Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 68 of 208 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 3118
  1. #1006
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kabul Afghanistan
    Posts
    2,827
    Maybe we can just trade cash for minor league talent?
    It shouldn't go against the cap.

  2. #1007
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,531
    good point, but no team will just give up top 100 prospects for just cash and we have nothing at the major league level that would entice another team to trade with us. Whichever of our players on the MLB roster are available cost too much in salary - they have no value to these other teams based on their salaries.

  3. #1008
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    105,212
    Sandy sleeping at the wheel again and this time even the other two in his car pool are at sleep.

  4. #1009
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    790
    Waiting out the market is the proper thing to do. No agent is going to allow their client to sign without circling back to the Mets.

    Realmuto was going to have to be a serious over pay to come to the Mets.

  5. #1010
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    39,544

  6. #1011
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,531
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    He also won't get more than deGrom, who is the Ace of the Mets.

  7. #1012
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Hell no

  8. #1013
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    He also won't get more than deGrom, who is the Ace of the Mets.
    Unfortunately he probably will
    Degrom got quite a friendly team deal, I full suspect him to opt out and get extended

  9. #1014
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hazlet
    Posts
    24
    Odorizzi and Hendrick no thank you to Bauer at 36 maybe 25 not 36

  10. #1015
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Flushing, 10/16/69
    Posts
    2,031
    The numbers being floated for Bauer are crazy IF TRUE.

    Wheeler's contract is a bargain by comparison, and he could have been re-signed for less before he became a FA.

    Regardless of which FAs we sign, I'd roll the dice on Syndergaard for a 3-4 year deal and see if he bites. IMO less of a risk than Bauer, more youth and more upside.

  11. #1016
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,531
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    The numbers being floated for Bauer are crazy IF TRUE.

    Wheeler's contract is a bargain by comparison, and he could have been re-signed for less before he became a FA.

    Regardless of which FAs we sign, I'd roll the dice on Syndergaard for a 3-4 year deal and see if he bites. IMO less of a risk than Bauer, more youth and more upside.

    If I look at Syndergaard and Stroman as the 2 starters we didn't have last year, then we have a much improved staff. Not sure if Bauer is necessary. Maybe 2 mid rotation starters, then let Lugo hold the fort down until Thor returns in June (hopefully). The rotation would be to start the season: deGrom, Stroman, Lugo, SP free agent #1, Peterson (with Matz and SP free agent #2 as depth in the bullpen). When Thor is back we have deGrom, Thor, Stroman, SP free agent #1, Peterson (the rest of the guys including Lugo go to the pen).


    Then take the money saved on Bauer and sign another reliever, a CF and a third baseman.

  12. #1017
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Flushing, 10/16/69
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    If I look at Syndergaard and Stroman as the 2 starters we didn't have last year, then we have a much improved staff. Not sure if Bauer is necessary. Maybe 2 mid rotation starters, then let Lugo hold the fort down until Thor returns in June (hopefully). The rotation would be to start the season: deGrom, Stroman, Lugo, SP free agent #1, Peterson (with Matz and SP free agent #2 as depth in the bullpen). When Thor is back we have deGrom, Thor, Stroman, SP free agent #1, Peterson (the rest of the guys including Lugo go to the pen).


    Then take the money saved on Bauer and sign another reliever, a CF and a third baseman.
    Don't get me wrong: I love the idea of having Bauer as a 1A, and his demands will come down because the market just isn't there this year. Nothing wrong with waiting it out a bit.

    There are exceptions but I believe that any team that hopes to win it all in the wildcard era needs two aces at the top of a solid rotation. Syndergaard and Stroman are capable of stepping up but they haven't done it yet. And, as others have pointed out, we don't know when Noah will be back and how long it will take him to be dominant (if at all).

  13. #1018
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kabul Afghanistan
    Posts
    2,827
    I think analytics will help Stroman.... not so much Thor.

  14. #1019
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32,489
    That rumor on Bauer makes me mad we didn't try for Darvish. But also he apparently denied it. BTW if we are actually serious about DJ, which I don't think we are, why not look at Kolten Wong?

    GG 2B worth about 3-4 WAR and prob sign 3 years 30M seeing how Cards declined 12.5M option

  15. #1020
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,531
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Don't get me wrong: I love the idea of having Bauer as a 1A, and his demands will come down because the market just isn't there this year. Nothing wrong with waiting it out a bit.

    There are exceptions but I believe that any team that hopes to win it all in the wildcard era needs two aces at the top of a solid rotation. Syndergaard and Stroman are capable of stepping up but they haven't done it yet. And, as others have pointed out, we don't know when Noah will be back and how long it will take him to be dominant (if at all).
    When Syndergaard is on, he can be just as effective and a bit more nasty than deGrom. There are times in the past when Thor pitched and acted like the Mets ace. IMO he is a 1a. Stroman has done similarly with his former team. I won't say yet that he's a 1b, but he certainly is a 2.

    By the way, deGrom will earn $36M in 2021 so I don't think the Mets will go higher than that AAV for Bauer.

    What I want is for the Mets not to sign Bauer, but bring in 2 SPs, both capable of 2 or 3 spots in the rotation but they might end up pitching as 4 and 5 in the rotation. Don't forget Peterson is the incumbent #5 and we have Lugo who will likely be the stopgap until Thor is back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •