Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Reportedly Realmuto wants 200 million.
    **** him then. No way he has that much impact. That will just be a bad contract.

If there is any truth to a 200mil contract request from Realmuto then thatís just ****ing asinine. Huge contracts for aging Cís just donít make any sense. Every single one has ended with the C no longer able the play C, not staying healthy and in no way living up to the contract. Let someone other than the Mets make that mistake.

Also, if that is real, maybe he and his agent should read the ****ing room. Owners lost money last year. Where is a contract that size coming from for an aging C in this financial environment?

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Reportedly Realmuto wants 200 million.
    I was thinking 5/150-160 and I thought that was high

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    I was thinking 5/150-160 and I thought that was high
    Mookie cashed in at the right time. If the NHL offseason is any indication of how tight money might be, MLB free agents might see a very underwhelming market. I get MLB has more money and no cap but the idea that ballparks will be only partially occupied next year and maybe even in 2022 is probably going to slow the roll of free agency.

Realmuto can dream though.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Mookie cashed in at the right time. If the NHL offseason is any indication of how tight money might be, MLB free agents might see a very underwhelming market. I get MLB has more money and no cap but the idea that ballparks will be only partially occupied next year and maybe even in 2022 is probably going to slow the roll of free agency.

Exactly. Why put that ridiculous number out there? That might make some teams decide he isnít even worth considering.

I think Mauer had 8 years for $184 million which is $23 million per year. He wants to beat the $184 million. Of course, one way to do that is to defer a large amount of the compensation. That way, the player & agent can say the total is larger even if economically it is not.

Could the Mets get him for six years @ $24 million plus an option with an $11 million buyout and $30 million in deferred payments? Other than possibly the Phillies, I do not see anybody else offering that much.

No shot heís getting 200 from anyone including Cohen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

Mookie cashed in because he is one of the 3 best players in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    No shot heís getting 200 from anyone including Cohen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nor should he. Setting aside the fact that the league took a revenue hit this year and might again next year, using past megadeals for aging C's as a benchmark seems ridiculous given that none of them have worked out! They are evidence that all such contracts moving forward should be smaller not bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Mookie cashed in because he is one of the 3 best players in baseball.
    If he enters FA this offseason, I dont see Mookie getting 365 million dollars. Not denying his talent. I'm talking about the financial landscape of baseball. Teams are going to adjust accordingly given the uncertainty of fans in attendance next year and maybe even in 2022. Until a vaccine is developed and widely distributed, teams are going to lose significant live event revenue whether its merchandise, food/alcohol sales, losses in ticket sales, etc.

Even the big market teams won't be immune to that and it will reflect in player salary.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-13-2020 at 01:55 PM.

185 would be the most by a catcher .

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    185 would be the most by a catcher .
    That would even be too much. This notion that the price just keeps going up regardless of context is ridiculous. Someone being the best available player at their position shouldn't automatically equal them getting paid the most ever. The position a player plays and long term investment at that position can/should also be considered. That is all without even taking into account the current financial climate.

Being the best available doesn't mean you have equal or greater values to the guys who came before you. In the case of Realmuto specifically, he simply hasn't been as good as Posey was when he got his deal, so why should he get more? Just because? Also, all of the evidence suggests that long term, big money contracts for C's on the wrong side of 30 are bad investments.

The Official Mets Off Season Thread 2020-2021

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    That would even be too much. This notion that the price just keeps going up regardless of context is ridiculous. Someone being the best available player at their position shouldn't automatically equal them getting paid the most ever. The position a player plays and long term investment at that position can/should also be considered. That is all without even taking into account the current financial climate.

Being the best available doesn't mean you have equal or greater values to the guys who came before you. In the case of Realmuto specifically, he simply hasn't been as good as Posey was when he got his deal, so why should he get more? Just because? Also, all of the evidence suggests that long term, big money contracts for C's on the wrong side of 30 are bad investments.
    Realmuto isnít as good as Posey, but Posey also wasnít a FA. The Giants extended him and bought out his 4 remaining arbitration years since he was a Super Two. Had Posey waited it out until after 2016 (his age 29 season just like Realmuto) to be a FA, he surely would have received a mega contract.

Being a career .307/.373/.476 hitter in a very tough hitting ballpark while playing GG defense and being a perennial All-Star (7+ WAR) at a premium position with limited options would have guaranteed him $200-250M+ easily on the open market IMO.

Realmuto will likely fall short of $200M, but heís worth a lot and we should overpay to get him here. The difference between him and Ramos is astronomical. Cohen needs to flex his muscle here.

I wonder what trades DRTRADE would come up with for us this off season..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Realmuto isnít as good as Posey, but Posey also wasnít a FA. The Giants extended him and bought out his 4 remaining arbitration years since he was a Super Two. Had Posey waited it out until after 2016 (his age 29 season just like Realmuto) to be a FA, he surely would have received a mega contract.

Being a career .307/.373/.476 hitter in a very tough hitting ballpark while playing GG defense and being a perennial All-Star (7+ WAR) at a premium position with limited options would have guaranteed him $200-250M+ easily on the open market IMO.

Realmuto will likely fall short of $200M, but heís worth a lot and we should overpay to get him here. The difference between him and Ramos is astronomical. Cohen needs to flex his muscle here.
    I am fine with the Mets overpaying for a great player who fits their needs on multiple levels. I just don't want them to outbid themselves. Who is giving Realmuto 200mil? I hope it isn't the Mets though.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast