Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Of course reports are going to say that, it's against the rules.
    Just like it is against the rules to have a verbal agreement with IFA at the age of 14, but they do it.
    Yeah, but is not like this was something different from what Sandy and co had done before.

I am just happy Kumar felt on their laps or it would be some SS Colson Montgomery here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Mike Piazza@mikepiazza31
    Welcome to the @Mets
    @KumarRocker
    , Want to wish you the best of health and success pitching for the most amazing fans. Throw with your arm, pitch with your head, compete with your Heart.#MLBDraft #LGM
    Piazza’s thrilled, it’s a person of color who actually speaks English!

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Piazza’s thrilled, it’s a person of color who actually speaks English!

Yup

https://twitter.com/jacob_resnick/st...649082372?s=21

On the second day of the MLB Draft, teams head to their war rooms to take stock of their haul from the previous night and readjust their boards for the coming rounds. With an electric first round arm in tow, the Mets zeroed in on another, albeit younger, arm in Calvin Ziegler with the 46th overall pick.

The Canadian righty joins 10th overall selection Kumar Rocker as the Mets look to bolster their pitching pipeline.

Background
    Ziegler, a native of Heidelberg, Ontario, went unselected in the five-round 2020 draft, an outcome that forced some notable changes in his plans. He would eventually reclassify, decommit from UConn, and move down south to boost his stock heading into this year’s draft cycle.

Since amateur Canadian teams were limited in their travel due to the pandemic, Ziegler relocated to central Florida, where he pitched at TNXL Academy, an environment that rivals mid-major college programs in funding and access to facilities.

Throwing harder and looking like a more complete pitcher last fall, he committed to Auburn. Though Ziegler’s public pre-draft rankings land in the 100-200 range, he’s been around pro scouts for years at major showcases and Canadian national team events.

Scouting Report
    Mets VP of scouting Tommy Tanous told SNY on the most-recent episode of Mets Prospective that the organization has dramatically increased its analytics capabilities in this year’s draft. That effort, spearheaded by Ben Zauzmer, likely pointed Tanous and his staff in Ziegler’s direction.

His fastball has made significant velocity gains over the past four-to-five years. He’s now touching 97 mph, although he sits in a lower range. Maturity, and the continued upwards trend, should allow him to be a consistent mid-90s arm after getting integrated into the Mets’ player development program.

In addition to the heat, Ziegler’s pitch metrics are intriguing as well. He’s received high marks for his raw spin, spin efficiency and movement profile. His fastball looks like a potential plus-pitch, and it’s already closer to average than the typical arm in his stage of development.

Ziegler’s secondary pitches -- a slider and changeup -- are further along than they were coming into last year’s draft, but are still raw. Scouts like the slider to break through as a second plus-pitch. His control is better than you typically see from teenagers, and projects as a major league average tool.

The Jeremy Barnes-led player development department has pledged to become more data-driven, which includes employing coaches that can translate the numbers onto the field. Ziegler has an enticing skill-set that should benefit from such attention.

Future
    Unless their tools are worth a pick at the top of the first round, high school pitchers are nearly always taken with an eye on long-term development (Matt Allan being a notable recent exception). It’s not likely (but not out of the question) that Ziegler pitches this year, as he’ll be only 19 for all of the 2022 season. Depending on how he looks in front of coaches this fall and next spring, he could debut in Low-A, despite being well below the league average age.

Possibly the most under-discussed aspect of the MLB amateur draft is that teams are rarely selecting the clear-cut best player left on the board after the first round. Unlike other sports, with baseball players years away from being contributors, picks come down to factors like area scout relationships and signing bonus considerations.

Given that the Mets will exceed the $4.7 million slot value to tie up the deal with Rocker, their second round selection of Ziegler is likely to balance out the money spent towards the capped pool.

That isn’t an indictment on Ziegler’s skills. The Mets believe they’ve picked up a projectible arm with the chance to be one of the top 46 players from this draft class when it’s all said and done.

SNY

It may be true that you never draft for need, but the Mets went heavy on pitching through the first 10 rounds of the 2021 MLB Draft, immediately strengthening an otherwise barren depth chart at the position.

First rounder Kumar Rocker and second rounder Calvin Ziegler will grab the headlines from this class, but the Mets’ third rounder, Dominic Hamel from Dallas Baptist, could have the most immediate impact on the system from that group.

Background
    Hamel graduated from Hamilton High School in Chandler, Arizona, known in baseball circles as the alma mater of Cody Bellinger, who went straight from the Huskies to the Dodgers in 2013.

Hamel took a different route, heading to nearby Yavapai College to play in the JUCO ranks. Like current major leaguers Kole Calhoun, Willie Calhoun, and Merril Kelly, Hamel used Yavapai as a platform to Division I baseball, ultimately signing to play at Dallas Baptist where he built his draft stock from the ground up.

Hamel went from the Patriots’ Sunday starter in the brief 2020 season to their Friday night ace this season. He set the single-season program record with 13 wins and 136 strikeouts, the latter figure being 38 more than any other Missouri Valley Conference pitcher. On a per-PA basis, his 36.1% strikeout rate was one of the best figures among starting pitchers in the nation.

Scouting Report
    Like Ziegler in the second round, Hamel is an analytics darling. With an increased data-driven approach to building their board compared to prior years, the Mets feel they’ve added a pitcher that fits the desired modern mold.

“We like to scout through both lenses, a [traditional] scouting lens and an analytics lens,” director of amateur scouting Marc Tramuta said. “It’s a plus-ride fastball, which all of you know in today’s game is very effective.”

When a scout says a pitcher has good “ride” on his fastball, that translates analytically to above-average vertical movement. Hamel gets about 20 inches of induced vertical break, meaning the pitch appears to rise to the hitter thanks to extremely high spin, near-perfect spin efficiency, a low release height, and a flat vertical approach angle.

Hamel’s slider is a spin rate masterpiece as well, and would rank among the Top 25-30 in the major leagues. The raw spin, combined with low spin efficiency, make it a perplexing pitch for hitters to pick up out of his hand. These characteristics make Rocker’s slider an equally devastating pitch as well.

Add in a potentially average curveball and changeup, alongside improving command, and Hamel has the prototypical fourth starter profile, with the potential to play up in pro ball if the right coaching and data is implemented.

Future
    Hamel threw about 30 innings less than Rocker during the college season, so the mileage on his arm is considerably less. If the Mets want to get him going in pro ball as soon as possible, a stint of 2-3 inning outings at Low-A St. Lucie shouldn’t be out of the question.

Hamel should comfortably sit in the 12-15 range on updated prospect lists. He has the opportunity to move quickly, given how his stuff should play against low minors hitters. I would expect him to reach Double-A by the end of 2022, with an eye on being in the major league rotation plans down the line.

2021 Mets Draft - 10th - Draft Kumar Rocker RHP

Hamel May very well be the next Megill as in a guy that gets called up to the majors sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Sick Of It All; 07-13-2021 at 12:55 PM.

In the 13th round, the Pirates selected a player by the name of Owen Sharts. I shart you not.

2021 Mets Draft - 10th - Draft Kumar Rocker RHP

https://twitter.com/mlbdrafttracker/...620977669?s=21

Jordan and fellow fourth-year junior Tanner Allen formed the heart and soul of Mississippi State's College World Series championship club. A switch-hitting leadoff man and center fielder, Jordan batted .323/.417/.546 with 10 homers and nine steals in 68 games while ranking fourth in NCAA Division I with 74 runs. He's a high-energy player whose performance stands out more than his tools, but he controls the strike zone, gets on base and makes the most of his average speed.

https://twitter.com/psltoflushing/st...929211907?s=21

https://twitter.com/psltoflushing/st...250463744?s=21

https://twitter.com/psltoflushing/st...877010435?s=21

https://twitter.com/psltoflushing/st...180844032?s=21

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast