Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 208 of 208 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208
Results 3,106 to 3,118 of 3118
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    Keep in mind that the Mets may have a few doubleheaders and need a spot starter either on the pitching staff or fir a one-day call up from Syracuse.
    In the beginning of the season, they will use Peterson or Lucchesi as the 5th starter and the other will be the spot starter. Once Thor is onboard, he will serve as the 5th starter and either Peterson or Lucchesi will be the spot starter, the other in the bullpen or at Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Still not understanding anyone giving the offseason less than a B. The roster is so improved from previous years.

It's amazing how much the roster was improved without signing any of the top 6 free agents.

Lindor, Carrasco, McCann, May, Loup, Walker, Lucchesi, Yamamoto... All likely to play significant rolls and were very good additions.

Look at our bench... Jose Martinez, Villar, Pillar, Almora, Guillorme, Nido... These first 3 guys would be starters on a lot of teams, and have been. Our previous bench was a joke compared to this. It will be key when guys start missing time or need a rest.

What about the minor league depth when we need call-ups? We actually have ML players for a change... Drury, Peraza, Mallax Smith, Vizcaino, Hunter, Montgomery... All better options for the crap we've previously had to call up from the minors.

Add to that, Reid-Foley, McWilliams, Eickhoff...

Our depth is really ****ing good and great teams always have solid players to fill in when needed. It will be huge.

I feel like I'm just repeating myself lately but it's really satisfying seeing the moves we made and increasing the payroll despite not signing some of the top guys.

Last thing we need to cap off this offseason is a Lindor and Conforto extension. Pay these men and LFGM.
    Itís an A for me. And I like that they didnít sign the Springer or Bauer contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    Itís an A for me. And I like that they didnít sign the Springer or Bauer contracts.

I agree. I think a Conforto extension will be less, and if we signed Springer, Conforto is gone after this year, and I'm definitely not convinced Springer will out perform him over the next 6 years.

In fact, I'd bet on Conforto having the better next 6 years.

There are good SP's available next offseason. And some that are older and will be signing shorter term deals (Greinke, Verlander, Kershaw, Scherzer)
    Last edited by bklynny67; 02-23-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Personally my biggest issue was how they were prioritizing Springer from the get go - effectively taking themselves out of the JT bidding. They ended up pivoting to Bauer as a last resort and it hurt.

The off-season was generally solid but the way of going about it was questionable

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Personally my biggest issue was how they were prioritizing Springer from the get go - effectively taking themselves out of the JT bidding. They ended up pivoting to Bauer as a last resort and it hurt.

The off-season was generally solid but the way of going about it was questionable

If there was any truth to the rumors that JT didn't want to play in NYC, then they made the right decision not focusing on him, because he likely would have used them the same way Bauer did.

Taking themselves out of the JT bidding seemed to be premeditated though. Sure I was not in the room, but JT did make it clear early on that he had no intention of signing with any NY team unless he was going to get record money. That reeks of him playing the NY market against the Phillies. The relatively quick signing of McCann seemed to echo that. But IMO, they were right to prioritize Springer as that was a great need. Now as it turned out CF is still something they could not accomplish this offseason and both Springer and Bauer played the field and simply went to teams that were willing to go beyond what any other team was willing to go.

I can't lie, I would be the first person to be here complaining if the Mets had handed out the type of contracts that all three got. Of course I am bummed about Springer, but not so much the other two as neither seemed to want to be here...with JT who stated he wanted to stay in Philly and Bauer with an eye on the West Coast.

That being said, I am not actually unhappy with the off season this time around and I love the fact that they just didn't make the trade for Lindor and call it an off season. They continued to fill depth, and have put together a nice looking rotation that could rival any in the NL.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 02-23-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Springer for 6 years is gross. If he signed a 3 year contract for similar AAV, then Iíd be a bit upset.

Springer for 6 years is gross. If he signed a 3 year contract for similar AAV, then Iíd be a bit upset.

If he's 24 and signs a 6 year contract, ok. But at 30 to sign a 6 year contract? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    In the beginning of the season, they will use Peterson or Lucchesi as the 5th starter and the other will be the spot starter. Once Thor is onboard, he will serve as the 5th starter and either Peterson or Lucchesi will be the spot starter, the other in the bullpen or at Syracuse.
    I would like to see a lefty in the rotation, but you might be right, that is 4 pretty solid RH Starters with Thor.

It is a A- for me. I really am happy with the current roster and the ability to make a trade come July. All while sitting under the luxury tax threshold for one more year before the bonanza.

That is exactly how I feel as well. I think we simply took too long on players we thought were coming our way. It backfired.

I dont think they were willing to wait for Realmuto and I understand why. There was enough talk that he didn't want to play in NY and he took his sweet *** time signing because he was asking for a lot more money than he eventually got.

If the Mets don't get McCann and then lose out on Realmuto, who are they left with? Yadier Molina?

I had not kept track but they mentioned on Mets Hot Stove that the Mets turned over half their 40-man roster this off-season. That is more than I would have thought.