Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 55 of 99 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesus' race

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I think we approach the question of Godís divinity from different starting points. You begin with God saying he is divine, and then judging the divinity of his actions upon the premise he is divine.

I approach the question of Godís divinity by analyzing his actions and determining if the creature that behaves in that way and does those things is divine.
    It's not his behavior that makes him divine, it is his nature.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Actually not about me at all. It's about how hypocritical it all is. And how some things are literal and some are open to interpretation, as long as that interpretation jives with the feelings of the individual reading the text. Take the passages about homosexuality for example. Many, many people take them literally. But yet it's okay to wear clothing made of blended fabrics. It actually says you are not to drink alcohol in holy places, yet many places offer red wine as the blood with their services. It's basically picking and choosing what you want.
    That's just you not understanding the different types of laws in the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I dont think we NEED to either.

But this awareness is better for us. I subscribe to my religion (and many other religions) as truth, so to me the more truths we know about our world, the better off we are.

In islam our "sins and deeds" are ultimately a guide for what is best for us. When we were young we had this concept of doing things for the sake of god, but as we grew up we learned that these guidelines god gave us are for our own benefit, as an individual and as a society.
    Forgive me, but this sounds an awful lot like parents using religion to compel good behavior in children followed by thinking adults realizing they donít need God to understand how good behavior benefits society.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I just may. I am open minded about it all. Fwiw studied religion at least an hour a day for 15 years.
    A great book for any of you guys who want to know what an extremely educated man thinks about these subjects is "A Reason for God" by Timothy Keller.

So many times on here I think about the arguments presented here and how he addresses them (much better than I do) in this book.
    "But yeah...this is the BLM era and the Dems are running a mass incarceration ticket." ManRam

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    That's just you not understanding the different types of laws in the Bible.
    Explain.

According to the passages 20K cited, it said he ďstruck downĒ the firstborn.

How literally do you take struck down? Or more to the point: are you now disputing that God directly killed them despite God quite literally saying in the Bible that he will go and kill them and then going and killing them? It seems like you are reaching at this point.
    He "struck down" those kids the same way he strikes down anyone who dies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

I think youíre past it because you have no response and thus want to avoid the topic.

I think (and correct me if Iím wrong) you donít believe in the story of the plagues literally. The entire reason Iím bringing up these points is to demonstrate how problematic a literal interpretation Is.
    I believe it is literal and I await one point from you that it is problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    'Simply'? Life is an INCREDIBLE gift is it not? Just watching how the human body works, how it repairs itself, how amazing our minds can be......there's nothing simple and just that itself should be worth of praise.

I mean that's a bit different from say worshiping the burger flipper who made your Whopper, yes?
    I agree, it is an incredible gift. But no gift, no matter how incredible, excuses immorality. A murderer is not a good man no matter how many orphans he feeds at the local shelter.
    Last edited by valade16; 10-21-2020 at 03:49 PM.

It's not his behavior that makes him divine, it is his nature.
    And without his behavior and deeds the only proof we have of his divine nature is him saying so. That is not enough proof for me.

He "struck down" those kids the same way he strikes down anyone who dies.
    Sounds like you donít believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible.

But however he carried out the killings, he killed people through his direct intent who had committed no crime.

I believe it is literal and I await one point from you that it is problematic.
    I think the reason you havenít found a point that makes it problematic is you donít think God killing firstborn Egyptian babies for a crime they didnít commit is problematic...

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Well, like I've said....the Old Testament was written by people who lived long after most of the events occurred. I mean, when was written language even 'invented'? Therefore, as with any story ever told, some things change with each retelling. It is the Word of God and yes brett Jesus referred to it often...but the words were inspired by God, not written by Him. So, just like He had reasons for doing the things He did (since I'm in no way calling the OT a pure work of fiction) He also had reason to allow authors to pen those books as they did. There are obviously Christians and churches that take a far more literal view than I do, but fully true, partially true, doesn't change what I take from them as a teaching tool. Proverbs is enlightening, the Psalms are beautiful, the creation story is magical.
    I am just saying that the wording makes it pretty clear as do other writings outside of the Bible what is figurative, literally, symbolic, poetic, etc, etc

If you see a brother stumble, help. It's how iron sharpens iron.

I am just saying that the wording makes it pretty clear as do other writings outside of the Bible what is figurative, literally, symbolic, poetic, etc, etc

If you see a brother stumble, help. It's how iron sharpens iron.
    If it is so clear, how come so many Christians disagree?

Just because he created all things doesnít mean heís automatically good.
    Kinda of does. God is outside of His creation.

Hardships are an opportunity to learn, if the hardship allows us that opportunity. What I mean to say is, the baby who dies of inoperable brain cancer certainly isnít learning from that hardship unless theyíre doing so in the next life.
    That's the beauty, from this view point it looks awful, from the view point of the child, they are in a glorified body with God.

Page 55 of 99 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast