Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Biggest Waste of Talent And Best Use of Talent From WCW

I grew up in the attitude era and the subsequent invasion was an angle that could've been so much more than it actually was. Regardless of that, I want to know which wrestlers you think were used best and which ones were used worst from WCW.

Best: Chris Jericho and Ric Flair

I still remember seeing Y2J interrupt The Rock and being blown away. As a kid I watched both WWF and WCW so seeing these two go at it was an amazing opening feud. Jericho was probably the best used talent from WCW and rightfully so.

Ric Flair is the ultimate heel and putting him in Evolution was the perfect call. Guys like Eddie and Benoit had much better matches in the WWF/E but Flair's character definitely had the biggest impact.

Waste: DDP

I remember being so disappointed when I saw that DDP was the stalker. DDP was one of the best face characters in WCW and was so easily likeable. Not only that, when they finally made DDP a face he was a joke. It was a huge waste on all fronts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Well, Jericho jobbed out for nearly a year. He could easily be on the worst list. Eddie and Benoit deserve to be on the best list as well.

For the worst, I would agree with DDP, that was a terrible gimmick. Not getting a lot of the big name WCW talents hurt, but he and Booker T needed to come in with serious heat and put near the top of the card as monster heels.

I just want to get some clarifications here, are we just talking about after WCW collapsed or just through out the years? Also are we talking about people who were stars in WCW and continued or failed in WWE?

I mean if you are just talking talent that was in WCW to start and made the jump to WWF/E and had the most success you would have to say Undertaker.

If you are talking about guys just during the invasion angle type stuff I think you could throw Shane Helms' name out there for having some solid success in WWE

and when he was first brought in Booker T could have been a big waste but, then he finally picked up some momentum with the King Booker deal.

Scott Steiner could be put in the big waste category
    Last edited by PackerBum9786; 09-26-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I just want to get some clarifications here, are we just talking about after WCW collapsed or just through out the years? Also are we talking about people who were stars in WCW and continued or failed in WWE?

I mean if you are just talking talent that was in WCW to start and made the jump to WWF/E and had the most success you would have to say Undertaker.

If you are talking about guys just during the invasion angle type stuff I think you could throw Shane Helms' name out there for having some solid success in WWE

and when he was first brought in Booker T could have been a big waste but, then he finally picked up some momentum with the King Booker deal.

I think Buff Bagwell is a bigger waste than Steiner. Steiner at least had some medical issues at play. He just couldn't go at the level they wanted to, similar to Billy Gunn and his asthma.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I think Buff Bagwell is a bigger waste than Steiner. Steiner at least had some medical issues at play. He just couldn't go at the level they wanted to, similar to Billy Gunn and his asthma.
    yeah Buff would be a major waste.

Dustin Rhodes, Big Show and, William Regal could be others you could throw into great success category.

Lance Storm could be in the waste.

in a way I think you could also throw Sting into the waste category. Granted his age limited him but, I think he won what 1 out of the 3 matches he wrestled for WWE?

ultimo dragon...... loved this dude... expected more.

What about Steve Austin? What about HHH? What about Edge?

TIL that AJ Styles was in WCW as part of a tag team called Air Raid.
    Screw sabermetics.

waste: Raven

Too many what Ifs

Quote Originally Posted by hizpcstr View Post
    waste: Raven
    By WCW or by WWE. Either one could be argued.

I'd say throughout the years. Just wrestlers that jumped from WCW to WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    What about Steve Austin? What about HHH? What about Edge?

TIL that AJ Styles was in WCW as part of a tag team called Air Raid.
    I don't know if you could throw Edge in there, I think he wrestled 1 match in WCW and it was on like a house type show. I mean I suppose you can get that technical you could throw him in but, he definitely did not have more success than the Undertaker. I think Taker was more successful than any of the 3 you mentioned. I mean Austin was hot for a while and is still a top wrestler but, Taker has had the longer more successful career. And I know I might get roasted for this and want to preference that I do like Triple H but, lets face it all of his success came after he started dating the bosses daughter. He had a run thanks to the help of HBK and DX but, I don't think he would have made it to the point he is now if not for Stephanie.

Aj would be an interesting one because he went to TNA and Japan to make his name before coming to WWE, and I would say he had more success in those places than the WWE. He was basically the face of TNA, he became a major star in Japan and he came to the WWE super hot. I am not saying by any means he isn't having success in WWE, I just think he was huge coming into WWE.

Fair enough, PackerBum. I definitely would put SCSA in the same class with Undertaker. Even though UT has the right to walk away on his own terms, he really should have retired after the loss to Brock Lesnar at WM. With that said both UT and SCSA are on my top 10 of all time greats.

The other name are questionable, I admit but finding out guys like Edge, AJ Styles and even John Cena (cameo in Ready to Rumble) all work with WCW in the early careers, is interesting to me.

Dating the daughter did not hurt but neither did running with The Kliq for HHH. Even if you think nepotism played a part in HHH ascension to stardom, which I do, you still need to perform when called upon and HHH did that in spades. Nepotism aside, HHH did eventually earn his spot among the greats of the business.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Fair enough, PackerBum. I definitely would put SCSA in the same class with Undertaker. Even though UT has the right to walk away on his own terms, he really should have retired after the loss to Brock Lesnar at WM. With that said both UT and SCSA are on my top 10 of all time greats.

The other name are questionable, I admit but finding out guys like Edge, AJ Styles and even John Cena (cameo in Ready to Rumble) all work with WCW in the early careers, is interesting to me.

Dating the daughter did not hurt but neither did running with The Kliq for HHH. Even if you think nepotism played a part in HHH ascension to stardom, which I do, you still need to perform when called upon and HHH did that in spades. Nepotism aside, HHH did eventually earn his spot among the greats of the business.
    you could argue that running with The Kliq could have hurt him because if you listen to Cornette and Prichard, Triple H's career was almost killed because of the curtain call. Hall and Nash were leaving, HBK was a big draw at that point so the one that was gonna get punished was Triple H. I know he began to dig himself out from that but, hooking up with Steph definitely helped get back to the spotlight