2 year 85 mil deal which is absolutely ridiculous for someone who might not even be a top 5 SP right now.

Our potential rotation, deGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Walker, Peterson..... All career ERA's lower than Bauer.

Like, WTF... Gotta give his agents credit for getting that deal. I wanted Bauer, but not pissed we missed out after seeing what he signed for. It's ****ed up though how to played us. But winning the CY when he only faced bad or mediocre teams in the NL central is not that impressive.