Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: AEW Talk

AEW Talk

Been a while since I posted a discussion thread, I thought the pandemic would increase activity but it has had the reverse effect.

What does everyone think of the current state of AEW? Moxley champ nearly a year, The Jericho/Orange Cassidy feud, The falling out of the elite, the TNT Title and The Dark Order.
    Fan of Red Sox , Chicago Bears , Boston Celtics , Chase Elliott , UVA, Joshi Puroresu

2018-2019 UVA Men's Basketball National Champions

Yeah, I keep up on wrestling news but aside from the WWE PPVs, I don't watch anything.

The product has just gone downhill. I watched the first episode of AEW, but it didn't stick with me. WWE creative has been pretty poor, and I think we all know who to blame for it.

Neither show is justifying any more investment from me currently.

AEW has been fine, WWE continues to be tailored towards kids. NXT is still the WWE's best brand.

I love they are slowly building Brodie Lee up. Him demolition Cody for the TNT was a thing of beauty. Now they brought back Cody (with a new look, no more blonde) a bit too early, imo. I would have had Cody gone another month to really sell the beating he took.

As for the Elite, I have no idea of what is going on. Kenny/YB and Hangman have all acted like heels/antiheroes and there is no true babyface in the story line. If the endgame was to make Hangman a monster babyface, they are doing a good job, especially with his connection with FTR/Tully Blanchard. I need some clarification.

Brodie Lee looks good and intimidating and I can't wait till he feuds with Moxley, Archer and Cage because those will be hoss fights. The rest of the Dark Order feels like jobbers to me.

Mox is fine as champ but there does not feel like a legit threat to take his belt. Sure Cage and Archer both look promising and threatening but Moxley has already beaten Cage and Archer will get his shot but I don't expect him to win thought.

Jericho/Cassady was a really fun feud and props to Le Champion/Demo God for putting Cassady over.

Again, AEW is the better promotion by far but even then wrestling business, as a whole, is in a dead period for me.
    Screw sabermetics.

What I dislike is all of the over the top rope suicide dives. there are some moves that I was used to seeing as a finisher being used a signature move, cutter and super kick come to mind. with super kick being spammed a lot, sometimes even no selling it. we like to point fingers at wwe for watering down the wrestling part of wrestling, but now I can see why they do it. if AEW can tone down the over the top rope suicide dives with the wrestlers obviously waiting for the spot, and put more emphasis on selling a move like a cutter or superkick would be a good step for the in ring part of wrestling.

At first I liked the idea of wins and losses, but now I do not. It really hurts your midcard. you see the midcard with a subpar record( usually below .500). ex: Joey Janela, Santana, Sammy Guevara, ortiz, jack evans etc. these wrestlers can have a good match, and can have a good feuds, but what draws me away from the match is the subpar records.

Too many what Ifs

Quote Originally Posted by hizpcstr View Post
    What I dislike is all of the over the top rope suicide dives. there are some moves that I was used to seeing as a finisher being used a signature move, cutter and super kick come to mind. with super kick being spammed a lot, sometimes even no selling it. we like to point fingers at wwe for watering down the wrestling part of wrestling, but now I can see why they do it. if AEW can tone down the over the top rope suicide dives with the wrestlers obviously waiting for the spot, and put more emphasis on selling a move like a cutter or superkick would be a good step for the in ring part of wrestling.

At first I liked the idea of wins and losses, but now I do not. It really hurts your midcard. you see the midcard with a subpar record( usually below .500). ex: Joey Janela, Santana, Sammy Guevara, ortiz, jack evans etc. these wrestlers can have a good match, and can have a good feuds, but what draws me away from the match is the subpar records.
    I hate the W/L record too. If they want to do that, do something like the old TNA Bound for Glory series and have it run for a couple months and be point-based.

AEW has become straight up embarrassing. It’s pure comedy wrestling at this point and I feel more than 50% of the viewers just watch it to see a train wreck that is shaping up to be worse than TNA and WCW at their low points.

The saddest of all is Chris Jericho who has fallen off big time since “Le Champion” but still thinks everything he does is genius because his marks tell him so on his social media and his ego doesn’t allow criticism. Since losing the title he has been spending his time trying to get all these bums over with the end result being nobody still caring about the bums and him looking bad in the process. An awful way to end a great career.

Last week’s main event about sums up the state of AEW with a boring Moxley going up against a fat old dude who clearly can’t go in the ring at all. No way any wrestling show should put that on tv. If you have that match in a barn somewhere in Idaho with a $3 entree fee I’d say those people still overpaid $1,50.

People should watch Jim Cornette’s takes on the show as they are about as accurate as it gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00AOiauebjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-xmPtcWVRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sL1U3Bal_s

Nobody should ever listen to what the hateful old prick has to say. Cornetts embarrasses himself every time he opens his mouth. We get it Jim, you hate wrestling in the 2000s. Now s.t.f.u.
    Screw sabermetics.