Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 74 of 208 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 3118
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I think some Mets fans soured on Stro after he opted out last season. Thatís not really fair. Iím super excited that heís back and I expect him to have a big year. He was sorely missed in the rotation.
    I like Stroman and believe that he wants to play for the Mets. His opting out last year had multiple aspects to it, and I don't blame him for any of it. 2020 was ****ed up.

First: it was his walk year. He worked extremely hard to prep for the season, because he's a competitor and because he knew that tens of millions were at stake depending upon how he performed and because he knew that a great 2020 with a playoff run in his home (major market) town would be the best of all scenarios. I watched his workouts, read his tweets and bought in to his genuine enthusiasm for the team and what it was capable of.

Second: then Covid hit. Despite this, he continued to safely workout (remember the Dom videos?) but like the rest of us, he was likely watching how things developed, and the borough in which his team played (and close to where his parents lived) was among the hardest hit in the world. He obviously, like many of us with older or compromised family (I'm especially sympathetic here, as my mom passed from the virus in April), saw Covid as a risk to his family's health, but we'd be naive to think he didn't also recognize that if the season got shortened, or he got contact-traced out of a week or so, or if he missed a month or more (like Nido) his numbers, and his FA prospects would be negatively impacted. Also, I don't take his concerns for his family (who live on Long Island) lightly. He's close to his parents and is far from a slacker. His dad is a Suffolk County Police Detective and he's got several tats dedicated to his mom. Still, even with the season opening delayed, he seemed determined to play. Then...

Third: he tore his calf muscle. This is a devastating injury for a pitcher. More so for a 5-7 pitcher who needs every bit of power and speed to pitch well and field at a gold glove level. Anyone who has had a calf strain or tear knows how long they take to heal and how easy it is to re-injure it. I'm guessing he wanted to feel 100% before coming back, because that handful of starts he'd have upon returning would have a major influence on his value as free agent. He could parlay them into a Bauer-like 2020 and prosper or, if he wasn't completely healed, pitched poorly or, worse, re-injured the calf, his 2020 could have been the anti-Bauer.

Fourth: which is why I don't blame him for opting out, for any or all of the above reasons. However...

Fifth: I truly believe the guy wants to play and excel in New York. I'm not sure he would have taken the QO if Cohen hadn't taken over the team. He likely would have been able to sign a comparable 1-year deal somewhere. I think he wants to have an amazing season and hopes to re-sign with the Mets before testing FA. I hope this is the case.
    Last edited by The Futurist; 01-05-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Honestly I hate that people soured on him because he opted out last year. I get it, we traded a decent amount for him so we wanted to see more out of him than what he got... But he had every right to opt out. There was a global pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I think some Mets fans soured on Stro after he opted out last season. Thatís not really fair. Iím super excited that heís back and I expect him to have a big year. He was sorely missed in the rotation.
    I was totally cool with Stro opting out! 100% his right. I was so annoyed seeing fans get on him.

When he posted how great it was to be able to social distance in his giant second home in the middle of nowwhere while everyone else had to go to work to make ends meet and had to qaurtentine in tiny apartments I soured on him. It was so tone deaf and thoughtless.
    Last edited by Northeastfshman; 01-06-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northeastfshman View Post
    I was totally cool with Stro opting out! 100% his right. I was so annoyed seeing fans get on him.

When he posted how great it was to be able to social distance in his giant second home in the middle of nowwhere while everyone else had to go to work to make ends meant and had to qaurtentine in tiny apartments I soured on him. It was so tone deaf and thoughtless.
    Fair point. Tone deaf quarantine pics of the rich and famous was a thing for a while. Hopefully he learned from it and it's not indicative of deeper character flaws.

https://sny.tv/articles/latest-on-me...eorge-springer

Apparently the Blue Jays made an aggressive offer but Springer was unimpressed

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    https://sny.tv/articles/latest-on-me...eorge-springer

Apparently the Blue Jays made an aggressive offer but Springer was unimpressed
    I don't want the Mets to be the team that gives him 150+. I'd rather get DJLM for less.

Both are intriguing but they're an extra depth piece, not your main SP piece

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    I don't want the Mets to be the team that gives him 150+. I'd rather get DJLM for less.
    Seems like a lot, but then again as reported, there was a five year offer but south of $150M. Probably something along the lines of $125M?

In any case, if his salary starts to approach $30M, then maybe the Mets should start talks with the Rox about Arenado. Doesn't solve CF, but it would greatly improve defense in the infield. Not sure what it would take, but maybe JD Davis + Familia (to partly offset 2021 salary of Arenado) + Rosario (? assuming the Rox will be moving their SS soon) + a throw in P (minor leaguer).

Don't think Rox would eat any salary, so beyond 2021 Arenado will be costly. But Arenado is only 29 and Springer will be 32 in 2021. Then again, all is negotiable. Can we send them Cano, LOL?

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    Both are intriguing but they're an extra depth piece, not your main SP piece
    Agreed. But if you can get him real cheap? Maybe the rotation is not as big a problem as we think, especially if you can beef up the BP.

Another under the radar move I like is Rosario to Cincy for Sonny Gray. Again, Gray is at best middle of the rotation, but he is signed for the next 3 years and the Mets are looking at losing Stroman possible to FA after 2021 and also Thor after 2022.

Lots of moves yet to be made, but we need to be patient.

Kluber in the middle of the rotation would be pretty great for a couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    Seems like a lot, but then again as reported, there was a five year offer but south of $150M. Probably something along the lines of $125M?

In any case, if his salary starts to approach $30M, then maybe the Mets should start talks with the Rox about Arenado. Doesn't solve CF, but it would greatly improve defense in the infield. Not sure what it would take, but maybe JD Davis + Familia (to partly offset 2021 salary of Arenado) + Rosario (? assuming the Rox will be moving their SS soon) + a throw in P (minor leaguer).

Don't think Rox would eat any salary, so beyond 2021 Arenado will be costly. But Arenado is only 29 and Springer will be 32 in 2021. Then again, all is negotiable. Can we send them Cano, LOL?
    Now you're thinking! I like it. So we bring Arenado in which improves us by at least 5 to 10 games in WAR defensively. We can send back any 1 or 2 of Rosario, J.D. Davis, Guillorme and /or Dom Smith; we will probably need to give them a decent minor leaguer but not the top 5 in the org. Now what do we do with the OF? I say Nimmo only plays CF in an emergency and Conforto is in RF. So we bring in a CF of lesser cost but equal or better defensive WAR value as a CF. Or go with a platoon in CF. If Gimenez continues to improve with the bat, he will move up the batting order so your CF can be someone who hits 8th. The lineup is awesome with Nimmo, McNeil, Alonso, Conforto, Arenado, McCann, Gimenez, the Center Fielder. Defensively a very tight outfit (well, except for 1b). Pull in some bench pieces, maybe bring back Marisnick as a backup OF. If Mauricio looks like he's ready, it looks like a nice team.

And unfortunately we are stuck with Cano. Not sure what he will do for us in 2022 but he isn't our problem in 2021. I am sure that Cohen realizes he will need to eat the salary and had that already modeled into his purchase of the team. In fact Cano not being paid in 2021 is a blessing in disguise for a couple reasons - it opens up 2b for McNeil and it suddenly made Cohen's purchase of the Mets $24M more valuable, lol. I am always looking for the silver lining

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    Now you're thinking! I like it. So we bring Arenado in which improves us by at least 5 to 10 games in WAR defensively. We can send back any 1 or 2 of Rosario, J.D. Davis, Guillorme and /or Dom Smith; we will probably need to give them a decent minor leaguer but not the top 5 in the org. Now what do we do with the OF? I say Nimmo only plays CF in an emergency and Conforto is in RF. So we bring in a CF of lesser cost but equal or better defensive WAR value as a CF. Or go with a platoon in CF. If Gimenez continues to improve with the bat, he will move up the batting order so your CF can be someone who hits 8th. The lineup is awesome with Nimmo, McNeil, Alonso, Conforto, Arenado, McCann, Gimenez, the Center Fielder. Defensively a very tight outfit (well, except for 1b). Pull in some bench pieces, maybe bring back Marisnick as a backup OF. If Mauricio looks like he's ready, it looks like a nice team.
    I am not going to comment on your post but only to say DO NOT TRADE DOM SMITH !!! He is going to be a very good player for the team for many years to come