Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Milwaukee beating the Dodgers might be the best way to kill this awful expanded postseason.
    Just about every year a top 10-12 team in the NCAA loses in the first round to Vermont State A&M (the fightin' Mosquitoes!). People love "anything can happen" ****.

I think thatd give more reason, not less, for them to expand. "Tune in cause anytning can happen in the MLB playoffs! Whooooo!!!"

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Milwaukee beating the Dodgers might be the best way to kill this awful expanded postseason.
    This is basically the NCAA tournament of baseball. Anyone can win any of these series. It's gonna be madness, and that's... fun, maybe.

Baseball is usually pretty wide open in the playoffs, but this year it's just amplified. Good news is that the Cubs absolutely have a shot to win it all this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Just about every year a top 10-12 team in the NCAA loses in the first round to Vermont State A&M (the fightin' Mosquitoes!). People love "anything can happen" ****.

I think thatd give more reason, not less, for them to expand. "Tune in cause anytning can happen in the MLB playoffs! Whooooo!!!"

I donít think it works the same way for baseball. Itís not a one game series, thereís no buzzer beaters, thereís no Cinderella since they are all Mlb teams. Itís just lame when a couple crap teams are in the CS or the WS. Itís fun seeing Loyola make a run to the final four. Itís not fun seeing a sub .500 MLB team in the World Series.

For the Marlins: Alcantara, Sanchez, then Lopez.

I donít think it works the same way for baseball. Itís not a one game series, thereís no buzzer beaters, thereís no Cinderella since they are all Mlb teams. Itís just lame when a couple crap teams are in the CS or the WS. Itís fun seeing Loyola make a run to the final four. Itís not fun seeing a sub .500 MLB team in the World Series.
    I'd love to believe that. But I was just at my game this weekend, and my league is full of your typical...average fan. And man, they were jazzed at all of the crazy scenarios and the Brewers backing in and the Reds...

I think the average fan would like it. And I think the MLB would play it up with the "see? Regular season still counts" shtick.

People eat up when an 8 seed knocks out a 1 seed in the NHL and the NBA. I dont think it'd be any different in baseball.

9/30-10/2: Marlins (31-29) at Cubs (34-26) - National League Wild Card IGT

I'd love to believe that. But I was just at my game this weekend, and my league is full of your typical...average fan. And man, they were jazzed at all of the crazy scenarios and the Brewers backing in and the Reds...

I think the average fan would like it. And I think the MLB would play it up with the "see? Regular season still counts" shtick.

People eat up when an 8 seed knocks out a 1 seed in the NHL and the NBA. I dont think it'd be any different in baseball.

I dunno. I think theyíd hate watching a brewers- Astros World Series. The idea sounds fun until you have bad teams playing long series against each other.

Do people really like it when an 8 beats a 1 in the NBA? People like watching stars. Wouldnít they rather watch Giannis in the finals than the Bulls? Or Lebron instead of some scrub western team? I guess itís kind of fun because it never really happens in the NBA. Itís very rare that an 8 beats a 1. It wonít be rare in baseball if this becomes normal.

Not to mention that theyíll all hate it when their favorite team refuses to spend to improve an 85?win team because thereís little incentive to improve your seed.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-29-2020 at 07:04 PM.

I dunno. I think theyíd hate watching a brewers- Astros World Series. The idea sounds fun until you have bad teams playing long series against each other.
    Yeah that would definitely hurt ratings. But at the same time, its pretty rare for other sports to get a 7-8 Finals game.

I think the MLB's best bet is for every high seed to win. If they do, you can show the expanded playoffs are stupid and a waste of every time.

Yeah that would definitely hurt ratings. But at the same time, its pretty rare for other sports to get a 7-8 Finals game.

I think the MLB's best bet is for every high seed to win. If they do, you can show the expanded playoffs are stupid and a waste of every time.

If they stick with this, itíll happen a lot more in baseball than it does in the NBA. A lot more.

If they stick with this, itíll happen a lot more in baseball than it does in the NBA. A lot more.
    You think? I think the NHL is a far more random playoff sport (hot goalie can carry a team). And you hardly ever see that kind of match up there.

9/30-10/2: Marlins (31-29) at Cubs (34-26) - National League Wild Card IGT

You think? I think the NHL is a far more random playoff sport (hot goalie can carry a team). And you hardly ever see that kind of match up there.

Iím not a hockey person, but the best NBA teams win 75+% of the time. The best Mlb teams win closer to 65% of the time. Then factor in that we are talking about a best of 3 instead of a best of 7 and itíll happen a ton more in mlb than it does in the NBA. That first round in the NBA used to be best of 5 and they expanded it to make it harder for the bad teams. Mlb is doing best of 3. If they stay with this system Iíd bet a 1 or 2 seed loses in the WC round more than 25% of the time. Itíll happen most years, sometimes more than once per year.

It depends on how long each series is. Obviously a 3 or 5 game series is more likely to go to bad teams. The NBA and NHL is all 7.

It's fun and a great conversation for a day or two. But then reality sets in, and we have to watch the 8 seed for another series.

I love the underdog, but at the end of the day, I'd prefer the two top seeds at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    It's fun and a great conversation for a day or two. But then reality sets in, and we have to watch the 8 seed for another series.

I love the underdog, but at the end of the day, I'd prefer the two top seeds at the end.
    Oh, so would I. But I also think that there's enough excitement about the low seeds beating the high seeds that if they get that, it won't be bad for the MLB in that. I think they'd still do fine.

In the end, expanded playoffs are stupid and they water down the regular season. Just have all the high seeds win and show the low seeds had no business in the playoffs to begin with.

Oh, so would I. But I also think that there's enough excitement about the low seeds beating the high seeds that if they get that, it won't be bad for the MLB in that. I think they'd still do fine.

In the end, expanded playoffs are stupid and they water down the regular season. Just have all the high seeds win and show the low seeds had no business in the playoffs to begin with.
    Agree. I think the best thing would be that the top 4 seeds in each league are remaining after round one.

Like I said, I like upsets, but just in that moment. I always want to see the better teams play longer. After all they have the better players

I think the Cubs have a 55-60% chance of winning this series, so Iím not confident at all.

This is the best matchup they could have hoped for in this round.
    I agree.

Those three Marlins starters have been good this year. They haven't given up a lot of walks or HR, which isn't good for this Cubs offense who rely on walks and HR. It may come down to the Cubs hitters getting into that Marlins pen. Yu and Hendricks should keep the score close enough to do that.

Hopefully Yu/Hendricks go deep, we need to save the pen for game 3 if there is one.

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast