Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 54 of 208 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    No they have to account for arbitration raises, who they want to lock up amongst those guys and having money for future offseasons in terms of FA. I dont think this team's objective is to go wildly over the luxury tax. It would be nice but there is a reason why Cohen brought in Alderson. It was to use his money wisely and methodically. Not to fill every hole with a premiere FA.
    And guys like Betances (yuck) and Jeurys plus Stroman will be off the books. Their payroll will be fluid, Giving this team the flexibility to allow for arbitration raises.

Plus with the revamping of the farm, there should be a steady flow of talent to the parent club.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    And guys like Betances (yuck) and Jeurys plus Stroman will be off the books. Their payroll will be fluid, Giving this team the flexibility to allow for arbitration raises.

Plus with the revamping of the farm, there should be a steady flow of talent to the parent club.
    They brought in the wrong head of baseball operations if they wanted to go big. You have your sources but you had to have known the likelihood of signing 2 or 3 of the big 3 FA was highly unlikely. It was one of the big 3 then signing guys like May, Odorizzi, McCann, hopefully Hand or Hendriks, etc. I want Springer and Bauer but it seems like its either or, not both.

Whatever the case is, Alderson is not that guy to make all those big moves in one offseason. Probably to the team's benefit because multiple huge FA contracts usually don't work out.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2020 at 08:52 PM.

One of three will be a good offseason, two will be great. I think Alderson will DEFINITELY get one of Bauer/Springer and then will keep in touch with the other as the offseason goes along because I think that both Bauer/Springer will not sign before giving the Mets a final chance to counter offer.

But I agree, I think the only chance the Mets get two is if the second signs on OUR terms. Can not see us giving up 1/3 billion dollars this offseason so it would have to be a bit of a pay cut to get two.

They brought in the wrong head of baseball operations if they wanted to go big. You have your sources but you had to have known the likelihood of signing 2 or 3 of the big 3 FA was highly unlikely. It was one of the big 3 then signing guys like May, Odorizzi, McCann, hopefully Hand or Hendriks, etc. I want Springer and Bauer but it seems like its either or, not both.

Whatever the case is, Alderson is not that guy to make all those big moves in one offseason. Probably to the team's benefit because multiple huge FA contracts usually don't work out.
    Porter would be making that call now.

Plus Cohen wants to win, Fred and Jeff no longer own the team.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Porter would be making that call now.

Plus Cohen wants to win, Fred and Jeff no longer own the team.
    I doubt Porter makes a decision that doesnt go through Alderson and Cohen first. We'll see. Usually teams hire like minded guys. I can't see Porter deviating much from Alderson's philosophies.

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    One of three will be a good offseason, two will be great. I think Alderson will DEFINITELY get one of Bauer/Springer and then will keep in touch with the other as the offseason goes along because I think that both Bauer/Springer will not sign before giving the Mets a final chance to counter offer.

But I agree, I think the only chance the Mets get two is if the second signs on OUR terms. Can not see us giving up 1/3 billion dollars this offseason so it would have to be a bit of a pay cut to get two.
    There are 5 big names not including Darvish that are available.

I doubt Porter makes a decision that doesnt go through Alderson and Cohen first. We'll see. Usually teams hire like minded guys. I can't see Porter deviating much from Alderson's philosophies.
    And what is Anderson’s philosophy?

And what is Anderson’s philosophy?
    Alderson is a sum of your parts, make occasional big splashes, hunt for undervalued guys type. Not sign big FA after big FA. The Mets had a decent amount of needs as well so it wasn't like they could get Springer & Bauer and call it a WS team. They have obvious needs with depth in the rotation, they could use more bullpen help and even a SS or 3rd baseman would be nice. I don't see them tackling all that in one offseason.

I guess it depends on what analytics they are using to win a WS on 3-5 years with sustained winning.
    1 they have the means
    2 they have the motivation
    3 they have a rare opportunity

I think Cohen wants to win real soon real bad. He wants to come out of the gate a hero.

Plus winning is a good recipe for making more money in contracts and merch and butts in the seats. Thus a good investment.

I'm still going with both Bauer and Springer. Maybe Bauer first, then Springer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Why no talk of Justin Turner btw? I understand he's 36 but they have an obvious need at 3rd base. He can actually play the position unlike JD Davis. You could probably get him on a 2 year deal. It seems the Dodgers are obvious frontrunners for Arenado and have Edwin Rios who is their future 3rd baseman otherwise.

I also feel like Cohen wants Lindor. I think he'll have to trade for him then sign him to an extension. Whoever makes a trade for him will likely resign him. I'd like to keep Gimenez, but what does the infield look like for the future then?

Lindor at SS. Gimenez at 2B, McNeil at 3B? What happens with Mauricio? They'll almost definitely have to give up one of Gimenez or Mauracio in a Lindor trade.

I'd rather wait to sign one of the many good SS's next year, as it's highly unlikely they are all resigned this year, but feel like it's possible after we sign Springer and a SP, the Lindor rumors start popping in January.

Why no talk of Justin Turner btw? I understand he's 36 but they have an obvious need at 3rd base. He can actually play the position unlike JD Davis. You could probably get him on a 2 year deal. It seems the Dodgers are obvious frontrunners for Arenado and have Edwin Rios who is their future 3rd baseman otherwise.
    I'd rather we trade for Arenado than Lindor. Think he'd cost less if we take the whole contract. Then go with Gimenez at SS going forward. Think it makes our team better overall, especially defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    I'd rather we trade for Arenado than Lindor. Think he'd cost less if we take the whole contract. Then go with Gimenez at SS going forward. Think it makes our team better overall, especially defensively.
    I’ve been saying this for a while.

Arenado, Buxton, Bauer, and Hendriks...Arenado and Buxton would make this team one of the better defensive ones in baseball for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    My only concern with Arenado is he probably opts out next year. If Gimenez could play 3rd, I would take any of those really good SS next offseason. I would rather have the younger SS if that can happen.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2020 at 09:49 PM.