Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 67 of 209 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 3126
    Maybe it will press them to spend on bauer... either way I like hearing from the owner directly.... we don't have to speculate

I really donít want to see the Mets make reactionary moves because of what San Diego is doing.

You know what you need to complete this roster. Just stick to the plan and do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I really donít want to see the Mets make reactionary moves because of what San Diego is doing.

You know what you need to complete this roster. Just stick to the plan and do it.

I agree.

If anything, this demonstrates that it is going to be a weird off-season, and there will be value and bargains to be had for teams that act at the right (not fastest or slowest) time.

Other financially stressed or rebuilding teams will be selling/trading pricey, talented players and we will have more chances beyond FA, possibly without depleting the top end of our farm system. This increase in available talent will obviously impact the cost and timing for signing premiere FAs, though to what extent remains to be seen.

One unfortunate byproduct of all of this is there will likely be a more pronounced gap between the haves and have nots (big/small, cash-strapped/cash rich) in 2021 and beyond.

I trust the plan. But the Padres' GM is a badass. Despite the youth they've given up, they still have a very young major league team and a top five minor league system.
    Last edited by The Futurist; 12-29-2020 at 12:35 PM.

The Padres only gave up like 2 of their top prospects in both deals combined.

Question is - what would a comparable package of players looked like from the Mets to get those 2 pitchers?

I imagine my friend Clay can help answer this question. And I suspect it would look devastating for the Mets already suspect farm.

I don't think that's the point. Sure return is not linear across the board but the fact that teams are dumping payroll is something the Mets should exploit. Darvish and Snell are not the only cost cutting moves that will happen.

Sure. But thereís no empiric evidence the Mets arenít in on other options either.

Fundamentally though, I do agree with Cohen that this farm system is in no condition to withstand much talent departure.

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    Hope we go bigger on IFA market then
    I think we have been big in IFA in the past 5 years or so and will continue to be. Most of our top prospects are IFA signings, Mauricio and the big catching prospect are 2 of those.

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    I think we have been big in IFA in the past 5 years or so and will continue to be. Most of our top prospects are IFA signings, Mauricio and the big catching prospect are 2 of those.
    I'm hoping we are willing to go over budget and take the hit now with Cohen for guys who are worth it

Question is - what would a comparable package of players looked like from the Mets to get those 2 pitchers?

I imagine my friend Clay can help answer this question. And I suspect it would look devastating for the Mets already suspect farm.

Think we could've put a package for Darvish but don't think we had the resources for Snell personally

Agreed...Springer, Bauer, Realmuto, Hendriks, Odorizzi are all waiting to sign with us

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't think that's the point. Sure return is not linear across the board but the fact that teams are dumping payroll is something the Mets should exploit. Darvish and Snell are not the only cost cutting moves that will happen.
    I like Carrasco

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I'm hoping we are willing to go over budget and take the hit now with Cohen for guys who are worth it
    Pretty sure the rules have changed and ultimately impact draft value.
    Certainly have to pick your spots

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Agreed...Springer, Bauer, Realmuto, Hendriks, Odorizzi are all waiting to sign with us
    The owner needs to be listened to and we need to read a little between the lines as well. We don't want to give up our young prospects at all - the farm needs to be rebuilt.

Now, we all would like other teams to take our underperforming overpaid players (read Familia, Betances, Matz, Rosario maybe) but no one will give us anything back in return for them.

San Diego has a boatload of talent in their farm system. They made both of those trades by trading just 2 of their top prospects and still have 5 left in MLB top 100 from what the sources are saying..

We would need to trade both Alvarez (the catcher) and Mauricio (the ss) in order to even be at the same table.

So I agree with just going the free agent route but don't wait too long, these players and their agents just might sign with someone else. It's like saying I am going out with a girl and never really taking her out. Sooner or later, she is just gonna go out with someone else.

The Official Mets Off Season Thread 2020-2021

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Pretty sure the rules have changed and ultimately impact draft value.
    Certainly have to pick your spots
    Yeah - which is yet another reason selling off young assets for garbage like Brodie did harms your organization for years in multiple ways.

What Mets have going for them is they have some excellent young major league talent that can make a legit run with some additional pieces.

I think those pieces can be added by FA and I suspect that is the plan from Cohen and Alderson. I suspect they can do this and remain under the luxury tax and avoid repercussions to their efforts to rebuild the farm.

Just have to see how it plays out but I fundamentally agree with this approach.