Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 129 of 208 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 3118
    So apparently the union again rejected an offer from MLB of universal DH for expanded playoffs.

Why wouldn't the union want expanded playoffs? I'm not understanding these negotiations...

Seems like a win for the players on both parts. DH brings more job opportunities to players without a real position, and gives many more teams a shot at the playoffs.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 01-25-2021 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    So apparently the union again rejected an offer from MLB of universal DH for expanded playoffs.

Why wouldn't the union want expanded playoffs? I'm not understanding these negotiations...

Seems like a win for the players on both parts. DH brings more job opportunities to players without a real position, and gives many more teams a shot at the playoffs.
    It seems like they will simply reject anything that is initiated by ownership.

At a minimum, Baty would be a headliner of that deal. I like Baty but goodbye if we're bringing in Suarez AND Gray.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.mets stepson View Post
    Try Dom and JD with a mid level prospect. Steve Phillips and Eduardo Perez were discussing it this morning and they said that's where it would work.
    No to including Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    All reports indicate he wanted a one year deal, prefers the DC area and wanted assurance that he'd be closing. Presumably to set himself up for a bigger payday if he excels as the Nat's closer.

The Mets, rightfully, could not promise that he would close and, IMO, rightfully didn't overpay to make up for the fact.

We were in it and competitive. He wanted something beyond money that we wouldn't promise.

I like him as a piece to a great bullpen. I don't think he will be a great closer in DC.
    Glad there is some more clarity about that. Still concerned that they weren't ready to immediately pivot, because they still have a need. This FO seems to only be able to do one thing at a time. They need to be able execute their Plan Bs before they get stuck with their Plan Cs and Ds.

This comes pretty close to equal value...

Dom Smith, JD Davis
    Prospects Brett Baty, Shervyen Newton, and Alexander Ramirez
    Don't think I would like that trade from the Mets standpoint based on the talent they would give up. I'd rather they just sign Bauer and Kolten Wong and move McNeil to 3B.

His salary, the Cubs salary concerns and the fact that he is a FA after 2021 I would assume reduces his price at least somewhat. I wouldn't want to see the Mets give up too much for Bryant for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    His salary, the Cubs salary concerns and the fact that he is a FA after 2021 I would assume reduces his price at least somewhat. I wouldn't want to see the Mets give up too much for Bryant for the same reasons.
    I agree. And 3B isn't a real need right now, even though a defensive upgrade would be welcome. I hope we finish the offseason with Bauer, Pillar, and Justin Wilson. Salary dump Familia if u can to stay under the luxury tax.

I agree. And 3B isn't a real need right now, even though a defensive upgrade would be welcome. I hope we finish the offseason with Bauer, Pillar, and Justin Wilson. Salary dump Familia if u can to stay under the luxury tax.
    No thank you to Pillar. He is an offensive liability and there are better defensive CFs out there.

I like those additions for the Mets. I don't understand why JBJ is the only alternative CF ever mentioned for the Mets when Pillar would cost less, plays good D and bats RH.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted Springer, but I understand why we passed on 6 for 150. Cano is back on the books next year, and while Familia and Betances are not, we still have to make sure we have the money to extend Lindor and passing on Springer probably means we'd prefer to extend Conforto than sign Springer to that deal.

Plus, have you seen the free agent class next year? It's loaded. We don't have to go to clear cut WS contenders in one offseason. We already improved a lot and are likely a playoff team right now and can make a run with what we have. Go over the luxury tax now, and we're liking staying there if we want to resign our main guys and add good free agents next year. It's fine if they don't wanna exceed it in year 1.
    Unless I am missing something, where is next years FA class loaded. Except for SS , and Fredy Freeman and Anthony Rizzo I don't not see it . Who are the ," loaded " pitchers , CFs ? Arenado can opt out of his contract , but why wood he ?

Nobody worth his salt ever looks to next year's free agent class because you never know you will be re-signed by their parent club.
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 01-25-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Unless I am missing something, where is next years FA class loaded. Except for SS , and Fredy Freeman and Anthony Rizzo I don't not see it . Who are the ," loaded " pitchers , CFs ? Arenado can opt out of his contract , but why wood he ?

Nobody worth his salt ever looks to next year's free agent class because you never know you will be re-signed by their parent club.
    Maybe this will help

Notable free agents for 2021-22
    Catcher: Salvador Perez, Travis d'Arnaud, Christian Vazquez (club option), Buster Posey (club option)

First base: Freddie Freeman, Anthony Rizzo, Brandon Belt

Second base: Starlin Castro

Third base: Nolan Arenado (opt-out), Kris Bryant, Eduardo Escobar, Kyle Seager (club option), José Ramírez (club option)

Shortstop: Francisco Lindor, Javier Báez, Carlos Correa, Corey Seager, Trevor Story

Outfield: Michael Conforto, Tommy Pham, Starling Marte, Kyle Schwarber, Eddie Rosario, Corey Dickerson, Nick Castellanos (opt-out), Charlie Blackmon (player option), Andrew McCutchen (club option)

Designated hitter: Jorge Soler, Khris Davis, J.D. Martinez (opt-out)

Starting pitchers: Noah Syndergaard, Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Zack Greinke, Lance Lynn, Eduardo Rodriguez, Dylan Bundy, Lance McCullers Jr., Johnny Cueto (club option), Carlos Martínez (club option)

Relievers: Kenley Jansen, Jeurys Familia, Corey Knebel, Archie Bradley, Raisel Iglesias, Adam Ottavino

https://www.mlb.com/news/baseball-s-...-agent-classes

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

The SP is probably where the Mets should look next year. Not going all in this year after the Lindor trade and instead just trying to "add depth" by getting a bunch of guys who will go between AAA and MLB will probably make us just miss the playoffs this year and then we will think one of these old SP will get us over the top next year

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    The SP is probably where the Mets should look next year. Not going all in this year after the Lindor trade and instead just trying to "add depth" by getting a bunch of guys who will go between AAA and MLB will probably make us just miss the playoffs this year and then we will think one of these old SP will get us over the top next year
    SP and 3rd base. I would love Bryant. Not sure if Arenado opts out. No way the Indians let Ramirez go. He would be my first option but the Indians will pick up that option instantly.

A more rounded bullpen is still always something that should be a priority for a WS contender as well.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-25-2021 at 05:39 PM.